Selling a modified car

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    Any of yall ever trade in a vehicle that has been modified? Is it legal to trade in a vehicle to a dealership with long tube headers with no cats? The car is tuned and no check engine light comes on. Thinking about trading in my car for a bigger vehicle for the family. My wifes little car aint cutting it anymore.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Driving that car on the road is illegal.
    So why are you worried about trading it?

If the dealer notices it, they probably won't, they will use that to devalue the trade significantly because they will have to fix it before they can sell it.
    If you have the part to take it back to stock, that would be best.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I traded in a modified 2006 Mustang GT in 2011. It had intake, exhaust, and suspension mods. Also, I highly doubt it would have passed an emissions test due to the secondary O2 sensor being disabled in the tune.

Currently, I have a 2013 GTI with a full turbo-back exhaust, again with the secondary O2 sensor disabled in the tune to prevent the check engine light. While the car does have a catalytic converter, it's high flow. I came close to trading it in a while back, and had no problems with dealerships lowballing me. They didn't even ask if it was modified or tuned.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I doubt most dealers would even care. In a private party sale, to someone who knows what they are getting, the mods can add value even though it won't help with the blue book value. The dealer won't add value from non factory mods. I sold a 06 STI, 400whp, highly modified, to a person who flew in from Komyfornia to drive it home. You can get more for a car selling to an individual if you chose that route. I once traded in a F150 with headers and full exhaust with no cat, to a dealer and they never said a word about it. Good luck.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    A vehicle cannot be legally sold if you tamper with the emission system w/o it being recertified. There is federal law. Not sure about the Louisiana state law but every other stated has some sort of statute. Many-many states have annual emission checks that have to be done and the only way to get past the check is to register it as a non-road vehicle.

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    Thanks for the info . When and If I do pull the trigger on selling it or trading it in I will probably just slap some high flow cats on the mids and call it a day. Sad part is I don't know how long it will take to get my courage up to sell the car. I love that damn goat.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Sad part is I don't know how long it will take to get my courage up to sell the car. I love that damn goat.

I'm in the same boat. Been considering moving mine, being I never drive it. The thought of getting so little for a car I have a pile of money in keeps me from moving forward (for now anyway).

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    dealers wouldnt care. I traded in two heavily modified mustangs and never once got asked the details of the vehicle. Just dont expect to raise your trade in value BECAUSE OF the mods - they really dont care either way. I worked a very short time in the finance office at a dealership in fayetteville, nc - we've had people trade in cows, tractors, campers ... if it's got a title, they'll discuss it.

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I have heard (not confirmed) that when trading in a diesel that's been fully deleted you have to sign something taking the legal liability off the dealership. I've wondered if that's true. I have read that the feds are starting to come down hard on companies that make delete kits or places that install them.
    I know this is about gas burners but made me think about it.

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    I parted every aftermarket part I had on my car when i traded it, mostly because I did not have the time or the patience to sell it "as is" on my own. Fortunately I kept every factory part I took off so It was pretty easy. I had a cat-back exhaust system so I didn't have to worry about pulling headers.

Top Bottom