Go Buy Something from a Local Gun Shop!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Just thought I would share an article that I know would find a home here with like minded people.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2015/07/16/go-buy-something-from-a-local-gun-shop/

Shortly after I began driving, my best friend and I would make a weekly (sometimes more often) pilgrimage to a local, hole-in-the-wall gun shop. It was way, way, way out on back roads in an outbuilding that was erected next to the store owner’s home. We went back again and again to see what was new, what found its way to the used rack, and to pick up ammo for our next range trip. The owner remembered us by name after our second or third trip and always treated us well in spite of the fact that we were kids with no money and likely a major pain in his rear.

We developed a real friendship with him and some of the regulars over time. He would even let us use his tools for gunsmithing projects, help customers from behind the counter, empty freshly delivered pallets full of reloading components (which was actually fun back then), eat the jerky sticks that he made everyone but us pay for, and even let us take a beer or two from the Kegerator in the back (when we were finally of drinking age, of course). Eventually, we were no longer kids with no money… We were young adults with jobs which came with cash flow (though limited) and there was no question as to where we would spend our newly acquired wealth.

I have long since moved out of the area where all this took place but much of what I learned in that gun shop is still with me. I have heard from friends in the area that it is closed now which means that other young men who could benefit from hearing the wisdom of old timers around the counter, some good-natured hazing, and a little bit of work unloading pallets will miss out.

Owning a brick and mortar gun store is hard these days. Smaller shops often just can’t compete with the pricing offered at online retailers. The smarter shops have adjusted by performing FFL transfers so that they can get a piece of all those internet gun sales. Even then, it can be hard to keep the doors open when your margins are tight and your volume is low. Small gun shops all across the country are closing.

I suspect many of you have had experiences similar to mine. You probably remember a gun shop that absolutely captivated you as a young man. Maybe you even owe part of who you are to those old timers like I do. Unfortunately, I suspect many of you also know that the gun shop you are remembering as you read this has closed its doors. You probably know of several others who have come and gone too.

Well, I think that stinks and I am tired of seeing it happen.

My closest gun store, Wrenco Arms, has a new owner and I dropped by a week ago during their grand re-opening to check out the store for the first time. It would probably be considered small for some but it had reasonable prices and a good selection of guns and gear. I was greeted with a smile, a look in the eye, and a friendly hello. It was a great first impression and so I went back yesterday with money in hand to purchase a WASR-10 (to be henceforth known as the Heinous WASRBeast).

I spent time talking with some of the customers and the new owner. He stated that things had been slow and I shared with him that others I know “in the industry” have stated the same thing. That probably isn’t any consolation when you are the one paying the electric bill but I meant it as an encouragement. I marveled at the fact that he had not one, but two Glock 43s on the shelf at decent prices which probably indicates that it has indeed been slow.

We did the deal, shook hands, and I said I would be back for a few FFL transfers and who knows what else in the future. I hope to drop in often because it seems to be a great gun store and I am glad to have it around. I could have paid less for a WASR-10 online but we agreed on a price that worked for both of us. I got to hang out in his shop, have a nice time, look the gun over in person, and take it home right away. That is worth something to me.

Most shooters would say they are glad to have a gun store in their town but I wonder if many are actually doing anything to keep them there. If you want that gun store to be there next month, you have to help pay their rent this month. It is true that, in most cases, the local shop won’t be able to compete with online prices but they may be able to get close enough that being able to look the gun over in person and shake a man’s hand after the deal makes it worth a little extra money.

If you like your local gun shop and want to see it stick around, you better start voting with your wallet. Go buy a gun. If you can’t buy a gun, buy some cleaning or reloading supplies. Heck, go buy a single PMAG. Just go buy something that you might otherwise have bought online. While you are there, shake the owners hand and introduce yourself.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Good Advice!

A vast majority of people have no friggin clue, how all that works. I call it Olive Garden mentality!

I hate to say it, but Bayou Shooter is a good example of how far out of one's way some will go to save a dollar on gun and gun related items. There are a billion threads that show it.

And I get it! There are some examples that are just too hard to pass up! But buying 50 rounds of .22's from Academy at $5.00 because Jims, or Hebert's, or any other local guy has it at $6.00 WILL eventually come back to haunt this "gun thing" we all take for granted.

Worse than that is most not knowing how much these local guys give back to the cause! And believe me, I know!

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Very nice article, I come from a small town (although I currently live in BR) and love to stop by there when I'm in town and shopping around for a new rifle or ammo. Its the only shop in town and has been around for as long as I can remember. Im happy to have them there and hope they don't go anywhere anytime soon.

Thanks for sharing freedive.

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    I come from the Houma/Thibodaux area where, 15 years ago, there were not many choices as far as gun stores go. It was either Songys, Houma Auto Parts (back when they sold mostly car parts), and Tri-Parish.

We are so fortunate in the Baton Rouge area to have a top distributor in Lipsey's, great local stores that stock pretty much everything you could ever want, both indoor and outdoor ranges, and a handful of very talented gunsmiths.

mdr

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Great post. I feel that I was taken care of by Bayou Pawn in Walker. I bought a g43 yesterday. When I got home I saw a couple of nicks or imperfections of the finish on the slide. I brought it back to Bayou Pawn and he traded it out with another. I feel that he didn't have to swap but did, so I'm happy. By the way price was $449.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I used to hang out at 10-8 tactical a lot, but after they closed I really didn't have another shop where I really got to know anyone. I do like the guys are Jefferson gun, they treat me well. Just don't have the time to run from the westbank to Kenner as often as I used to.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Great read. This write up describes the exact scenario that puts a paycheck in my bank account every week. And I am more than thankful to have my job and the oppourtunity to help the customer in a brick and morter/mom n pop setting.

Thanks for the post. I enjoyed it.

Also ya'll come see me at GGW...SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNSHOP!

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I used to hang out at 10-8 tactical a lot, but after they closed I really didn't have another shop where I really got to know anyone. I do like the guys are Jefferson gun, they treat me well. Just don't have the time to run from the westbank to Kenner as often as I used to.
    You know you can come hang out at the shop...we even have cans now! :p

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I try to spend my money at Interstate Guns as much as possible. I'd like to visit the local shops sometimes, but they are typically closed by the time I get off work (or are only open a few hours on Saturdays).

My first trip to IG, I dropped $400 on parts and I was just going to "look" :mamoru:

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I try to spend my money at Interstate Guns as much as possible. I'd like to visit the local shops sometimes, but they are typically closed by the time I get off work (or are only open a few hours on Saturdays).

My first trip to IG, I dropped $400 on parts and I was just going to "look" :mamoru:

Funny thing is that so far its the only place I walk out of and don't feel guilty dropping a dime. I always feel like I am well informed and never pushed into something I don't need.

One thing is for sure, as far as any optic needs I may have; it’s the ONLY place I'm purchasing from! It’s like buying a suit! They tailor your optic for your needs to a T! Example: I walk in needing a scope for hogs. I was asked about my platform; price range, light conditions, and if it would be dedicated to the weapon or removed when not needed. I was even informed about the magnification and light transmission suited for my needs since higher magnification is not necessarily better for that specific need.

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    I try my best to spend what little money I have with the local guy. Shooters Club, Jefferson Gun, Nick's, Max's Choice, Bayou Bullets are my top place to go for supply's. Sometimes an online price is just to good to pass up.
    A lot of the time if you talk to your local supplier, he will be willing to work with you on a price. All you have to is ask.

Bryan

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I try my best to spend what little money I have with the local guy. Shooters Club, Jefferson Gun, Nick's, Max's Choice, Bayou Bullets are my top place to go for supply's. Sometimes an online is just to good to pass up.
    A lot of the time if you talk to your local supplier, he will be willing to work with you on a price. All you have to is ask.

Bryan

Just remember though, online sales and big box stores can be strong armed into no longer selling guns or gun related products. A local guy, who is invested in his/her community, is less likely to allow government and/or pc winds to change their business! And, a community that rallies around a local guy who may be under political attack is more likely to be successful than not.

Keep all eyes on the "Big Picture!"

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Just remember though, online sales and big box stores can be strong armed into no longer selling guns or gun related products. A local guy, who is invested in his/her community, is less likely to allow government and/or pc winds to change their business! And, a community that rallies around a local guy who may be under political attack is more likely to be successful than not.

Keep all eyes on the "Big Picture!"

Oh I know. What little I do buy online comes from firearm related sites.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    For the most part, I've never worried about paying a little more to keep the money local. If academy has 50rds of .22lr for $5 and the local guy has the same box for $6 I'm buying from the local guy every time!

I wanna thank the OP for this thread! And I hope your message gets through to people that would rather save a couple bucks to buy from the big box stores.

Top Bottom