M1 Garand Universal Gas Plug?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I recently purchased a universal gas plug for my M1 due to the increasing difficulty in finding M2 ball ammo. My question is this, if I set it properly to handle aftermarket ammo then remove it and put the stock plug back in to fire M2 ball again, can I then replace with the universal plug again without adjusting it since I have already set it? If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate it, I just wanted to get some understanding before tuning in the new gas plug. Thanks in advance.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Just my speculation:
    I would guess the plug is adjusted to the ammo and it would be good as long as the ammo didn't change. Adjusted to specific ammo = Adjusted to specific ammo. Now if you have a change in specific ammo that may require a readjust. If you have a change in temp that may require a readjust.

Hornady makes Garand safe ammo and there is one plug i need to find a link to.

Fact or BS - i don't know
    http://www.garandgear.com/ported-gas-plug.html

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=78653

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    People have a severe misunderstanding of what an adjustable gas plug does on an m1. It is strictly to optimize the dwell time on a national match m1 garand to take advantage of the barrel harmonics and reduce group size. They are of little benefit on a usgi gun, and even is used to fire ammo with very slow powder, will give you cycling problems.
    There is no shortage of m2, cmp sells tons of it and hxp, the Greek equivalent.
    Hornady, creedmoor, and others make garand specific ammo, but as long as u stick to 150gr ammo by the major makers , you'll be fine as 150 gr ammo is loaded with faster powder.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    People have a severe misunderstanding of what an adjustable gas plug does on an m1. It is strictly to optimize the dwell time on a national match m1 garand to take advantage of the barrel harmonics and reduce group size. They are of little benefit on a usgi gun, and even is used to fire ammo with very slow powder, will give you cycling problems.
    There is no shortage of m2, cmp sells tons of it and hxp, the Greek equivalent.
    Hornady, creedmoor, and others make garand specific ammo, but as long as u stick to 150gr ammo by the major makers , you'll be fine as 150 gr ammo is loaded with faster powder.

Where did you get this information about the adjustable gas plug? I thought the plug could reduce pressure and decrease battering of op rod when using higher weight and hotter loads. I have received this information from the plug manufacturer's website. From what I understand, you can adjust it to the point where the the bolt won't even cycle completely. It shouldn't give cycling problems if the ammo is consistent and you have adjusted the plug properly. I am attempting to get as much information as possible so any help is appreciated.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Saintsfan6,
    Akajun knows his stuff. The issues is not only peak pressure but the pressure curve. So burn rate of the powder is one of the factors along with port timing. The port is where it is. IE it doesn't change. So the plug is a way to change timing. It is the slower powders that are a problem, which seems counter intuitive.

Read the info on this site.

Last edited:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I am by no means questioning what Akajun knows, his input is much appreciated. I personally have not heard that they were useful only in national match grade rifles and not usgi rifles. I am happy to hear all opinions and recommendations as I sincerely love my M1 and want only whats best for it! Thanks for the link and input!

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I got it from shooting and building m1 garand rifles and being in the national match world for the past 20 yrs. the manufacturer won't tell you that cause he wants to sell you a plug , but the old nm armorers back when the garand was still used would actually have different solid plugs drilled with various sizes holes. They would use them accordingly to tube the rifles, or to bleed off excess pressure in 1000yd guns with very hot reloads that were borderline dangerous.
    The adjustable gas plug does the same thing with one plug, but a standard m1 is only a 2-3 moa, and the accuracy tuning on a standard garand is good only to about . 5 to 1. Plus unless your gas cylinder is peened and timed, your getting varying dwell time anyway on each shot.
    If you want one buy it, it won't hurt, but it won't help either, and you shouldn't be shooting loads that need it anyway when there is a plethora of good ammo around.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I got it from shooting and building m1 garand rifles and being in the national match world for the past 20 yrs. the manufacturer won't tell you that cause he wants to sell you a plug , but the old nm armorers back when the garand was still used would actually have different solid plugs drilled with various sizes holes. They would use them accordingly to tube the rifles, or to bleed off excess pressure in 1000yd guns with very hot reloads that were borderline dangerous.
    The adjustable gas plug does the same thing with one plug, but a standard m1 is only a 2-3 moa, and the accuracy tuning on a standard garand is good only to about . 5 to 1. Plus unless your gas cylinder is peened and timed, your getting varying dwell time anyway on each shot.
    If you want one buy it, it won't hurt, but it won't help either, and you shouldn't be shooting loads that need it anyway when there is a plethora of good ammo around.

Thanks for the advice. I only put 150gr rounds through my rifle, most M2 Ball but I would like to start using commercial 150gr ammo. Ive read various opinions about using commercial ammo so figured I would look into it. So as long as Im using 150 gr rounds I shouldn't have to worry about damaging my op rod?

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Correct, btw some of the best ammo for a garand is the 150gr American eagle you can get at academy and wal Mart.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Correct, btw some of the best ammo for a garand is the 150gr American eagle you can get at academy and wal Mart.

I appreciate the help, this will put my mind at ease while at the range with my M1. Thanks again.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Excellent thread guys..I often wondered the same thing concerning what is safe to feed my Garand that I inherited from my Dad after he passed. AKajun thanks for your valued opinion on these rifles. Love the Garand its son the M1A..

Garandimal

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    axebuilder-albums-miscellaneous-picture52670-holy-thread-resurrection-batman.jpg

If you can't get your M2 Ball in the form of HXP from the CMP...?

1.0 500 Round Can - 30-06 FMJ 150 grain Prvi Partizan M1 Garand Ammo PP347 - Just put a dinger on it and wait 'till it comes back in stock.
    1.1 500 round case - 30-06 Springfield 150 Grain FMJ Ammo optimized for M1 Garand Rifle - PP348 - Blue Box
    1.2 20 round box - 30-06 Springfield 150 Grain FMJ Ammo optimized for M1 Garand Rifle - PP348 - Blue Box

2. Garandgear Ported Gas Plug - Just swap out the USGI Gas Cylinder Lock Screw w/ this one, and shoot anything 30-06.

3. ...Including this 20 rd box - 30-06 165 grain soft point Prvi Partizan ammo PP342 - which is also what I generally hunt w/.

GR

Shadeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Hammond
    Saintsfan6,
    Akajun knows his stuff. The issues is not only peak pressure but the pressure curve. So burn rate of the powder is one of the factors along with port timing. The port is where it is. IE it doesn't change. So the plug is a way to change timing. It is the slower powders that are a problem, which seems counter intuitive.

Read the info on this site.

I have this plug. Don't waste your money. I could never get my M1 to cycle with any ammo.

Top Bottom