Lock for gun safe. Key pad or dial??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I am in the market for a safe. I have found what I want, but am not sure about the lock. The convenience of an electronic key pad would be nice, but I have that nagging concern about it being over ridden and/or the always looming EMP. A dial would be a bit less cost and would have not battery or EMP issues, but might be more of a hassle to use.

Any thoughts on this appreciated. I don't think I will be in the safe that often. Our carry/house guns are normally out and available to use. Those are the ones normally going to the range as well. Safe will be more storage than daily use.

Thanks..

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I've had a SG electric keypad on my RSC for 7-8 years without an issue. It has a 9v battery that I change every year Jan 1st.
    I have several friends that have dial locks that now wish they went electric, none the other way around. Now I wouldn't buying the cheapest thing I could possibly find but that's another discussion for another day.
    I understand that people believe electronics have a greater tendency to fail than mechanical devices but both are man made and neither will last forever.

Now about that EMP ...

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Mine has a dial with no issues, Have some smaller boxes with key pads and they work ok, changing batteries hasnt been a big deal on those. If you go with a keypad I would definetly consider getting one with a keyed overide.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Many of the electronic locks are now supposedly shielded from emp attack may want to research or ask your vendor to be sure if you choose to go the E lock route. There are also options to have both e lock and dial.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have electronic key pads on mine, 1 uses a 9v, and the other uses 4-6 AA batteries I think. The AA battery one, had an issue once where a battery blew, So now I only use lithium Ion batteries for it now.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    A friend had two with electronic locks and had to have both replaced. They went within 2 months of each other. Put dial locks on both. For what it's worth, I have 3 safes, all with dials.

Beauxdog

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Electronic lock keypads rarely ever go bad. It's always the solenoid that goes first. It'll only cost you a few hundred bucks to get a locksmith to open it for you and install a dial lock once it goes. Of course, there will be that awkward hole in the door of your safe when he's done.

Get a dial safe.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I went through the same thing a few months ago. After reading about so many failures on the keypads on the internet, and how people couldnt get into their safe for extended periods at a time, i went with the dial. It takes 10-15 seconds to open it, and i know it will open every time unless its a failure on my part.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Not that I was looking for it when I bought the safe, but mine has a key override. The keyhole is behind the battery compartment in the keypad. You might investigate the brands you are considering. I didn't find out about it until I brought the safe home.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    I have an S&G dial on mine and after some time it becomes muscle memory. Wont even need to count the turns you will just know. I can go through the unlocking sequence on mine in about 6 seconds or so now. Needless to say I practiced it a lot because like a dummy I locked the combo tag in the safe after buying it and couldn't remember one of the numbers and took me a while to get it open again.
    Now if you feel the need to splurge companys like Fort Knox offer both dial and digtal pads on the same safe as a redundant system. That way it the keypad fails you have a dial backup.....just a thought.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I went through the same thing a few months ago. After reading about so many failures on the keypads on the internet, and how people couldnt get into their safe for extended periods at a time, i went with the dial. It takes 10-15 seconds to open it, and i know it will open every time unless its a failure on my part.

Bingo.

Dial for the win.

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    I'd go with what the cowboys used to use waay back wild west stagecoach days. They never used those electronic combination locks we have today. 9 Volt and AA batteries were scarce and hard to come by out on the frontier.

Tried and true.

That's what's on our safe.

Dirty

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I had a Sentry/Winchester safe w. an electronic keypad (no key backup). The mechanism failed 2 months after the warranty expired. $700.00 and two locksmiths later, I got it fixed. I'll never own another safe w. anything but a dial, non-electronic, lock mechanism.

thunt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2015
    Papillion
    I zapped my touch pad with static electricity when I walked across the room and went to open it. They way 200 just for the part and all my receipts to prove its mine before they send me the part. Never again. Only dials for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hseII

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2015
    Georgia
    My Cannon American Eagle is on its 2nd tumbler, which is a few uses away from non working: whatever you get, spend the $ 1 time.

The cost savings will more than be spent on a locksmith getting into your safe because of subpar equipment.

Last edited:

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I saw a locksmith on FB posted a box of keypads that he had removed and replaced. He said it's a very good business for him. But there will be quite a few people that will chime in that there lock is trouble free. I've heard of enough problems to keep me away.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom