La state police technology

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    I was driving Westbound, over the lulling bridge. a la state trooper merges onto the bridge.

The speed limit is 70 in that area.

Im in moving traffic, that's travelingat ear 60mph speeds,. Of course every Car, imediately transitions to the right, lane when the white suburban, and blue lights are spotted. drivers tend to do such

This is the first time I've noticed this action, but the the trooper, slowly moves into my blind spot, in the left lane. He stays there a moment, then moves ahead to the car ahead, and repeats his the action.
    This is done, to this to every car ahead of me.

It was obvious, all of the civilian vehicles, were driving, well below speed limit.

Is it possible, that his vehicle was outfitted with a license plate reader / scanner, and he was retrieving registration, insurance info on the fly, verifying their status?

To make it clear, this is not written to bash or say anynthing negative, about law enforcement, I'm just curious,. Are our officers outfitted with such technology.

Please no police bashing

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I was driving Westbound, over the lulling bridge. a la state trooper merges onto the bridge.

The speed limit is 70 in that area.

Im in moving traffic, that's travelingat ear 60mph speeds,. Of course every Car, imediately transitions to the right, lane when the white suburban, and blue lights are spotted. drivers tend to do such

This is the first time I've noticed this action, but the the trooper, slowly moves into my blind spot, in the left lane. He stays there a moment, then moves ahead to the car ahead, and repeats his the action.
    This is done, to this to every car ahead of me.

It was obvious, all of the civilian vehicles, were driving, well below speed limit.

Is it possible, that his vehicle was outfitted with a license plate reader / scanner, and he was retrieving registration, insurance info on the fly, verifying their status?

To make it clear, this is not written to bash or say anynthing negative, about law enforcement, I'm just curious,. Are our officers outfitted with such technology.

Please no police bashing

License plate readers read tons of plates every second. No need to pull beside and sit there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    It is against policy to use the computer in the vehicle while the vehicle is moving.

I saw one texting and driving the other day. Passed me up. What would happen if I called the SO and reported the unit number and what was seen? No one is immune to the dangers of texting and driving no matter the badge or uniform. If he got killed in an accident, would his family not suffer the same as like if duty?

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Texting is ok if used in the line of his/her work.

32:300.5
    B. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to the following:

(1) Any law enforcement officer, firefighter, or operator of an authorized emergency vehicle while engaged in the actual performance of his official duties.

(2) An operator of a moving motor vehicle using a wireless telecommunications device to:

(a) Report illegal activity.

(b) Summon medical or other emergency help.

(c) Prevent injury to a person or property.

(d) Relay information between a transit or for-hire operator and that operator's dispatcher, in which the device is permanently affixed to the vehicle.

(e) Navigate using a global positioning system.

(3) A physician or other health care provider using a wireless telecommunications device to communicate with a hospital, health clinic or the office of the physician, or to otherwise provide for the health care of an individual or medical emergency through a text-based communication.

Last edited:

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Not to thread jack, but kind of on topic. My son's truck was stolen on 6-12-2015, in Jefferson Parish, from his apartment complex. Replaced with another truck. Got a call from JPSO last Thursday night that they found his truck. Officer's car was rigged with plate reader cameras and was driving to a detail when he got a hit. He wasn't looking for the truck, thief never took the plate off of the vehicle, and plate reader hit. Officer told me they have 4 vehicles outfitted with this and computer reads all four cameras at once. Truck was less than a mile from my son's apartment. Only thing broken was the keyhole in the door handle and the ignition lock.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Not to thread jack, but kind of on topic. My son's truck was stolen on 6-12-2015, in Jefferson Parish, from his apartment complex. Replaced with another truck. Got a call from JPSO last Thursday night that they found his truck. Officer's car was rigged with plate reader cameras and was driving to a detail when he got a hit. He wasn't looking for the truck, thief never took the plate off of the vehicle, and plate reader hit. Officer told me they have 4 vehicles outfitted with this and computer reads all four cameras at once. Truck was less than a mile from my son's apartment. Only thing broken was the keyhole in the door handle and the ignition lock.

That's great. People get all silly about LPRs with privacy etc but they are a great tool for LE and therefore help LE serve the public better and more efficiently.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    its not all about privacy. its about correct usage and intentions. Majority of the "techie" tools, given to Our LE are designed with public benefit / safety in in mind. The problem arises, as with anything, when these tool are used, by bad people, for malicious purposes.
    I am not against arming our LE, to make their jobs easier. and enable them to assist the public more efficiently, but I'm also aware, that tools can work against them, and us, if accessed by the wrong individuals.

anyways, i honestly was only curious if LSP had such technology

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yes. They do.

Some of them can automatically flag data mismatches, such as a registered vehicle being red instead of blue. Useful for plate swapping detection.

They can run 11 plates per second on a sunny day, so vehicles don't have to be carefully inspected.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Some of them can automatically flag data mismatches, such as a registered vehicle being red instead of blue. Useful for plate swapping detection.

They can run 11 plates per second on a sunny day, so vehicles don't have to be carefully inspected.

Are you talking about the ones on the cars, or the ones on cameras on the interstates and what not? I don't see how the cars could possibly run 11 per second...the cars would have to be freaking zooming by!

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Sitting on the side of the road, on the cars. Think a multi-lane (3-4+ lane) highway with heavy traffic. As long as there is a visible plate, it can be captured and scanned almost instantly.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    So you know eventually, tech will scan your plates, geotag them, and show time and location. 10 miles down the get scanned again by another camera. The server will calculate average speed between the 2 locations, and compare it to your true arrival time. Too fast and your on the speeder list.

(jokingly) they need facial recognition, to scan and catch bitchs that don't pay child support. :

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So you know eventually, tech will scan your plates, geotag them, and show time and location. 10 miles down the get scanned again by another camera. The server will calculate average speed between the 2 locations, and compare it to your true arrival time. Too fast and your on the speeder list.

(jokingly) they need facial recognition, to scan and catch bitchs that don't pay child support. :

They already have the first thing setup in many locations all over the US. No joke.

And facial recognition is used more than you would think in some place, haha!

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I predict Ronald Reagan masks will be sales leaders once facial recognition becomes widespread. Or at least the sunglasses with a fake nose and ears.

Top Bottom