Looking for recommendations for training source.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I'd like to ask if anyone could recommend a source for a defensive handgun training course, preferably along I-12 between Slidell and Baton Rouge(N.O. area would be OK too). It would be for 3-4 people who already have CCP and punch paper at an indoor range every few months. We'd like to get some training on drawing from a holster, engaging a threat, etc. Thanks.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Why not start shooting USPSA competition. It will give you the practice you want along with the pressure of competing against the clock and others. You can look up "uspsa.org" for information& rules or try "lagator.org" for dates and times of local matches in south Louisiana.

Beauxdog

Armbruster Armory

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Lafayette
    Advantage Group out of Robert and VATA Group out of Slidell could both probably recommend one of their courses to you which would meet your needs; I have attended classes with both of them and highly recommend them. Both of them are regular posters to the board and I think they are both BS sponsors.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I have trained with VATA, Phobos Solutions, and Advantage Group. All three put on excellent classes and any of them will surely fit your requirements.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I just did the gunfighter 1 & 2 with advantage group. That was some of the best money I've ever spent. I need to try to get in another class soon.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Because there are plenty of great options that are a) sponsors and b) haven't been banned from BayouShooter.

So we are only allowed to recommend site sponsors now? That seems fair and logical :confused:

Just cause someone isn't a sponsor and may have pissed off the mods doesn't mean they don't put on good training. That's kinda narrow-minded.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    So we are only allowed to recommend site sponsors now? That seems fair and logical :confused:

Just cause someone isn't a sponsor and may have pissed off the mods doesn't mean they don't put on good training. That's kinda narrow-minded.

And there would be no point in paying for a sponsorship or not pissing off the mods if you got the same benefits. Crazy narrow-minded logic, I know.

Now if anyone really cared about helping the OP, this will get back on topic.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    And there would be no point in paying for a sponsorship or not pissing off the mods if you got the same benefits. Crazy narrow-minded logic, I know.

Now if anyone really cared about helping the OP, this will get back on topic.

My recommendation isn't a sponsor so......

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Had goo experiences with VATA, have enjoyed the range that avatar uses at Robert, I've heard good things about nate, but never taken his classes.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Look up Templar Tactical on facebook, they are POST instructors that may be able to set something like what you are looking for. They do CCP classes once a month or so, but certainly have the skills in the areas you mention and may be willing to schedule something for your group. They are in Slidell.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Look up Templar Tactical on facebook, they are POST instructors that may be able to set something like what you are looking for. They do CCP classes once a month or so, but certainly have the skills in the areas you mention and may be willing to schedule something for your group. They are in Slidell.

I agree, and there are several well qualified LEO Instructors in Livingston Parish. The Lead LA. CHP Instructor for LPSO is a POST Firearms Instructor, a CCPT Instructor, works in a Special Division and is a long time Special Response Team member and even though he is not a BS Sponsor he is Well Qualified to Instruct people on Defensive Tactics and Defensive Shooting.
    If the Mods feel this response is not appropriate delete it.

Just thought I would add this: Any training such as USPSA is good for the shooter but many things taught in competition Are Not Good Defensive Shooting Tactics..

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You guys are reading way too much into the sponsor thing. If you paid attention you would have noticed other non-sponsors mentioned that I'm fine with. We do encourage people to support those that support the community, but it's not a requirement to be mentioned (unless it's flagrant repetitive shilling).

The bigger issue is he was banned, is no longer part of this community, and will not be promoted here. End of story. Don't like it, find another thread to post in.

Back on topic.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    JPB,
    you are correct that competition does not make for good tactics. Just trying to show that competing under the gun as it were is good practice. It sure as hell beats putting holes in paper at 10 yards. Most folks are only trained if being attacked by a B-7 target.

Beauxdog

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    JPB,
    you are correct that competition does not make for good tactics. Just trying to show that competing under the gun as it were is good practice. It sure as hell beats putting holes in paper at 10 yards. Most folks are only trained if being attacked by a B-7 target.

Beauxdog

I Concur!

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Was there some reason my suggestion was deleted?

On topic, I recommend Phobos Solutions, they are a sponsor and I've taken most of my training with them. I've also trained with Advantage Group, they too are site sponsors I believe and put on a top notch class.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom