Katrina 10 Years Later? Enough already!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So unless you were hiding under a rock on Ceres (a dwarf planet), with your eyes and ears poked out, you probably heard of this little natural occurrence know as hurricane Katrina. The most costly natural disaster in the nations history. You know, the storm that killed 1500 people.

What you wouldn't know is how tired people are of hearing about it. Especially people from New Orleans. However, as interesting as some aspects of that storm and subsequent disaster was; what is with this fixation about the Lower 9th Ward? It is infuriating to hear ANY Katrina reminiscing due to this forced homage to a ******** known as the 9th Ward. Being from N.O. all my life, I know what I am talking about.

So why was the dumbass down there at a new community center in the 9th Ward to commemorate the anniversary? Why does the media constantly refer to this once impoverished empty, crime filled area of N.O. on every mention of Katrina? Who in the hell are they pandering to? Is it because of white guilt? Because the area was predominately black? Had any of them know what was there before the storm, they probably wouldn't give it an afterthought. So let me help those of you that don't know why it is a phony homage.

Historically, the 9th ward really didn't have any outstanding features save for Holy Cross School, Louisiana National Guard HQ, original New Orleans style shotgun houses, and it is where Fats Domino lived.
    Economically the 9th Ward was one of the poorest neighborhoods in all of New Orleans with historically high crime.
    Culturally, and except for some people personal belongings like Fats' piano, I doubt there were treasure troves of important pieces of New Orleans history lost like irreplaceable photos, relics, and generational history.

Conversely, look at the other places in New Orleans that had the exact same level of flooding. Gentilly, Lakeview, Lake Vista, Uptown, Lake lawn/Metarie, City Park, Mid City, N.O. East, St. Bernard, Chalmette, etc. Not sure where all this is? Google map it.

Just to put things in perspective, my family house in Lakeview was under 11 feet of water. Just the photos alone for one family with generations of native New Orleanians in a family tree are immeasurable. Add to that priceless guns, artifacts, centuries old antiquities, personal belongings, inherited family heirlooms, etc. Multiply that by the tens of thousands of households in the areas other than the 9th ward.

If you didn't know any better you would think that the Lower 9th Ward is southeast Louisiana's equivalent to Mecca for Arabs. It just doesn't make sense. I don't care that the news media and historians give the 9th Ward equal respect as the other places in New Orleans, but to prop this place up as some irreplaceable culturally iconic spot in the history of Katrina above and beyond all of the other neighborhoods is not only disingenuous it's down right insulting!

BTW; it's going to happen again! ;)

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I didn't like how on a lot of the footage people were complaining where is the police, help, etc. I lived in Meraux before Katrina and a few years after also, and I remember distinctly that the St. Bernard sheriffs office knocked door to door warning EVERYONE, that you need to evcuate due to mandatory evacuation notice, and that if you were to stay, you would be without medical or govt help. And to be prepared. So I do feel bad that people lose thier house/belongings like I did, but we were forewarned to leave. Sad people had to die but I haven't stayed for a hurricane since Katrina. If they say leave, I pack my car, hard drive with all important info and back up of photos.

I also don't like how Obama was on tv saying there's still work to be done Bc of the number of people living in poverty (that's an issue across the whole state of Louisiana along with Mississippi) and also that the average white household makes more money than the average black house hold. Why do they have to bring race into the equation, in neither white nor black and I can't stand the polarizing of our people. How is it fair to the rest of us?

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    It's just about agendas and how things work so much better when we just learn to work with the government. Only the "correct" government though. Saw Kathleen Blanco still spouting off about how it would have been different if the "Bush administration hadn't been so difficult to work with". Made me physically ill. Come to think of it, that would have happened even if she hadn't opened her mouth.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Ochsner gave out shirts and pins to celebrate 10 years after Katrina...

When I heard that... :eh:
    Then I saw the shirt and pin... :crazy:

There is nothing to celebrate about a natural disaster.

I lost my home, I lost pets, I lost sentimental items, and it separated my family. Let's all celebrate! :mad:

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Like a lot of other people on this board, I found myself called upon to see and do things i would much rather forget. Not because it was my job or anything, simply because there was no one else. The REAL heroes are the cops and 1st responders who somehow held it all together during all that and still are to this day. Think they would like a pin and a T shirt?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Well NO is still waiting on the government to step in and help while Mississippi began rebuilding almost immediately. Seems we wait for hand outs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Emp,

He's a politician, and a liberal at that. It is to be expected. I do have to say of all the speeches, landrieu's was the least political, but that's not saying much. Needless to say it was awkward for me to be th the crowd and be one of the only two "attendees" not clapping every 5 seconds.

I noted no mention of the efforts of first responders. Not LE, EMS, Military, NG and others. No mention of the devastation to Lakeview, St Tammany, the MS Gulf Coast of the follow up impact of Rita to our West.

He spent 5 seconds on the new VA hospital and Vets, so he could brag how he and Landrieu "ended veteran homelessness in NOLA". Guess he hasn't actually looked around, cause there are still homeless vets everywhere down there!!

It was a lefty liberal love fest about how Bush and the Repubs dropped the ball. Guess they missed the Dem mayor and gov at the time......

And, yes!!! IT HAS BEEN 10 YEARS!!! Enough already.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Now the OP is experiencing what the rest of the Gulf Coast saw during the immediate aftermath of Katrina. According to the national news, Katrina only hit NOLA. Almost no coverage for the MS coast or the Northshore. Almost everything from Port Arthur TX to Abbeville was flooded out a month later during Rita, but the national media was still in NOLA. Think there will be documentaries about Johnson Bayou and Cameron in a few weeks?

I'm still waiting for my free credit card to use at a strip joint or to buy Gucci shoes so I can maintain my self-esteem.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Katrina is certainly nothing I want to celebrate! Its something I want to forget, or maybe pull the memories out with slow deliberation, to remember the families destroyed and loved ones lost. Turning it into a political event is reprehensible. Allowing a parade to roll is truly demented. Whoever approved those permits needs to be made to work the pump stations during the next hurricane, as in with a shovel to keep the debris from clogging the pumps.

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    Yes I got very tired of all the Katrina anniversary stuff. I want to forget, not remember.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Well I just have to say that I REFUSED to watch TV, listen to radio, or expose myself to anything related to Katrina on its 10th anniversary. There is nothing to celebrate in my opinion. My parents lost their house and doctors and moved up here in Ascension by me. All of their rental properties had major damage and my Mom had to deal with my Dad having Parkinsons trying to find new doctors and help for him. I think that storm honestly took the life out of him. I am a grad of Holy Cross and spent lots of time going thru the 9th ward and passing by Fats Domino's house damn near every day while riding a school bus. What happened to that school saddens me to no end because that place did more to make me what I am today than Tulane or LSU. Emp is right though, HC was the shining part of the 9th ward and that place (9th ward) never contributed economically to the area. NO East on the other had was a different story. It will never be what it was but was, a thriving area before the storm-- look at it now and its sad. I recently read a couple of articles with the headlines saying "New Orleans is Booming" or something along those lines. They have no idea how far it is from what it was and is far from doing great. Oh, and lets not forget St. Bernard parish....far from what it was before that damn storm. Driving to Delacroix to go fishing makes me sad seeing what used to be there and seeing dying or dead trees. Sad.
    No, there is nothing for me personally to be happy about. My Dad loved NO and moved here from north Alabama to work at Charity Hospital and West Jefferson where he worked till he retired. That storm I believe killed his spirit. Nothing to celebrate.....

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Now the OP is experiencing what the rest of the Gulf Coast saw during the immediate aftermath of Katrina. According to the national news, Katrina only hit NOLA. Almost no coverage for the MS coast or the Northshore. Almost everything from Port Arthur TX to Abbeville was flooded out a month later during Rita, but the national media was still in NOLA. Think there will be documentaries about Johnson Bayou and Cameron in a few weeks?

I'm still waiting for my free credit card to use at a strip joint or to buy Gucci shoes so I can maintain my self-esteem.

Yep!

However, since I used to spend a lot of time in Pass Christian as a kid I know all of the Mississippi Gulf Coast and back neighborhoods. I remember watching Fox News coverage of the aftermath. Shepherd Smith (he is a Miss. native), was over there reporting from Long Beach. I was stunned when Smith told the anchor desk what he saw.

Basically he said, "I am sad to report the community of Long Beach is gone!" The anchor said something like, "Shep, do you mean there is a lot a damage?" Shep says, "No! I mean it's gone! It's been wiped off the map!"

And you are right, the coverage only seems to follow the plight of blacks in New Orleans. No wonder the convicted criminal Ray Nagin called it a chocolate city; hell by any accounts of the news, you would think the entire region was devoid of families of any other ethnic background.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well I just have to say that I REFUSED to watch TV, listen to radio, or expose myself to anything related to Katrina on its 10th anniversary. There is nothing to celebrate in my opinion. My parents lost their house and doctors and moved up here in Ascension by me. All of their rental properties had major damage and my Mom had to deal with my Dad having Parkinsons trying to find new doctors and help for him. I think that storm honestly took the life out of him. I am a grad of Holy Cross and spent lots of time going thru the 9th ward and passing by Fats Domino's house damn near every day while riding a school bus. What happened to that school saddens me to no end because that place did more to make me what I am today than Tulane or LSU. Emp is right though, HC was the shining part of the 9th ward and that place (9th ward) never contributed economically to the area. NO East on the other had was a different story. It will never be what it was but was, a thriving area before the storm-- look at it now and its sad. I recently read a couple of articles with the headlines saying "New Orleans is Booming" or something along those lines. They have no idea how far it is from what it was and is far from doing great. Oh, and lets not forget St. Bernard parish....far from what it was before that damn storm. Driving to Delacroix to go fishing makes me sad seeing what used to be there and seeing dying or dead trees. Sad.
    No, there is nothing for me personally to be happy about. My Dad loved NO and moved here from north Alabama to work at Charity Hospital and West Jefferson where he worked till he retired. That storm I believe killed his spirit. Nothing to celebrate.....

Precisely the point of my aggravation! There are tens of thousands of sad stories like yours. But, hey; let's never forget the 9th Ward! That was the important part of the story! :doh:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Precisely the point of my aggravation! There are tens of thousands of sad stories like yours. But, hey; let's never forget the 9th Ward! That was the important part of the story! :doh:

I've heard of at least 4 different corporate "10 year Katrina celebrations" and I want to hurl :puke:

Also, I enjoy where I'm at now, but I wanted to slap these local folks...

"Katrina was just awful out here, there were trees down and no one had power." - SUCH A ROUGH LIFE! :ohreally:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    . I also don't like how Obama was on tv saying there's still work to be done Bc of the number of people living in poverty (that's an issue across the whole state of Louisiana along with Mississippi) and also that the average white household makes more money than the average black house hold. Why do they have to bring race into the equation, in neither white nor black and I can't stand the polarizing of our people. How is it fair to the rest of us?

This below by Ben Carson, sums it up for your answer.

I think the key is to tell them the truth. No more of this hiding what’s going on. We need to reach out to people who think that maybe being dependent is reasonable as long as they feel safe. And it isn’t. It really is not compassionate to pat people on the head and say, *There, there, you poor little thing, I’m going to take care of all your needs. Your health care, your food and your housing. Don’t you worry about anything, it’s just all those bad people who are causing you problems. I’m going to fix it.

Top Bottom