Possible Stikcy topic? Gun Control debate??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    active shooter report https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/20...r-incidents-in-the-u.s.-between-2000-and-2013

The problem with the FBI / State list, is the same with all stats, they aren't 100%, and aren't clearly represented as so
    Majority of the data is pulled From Uniform crime reporting Statistics. http://www.bjs.gov/ucrdata/index.cfm. Every agency, is supposed to accurately update its information 12 months a year. It doesn't always happen.
    IE A home shooting, where the individual, is initially arrested for murder, but months-years later ruled a suicide, doesn't always get corrected (and vice versa)

According to FBI list ma large amount of handguns purchased for home defense and kept in the home, accounts for more accidental shootings, than self defense shootings. The list fails to accurately display, the number of situations, where said handgun was used in a no shot fired, self defense situation, and saved a life.

And maybe im just paranoid, but I don't trust those list anyways, its way to easy for someone, to have data fudged, to sway the public...

Gun control is common sense. Some have it, some don't..

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Any US citizen that has a problem with the US Constitution is by definition, an anarchist of the USA. You are only a citizen, protected by the laws and benefits of the USA, because of the US Constitution!

Even if all you recognize is the 1st Amendment (which many a phony liberal douche act is the only one that matters), you do so at the altar of the 2nd!

Your sticky better contain copious amounts of early American Colonial history, because the morons of today NEVER acknowledge the lessons learned yesterday.
    The problem with having a conversation with most about the origins of the second amendment is two-fold: a Most are not educated on or open-minded enough to be so, and you'll instantly be labeled as a nut case if you tried. Ignorance and programming at its finest.

Last edited:

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    I have to confess, I belong to a gun grabbing lobbying organization.

As an unofficial condition of employment I am required to belong the American College of Physicians. While it's not in writing failing to join will affect my employment status and it will impact my career prospects. The director of my residency programs has stated in no uncertain terms that membership is an absolute requirement.

They do some ostensibly useful things, training materials, a medical journal. I personally would only use their exam prep materials; they don't really make anything else that I find useful.

A lot of their time and money is spent, however, on lobbying. Lobbying for physicians, but also actively lobbying on other so called health issues. Sometimes this is things like funding for mammograms or what have you. However, in keeping with many other healthcare professionals they have deliberately miscast the right to keep and bear arms as a "health" issue. They are abusing their position as health professionals to pursue a political agenda that is completely and totally separate from medicine and they are doing so using federal funds. A useful, professional organization is being used as a lobbying platform for fanatic gun grabbers and they are receiving massive, indirect subsidies from the federal government to do so.

This is a group that wrote this this letter going on about "armor piercing bullets", "the gunshow loophole", "deadly assault weapons" and the usual lines. I don't want to give money to a group who has an entire position statement that is the wishlist of every anti gun group out there. My employer just gave then tens of thousands of dollars, which they were given as a federal grant to train newly graduated physicians, to purchase training materials and practice exams from them. This, in addition to the membership fees that I am *required* to pay as an undisclosed condition of employment is used to fund anti-gun lobbying efforts.

What's even more disturbing is that federal funds are routinely given to this group from hospitals and training programs across the country. Every internal medicine residency program, every where in the country, requires its trainees to join or will use federal funds and purchase a membership on their behalf. They all routinely purchase very high-profit practice exams and training products from this group. Every single dollar that these medicine residencies give to the ACP for memberships and materials came from the federal government.

If your doctor is a member of ACP, I would ask them about it. Find out if they're aware that they belong to a group working very hard to erode the protections provided by the 2nd amendment. Does the American College of Physicians speak for them? Are they OK with the group's anti-constitutional stance, its abuse of medical authority to pursue political agenda? Its abuse of federal dollars to directly fund lobbying efforts against the second amendment? If so, then you may want to find another doctor.

The only way the group can be corrected is if it gets cut off from it's federal subsidies or if members force change either from within or through desertion of the organization and resignation of their memberships. I don't have a choice, yet, but I plan on dumping them as soon as I can. For the time being I match the money my employer forces me to pay split evenly between the NRA/ Second Amedment Foundation/Gun Owners of America.

Last edited:

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    In light of recent events figured it'd be worthwhile to bump the thread.

Obama issued a challenge today - write your senators, your representatives. Make it unambiguously clear to them which side of the gun control issue you stand on.

I have, what about you? Don't let the President's challenge go unanswered!

Also feel free to toss a few bucks to the organization of your choice - The Second Amendment Foundation, the NRA ILA or whoever.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    One of my anti-gun acquaintances sent me this link...

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/4-pro-gun-arguments-were-sick-of-hearing-20151001

I hate to say it, but the only thing that will satisfy that (growing) segment of population is a firearms ban and confiscation.

Yeah, cause am entertainment magazine is the best place to get your politics. Part of the damn problem. Nay, most of the problem.

There 10x that many that pro gun people are sick of hearing.

mikacct

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2015
    Ponchatoula Louisiana
    Stand up and fight

In light of recent events figured it'd be worthwhile to bump the thread.

Obama issued a challenge today - write your senators, your representatives. Make it unambiguously clear to them which side of the gun control issue you stand on.

I have, what about you? Don't let the President's challenge go unanswered!

Also feel free to toss a few bucks to the organization of your choice - The Second Amendment Foundation, the NRA ILA or whoever.

REGISTER TO VOTE!! Then write those letters to your senators and representatives. If you are not registered they will ignore you. Go see you local politicians and let them know too. Be sure to have your voter registration with you. You don't exist to them if you can't vote.

Join me and others by becoming ACTIVE. Other good parties out there besides republicans and democrats; libertarians, green party, constitution party, etc.
    http://www.lp.org/
    https://www.greenparty.org/
    http://www.constitutionparty.com/

For gun lovers the NRA is a no brainer. Join today. A 5 year membership is $100 which comes with some goodies like a duffle bag, insurance, cool NRA cap, free gun/sportsman magazine subscription. https://membership.nrahq.org/5245/d...m_content=knife&utm_campaign=yahoo_ppc_mobile

The Louisiana Shooting Association is another good one for $10: http://www.louisianashooting.com/

Speak up and be heard. We should have free speech along with right to bear arms. Voice your opinion.

Make this thread a sticky and lets drum up some support for our bill of rights while we still have them.

I would rather die standing than live on my knees.

Defend your rights!!

Edit: try this out: http://www.congressmerge.com/onlinedb/

Last edited:

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I had left this thread and I apologize. I have far too little good info that I would include in the original post of a new thread to have made a sticky. Shoot me PMs of sites and sources that support the original idea and I will compile it together. There was more back and fourth on this pilot thread than I had PMs regarding sources of information.

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    My elected representatives respond very well to polite letters and emails. Is there ever a Pro gun lobby day in BR to talk to state reps. face to face?

You can register to vote online here. You don't even have to leave your house or get off the couch.
    http://www.sos.la.gov/ElectionsAndVoting/Pages/OnlineVoterRegistration.aspx

If you shop on Amazon, another way to fundraise to the Second Amendment Foundation is to put them as your Amazon smile recipient. You can do that here.
    http://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/about/ref=smi_aas_redirect?ie=UTF8&qid=1443932645&ref=spkl_3_0_2075352782 The SAF does a ton of legal heavy lifting for us and deserves much support.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    The Constitution may not be perfect, but I still defer to it when it comes to the law. So for me the answer is easy.

mikacct

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2015
    Ponchatoula Louisiana
    Encouraging

Good to see people are looking at this thread.

I contacted my reps below via e-mail yesterday after a day of shooting at Honey Island near Pearl River. We really like that place. We had to wait for the pistol range, but we did not mind. It was great to see so many people out shooting; couples, families, collectors, all kinds of law abiding folks.

My wife if going to verify that she is registered to vote and give our reps a call too.

I may not agree with these guys on everything, but they have a good record when it comes to the right to bear arms.

Senator David Vitter (R- LA)
    Senator Bill Cassidy (R- LA)
    Representative Steve Scalise (R-01)

http://www.congressmerge.com/onlinedb/

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Also, just to point it out on a national level... the next POTUS will most likely appoint 3 to the SCOTUS. I think we need to pull out an "Obama" type voter showing to have a chance... the young are all over Sander ****. The balance in the SCOTUS can be the end game.

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    There are two policy papers being floated around the medical community with regards to new gun legislation. They focus mostly on changing reporting standards for mental health - maintaining current restrictions for involuntary commitment, restricting ownership for anyone with a court order mandating outpatient treatment if there is finding of increased risk of violence and restoring ownership rights only after being cleared by a psychiatrist. The other big proposal is temporary revocation of gun rights for violent misdemeanor convictions, anyone with a domestic violence restraining order, 2 or more DUI/DWIs in 5 years, two or more misdemeanor convictions for controlled substances in 5 years.

For states the recommendations are the same. with the addition of recommending mechanisms for mandatory confiscation including mechanisms to provide warrants for search and confiscation for anyone identified as posing a risk to themselves or others, creation of a civil restraining order system to allow private citizens to have guns confiscated from family members or domestic partners with credible evidence and mandatory hearings where those whose property is confiscated may attend, with mechanisms for returning confiscated firearms after temporary prohibitions are ended.

The full text of the State guidelines are here as is the complete text of the federal guidelines for those who want to read them.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I'm waiting to hear em say anyone who has EVER been on ADD medicine.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    http://theprogressivecynic.com/debunking-right-wing-talking-points/refuting-gun-enthusiasts-anti-gun-control-arguments/

As painful as this may be to read, please attempt to read the common argument/rebuttal of gun control advocates such as this writer who obviously believes he is far more intelligent than anyone who is stupid enough to be "pro-gun". Knowing their mindset and arguments can only enhance our understanding of the gun control debate. It is lengthy but he brings up points that I'm sure leftist bring up in their attempt to pass gun control.

Top Bottom