New Army Handgun Solicitation.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    After many months of waiting, finally the US Army has released the formal solicitation for the XM17 MHS handgun competition. Guns.com reports:

Due to revisions and delays, the U.S. Army’s solicitation for a handgun to replace the M9 has been put off for almost a year, but that ended when the Army officially announced it on Aug. 28.

The solicitation allows companies to compete for a $580 million contract and bragging rights for being the Army’s official sidearm, something Beretta has had for more than 25 years. However, the testing is thorough and navigating federal bureaucracy can be exhausting.

The 351-page solicitation details key features required of competing handguns, performance standards, necessary accessories and kits, and a range of quantities for the items in full and components.

To compete in the Modular Handgun System, and the XM17 designation, the pistol needs modifiable grips, varied magazine options, ambidextrous controls, and rails for accessories. Since many features the Army wants come standard with polymer-framed handgun available today, performance of both the firearm and its chambering will make the difference.

The Army said the handgun should be able to hit a 4-inch target at a 50-meter range at least 90 percent of the time throughout the gun’s lifespan. While there’s not specific caliber preference, the round should be able to penetrate 14-inches into ballistics gel at 50 meters.

But the likely challenge for competitors is navigating the intricacies of the military’s program and costs — reasons why Mike Fifer, chief executive officer of Sturm, Ruger & Company, told investors in July during a conference call why Ruger is not participating.

“There’s enormous cause to participate and an extremely low likelihood for any one company of winning it,” he said.

“If you win it, obviously you’re in the capital receipt for the next 25 years, but I have a feeling competing for it’s going to be a little bit like being hit against a brick wall, and you’ll feel real good when you stop,” he said.

“The risk factor of putting the huge investment of time, people and money into competing for something that there’s really very low likelihood of winning even if you have a much better product,” he said. “And so those are kind of the pros and cons right there.”

Aside from Smith & Wesson teaming with General Dynamics, and Beretta putting forth effort to retain the contract, a number of companies are expected to be participating. More than 20 companies participated in an industry day at Picatinny Arsenal in New Jersey at the beginning of July to showcase possible entries.

The deadline for companies to submit a test package is Jan. 28.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    With the DoD budgets what they are I'm sure almost any offering from HK will 've ruled out. Hi-Point might just have a chance

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    With the DoD budgets what they are I'm sure almost any offering from HK will 've ruled out. Hi-Point might just have a chance

How silly of me to suggest that the best handgun that fits the criteria will get the nod!
    You are right! The cheapest handgun submitted will win and they will call it the best one submitted!

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    How silly of me to suggest that the best handgun that fits the criteria will get the nod!
    You are right! The cheapest handgun submitted will win and they will call it the best one submitted!

Yep. From what I understand, the Sig P226 won the last competition but the Beretta 92 was selected due to their lower package price.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So HK will fit it with a safety?

That would be interesting to see.

I'm afraid the M9 was used for so long, that it will be the baseline to compare new entries to. Which is silly, considering they go with the lowest bidder, and we all know that isn't usually the best choice.

RussnAttitude

always learning
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    UN
    Hi-Point .45 ftw! Simply cause of best price. Lol. Just like metryshooter said.... Seriously though, S&W SD40VE... Really cheap..and a decent gun is my guess

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I have shot a lot of handguns over the years and I don't think I have ever shot one that would hit a 4" target @ 50 meters 9 out of 10 times. How about u?

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I have shot a lot of handguns over the years and I don't think I have ever shot one that would hit a 4" target @ 50 meters 9 out of 10 times. How about u?

If you do it, you're either a damn good shot or lucky as hell

I can hit 10-12" target at 20 yards all day but 4" at 50m 9 out of 10, thats some fine shooting from a sidearm.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    The 14" in ballistic jell @ 50 meters does not seem too far fetched but the accuracy reqs. seem out of reach. Baretta had the contract before. Can they meet the new regulations or did they?

Top Bottom