Cox Communications

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    It's ashame we've allowed ourselves to become addicts, to electronic communication, cause they have us by that balls now. Typical cable rant, I only watch 2-3 channels.
    Those boxes aren't nessacary for quality images, it's to prevent people from sharing cable, within their homes.
    Each of those boxes has and address. They monitor the content playing played on each television, and they sell this data to networks.
    We lock our doors, and close our windows, in the name of privacy, we pay the cable / cellphone companies to evade it.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Been without cable for almost two years now. $100 for an Apple TV + $24/month for Netflix and HBO Now (gotta have my GOT) = win. Don't miss cable, wife doesn't miss cable, kids don't miss cable. It's amazing how much less TV you watch when you only watch things you actively seek out. No mindless flipping through the channels just because.

notasheeple

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    No cable in about a decade.

Android TV box running KODI/XBMC on Isengard or Gotham update
    Chromecast with the MoMoCast app on iOS devices
    Firestick rooted to run KODI
    A good TV HD Antenna!

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    F**k anything Google! Data collecting parasites! I only use them in a last ditch case by case basis. And those of you that couldn't wait for the "Free" Windows 10 upgrade better look into their shameless personal data collecting and sharing through that "free" software. Go look up how to disable it, and then think to yourself, "why would they make this so complicated for me to secure my privacy?" Then think about why it is "free!"

Now, as for cable costs. It's all a racket! I was over $250 a month with Eatel, and have trimmed it to under $150 by getting rid of HBO (which plays nothing but re-run movies from the 80's & 90's), and cutting off my land line phone (obsolete since I got rid of security monitoring service; another joke). So now, HBO (8 different variations), is still on 4 months later; and when my alarm goes off, I get up with gun and go check. Just like before. The only difference is now the monitoring service doesn't call me and ask me if I am ok. I am convinced that a Class Action lawsuit could force them to let you pick channels you want a la carte style. These bundles are a rip-off!

Nothing is secure anymore. Wireless is the future but it is the end as well. When you can no longer hard wire devices, you will lose all control over your incoming (and some outgoing), data. These data companies will save money not having to hard wire houses, but they will use the money to set up wireless monitoring devices in your neighborhoods.

They can collect all my data. Their products are excellent. And free. And not bloated with ads (even though they're there). Everybody collects my data anyway. I don't know what they're going to do with it, besides target me with ads and send me junk mail, which I've been getting since I was 10 years old anyway.

Your monitoring service is there to check when you're not home ;) And it typically gets you a discount on your homeowners policy. I went with cellular service instead of a phone line though.

You need to vote with your wallet and ditch the cable company.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    They can collect all my data. Their products are excellent. And free. And not bloated with ads (even though they're there). Everybody collects my data anyway. I don't know what they're going to do with it, besides target me with ads and send me junk mail, which I've been getting since I was 10 years old anyway.

Your monitoring service is there to check when you're not home ;) And it typically gets you a discount on your homeowners policy. I went with cellular service instead of a phone line though.

You need to vote with your wallet and ditch the cable company.

Apparently some will be voting the way your highly regarded Google services tells them to! :mamoru:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/08/how-google-could-rig-the-2016-election-121548

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Yep!! I want to say similar articles have been written like that one too.

It's definitely scary, especially knowing that a sizable portion of the Google staff probably toes the progressive line.

But hell, if we could replace our current government with Google, I think I'd be tempted. :)

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The remote for the new mini-box does not get along with my tv... :(

OTOH, netflix always has something new on. Almost at random I tried 'Journey to the West'. Bizare but entertaining. Chinese mythology, terrible acting, subtitles, bad cgi, etc. but different enough for a few good laughs. Give it a try.

Top Bottom