Cox Communications

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I see Cox is upgrading (IOW, more $$$) service again. Soon all subscribers will have to rent boxes for each TV -- no more basic cable to as many sets in your home as you want. Instead of ~100 channels -- of which I only watch 5-6, -- I'll have access to ~300 -- of which I only watch 5-6...

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got Direct TV and one box and one TV. I watch about 4 channels out of probably 200 channels. The rest of it is crap.
    If it wasn't for college football I would throw the TV and the box in the lake.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    They're promising free boxes for a year. After that I'll go internet like I've been threatening to. With the money I'll save I can go watch saints games at Laagers every week.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    The boxes are great. They are $3 a month and you get a lot of new options and the picture quality is great.

Where can you get more info on the little boxes and when will they be available?

Take no further action. I found out and ordered one.

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    If you have basic cable, you will not need a box (as long as you keep basic cable). They will sell you an adapter that will go on your television that will allow you to connect the cable digitally to your television. They will however not support any non-digital connections. I believe the adapters are a one-time fee of $30 each (unless they are only offering this to businesses).

It is a means for them to stop anyone and everyone who receives cable TV for free. It can now all be controlled centrally instead of at the pole or house connection level.

In a sense, what it will be is nothing but digital internet service that they will stream television to your home through. In the near future, I would suspect they will change their billing plans as well to a "usage" based plan (like cell phones). If you login online, you can see your current "usage" that they've already begun tracking. When you login, click on "Data Usage". It will then show you your "plan" and a gauge that displays how much you've used.

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    If you have basic cable, you will not need a box (as long as you keep basic cable). They will sell you an adapter that will go on your television that will allow you to connect the cable digitally to your television. They will however not support any non-digital connections. I believe the adapters are a one-time fee of $30 each (unless they are only offering this to businesses).

It is a means for them to stop anyone and everyone who receives cable TV for free. It can now all be controlled centrally instead of at the pole or house connection level.

In a sense, what it will be is nothing but digital internet service that they will stream television to your home through. In the near future, I would suspect they will change their billing plans as well to a "usage" based plan (like cell phones). If you login online, you can see your current "usage" that they've already begun tracking. When you login, click on "Data Usage". It will then show you your "plan" and a gauge that displays how much you've used.
    Yesterday I turned on my playstation for the first time in a few months. Almost 20 gigs of updates downloaded. Took all day. And I thought about Internet providers and how they want to go to a usage plan. Gamers and video lov ers are going to be screwed when that happens.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    You cable tv guys are nuts. Seems live everybody is paying $150-$200 mo for their "bundle."

If I miss a game, oh well. I can go to a friend's house, go to a bar, or actually go to the game.

I'd love to ditch Cox. Currently paying them $36/mo for their second slowest internet-only plan, and it's an incentive price normally like $50. AT&T is about the same price, and for less bandwidth. I've heard about satellite internet but I've never been inclined to try it out.

Unfortunately Google fiber is probably a decade off or worse.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The only service I have is internet. Everything else is available via streaming, if you know where to look for it.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Everyone I know still with cable says the same thing "if it wasn't for football.." or "if it wasn't for the kids..."

Yep!

Netflix has tons of stuff for kids.

Most games come in over the air in high def, and with all the cable savings you could afford to buy season tickets and actually go to games.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You cable tv guys are nuts. Seems live everybody is paying $150-$200 mo for their "bundle."

If I miss a game, oh well. I can go to a friend's house, go to a bar, or actually go to the game.

I'd love to ditch Cox. Currently paying them $36/mo for their second slowest internet-only plan, and it's an incentive price normally like $50. AT&T is about the same price, and for less bandwidth. I've heard about satellite internet but I've never been inclined to try it out.

Unfortunately Google fiber is probably a decade off or worse.

F**k anything Google! Data collecting parasites! I only use them in a last ditch case by case basis. And those of you that couldn't wait for the "Free" Windows 10 upgrade better look into their shameless personal data collecting and sharing through that "free" software. Go look up how to disable it, and then think to yourself, "why would they make this so complicated for me to secure my privacy?" Then think about why it is "free!"

Now, as for cable costs. It's all a racket! I was over $250 a month with Eatel, and have trimmed it to under $150 by getting rid of HBO (which plays nothing but re-run movies from the 80's & 90's), and cutting off my land line phone (obsolete since I got rid of security monitoring service; another joke). So now, HBO (8 different variations), is still on 4 months later; and when my alarm goes off, I get up with gun and go check. Just like before. The only difference is now the monitoring service doesn't call me and ask me if I am ok. I am convinced that a Class Action lawsuit could force them to let you pick channels you want a la carte style. These bundles are a rip-off!

Nothing is secure anymore. Wireless is the future but it is the end as well. When you can no longer hard wire devices, you will lose all control over your incoming (and some outgoing), data. These data companies will save money not having to hard wire houses, but they will use the money to set up wireless monitoring devices in your neighborhoods.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Since Nancy retired and I use the tv to baby sit her, I have the highspeed cable and hbo packages.. roughly 250 a month.. she has been gone this week in tx and I was thinking last night while watching the CIVIL WAR series on PBS that this was the only thing I have watched in 7 days.. what a waste for those of us who go outside.. not so much for those who want quiet time when we get home and she can watch it ..

Anybody want to rent a PHD teacher who cant see well, or hear well? lol

BTW, that civil war series in pretty good for me.. anyone else have opinions..

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    I have charter and they went all digital a while back. Forced me to get 2 more boxes in the house.

On a side note I recently purchased an HD digital Antenna off of amazon that was about 50 bucks. Stuck it on 20' of pole (10 foot top fence rail) at the camp in Kentwood and I was surprised at the amount of channels it received. Has a remote that you can change the direction from inside and all. Im thinking of getting one for the house and doing away with everything but internet. Hell we have amazon prime,hulu,and Netflix anyways. Im tired of paying 250 bucks a month for tv. I can use the extra money.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I'm on a Cox Comms internet service right now... they don't provide enough bandwidth for me to explain all the issues I have with this company.
    Counting the days until I can get back to Uverse.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom