Feed issues when suppressed.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I've been having some feed issues. 10.5" suppressed AR. I only run it suppressed. I'm having feed issues with the bullet being pushed into the casing and not feeding. Would a heavier buffer help maybe?

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Not thinking its a mag issue. I've tried ALOT. I'm running whatever buffer a DPMS sportacle comes with. I'll get some pics next weekend. It seems like it's feeding too fast and pushing the bullet into the casing occasionally....? I'm very much a noob to the technical aspect of shooting.

Last edited:

Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    On my suppressed LR-308, I was over gassed. I recommend an adjustable gas block. It gives you the ability to tune your gun. You can feel the difference with each click or two. I got the SLR rifle works but there are others. Get one with discernible 'clicks' or even more simple- one brand has settings for on, off, and suppressed. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    What kinda barrel, maybe the gas port is too big? Try a h2 buffer, don't have issues with my sbr's but they all sport an h2 buffer. I have 4 10.5 inch 5.56's and all run suppressed and Unsuppressed.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Thanks. The feed ramps seem ok. Ill try the H2 buffer then change to an adjustable gas block if that doesn't work. I've been looking at the JP captured buffer, I may try and talk myself into spending the $$$ for it with the different spring kit and see how that works...?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    DPMS rifles are typically "overgassed" (gas port spec'd to run with a wider variety of ammo). If it's gassed so much that it's causing feed issues, I'd recommend going with the adjustable gas block first. The buffer alone would be a bandaid fix at best, and chances are you'll need both the gasblock and buffer to get it running ideal anyway. An SLR Sentry gas block and H2 buffer should calm her down nicely.

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    On my suppressed LR-308, I was over gassed. I recommend an adjustable gas block. It gives you the ability to tune your gun. You can feel the difference with each click or two. I got the SLR rifle works but there are others. Get one with discernible 'clicks' or even more simple- one brand has settings for on, off, and suppressed. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 Fixed the same problem for me.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'd look into getting either the SLR rifleworks adjustable gas block or the Syrac Gen II. Have used both and it really smooths everything out and makes for a more enjoyable rifle.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    In an unsuppressed firearm, the moment the bullet leaves the barrel, the hot gases behind it are vented into the air.
    Suppressed these gases are being, held and cooled in the suppressor. The holding of the gases is increasing he amount of force against your bolt. Sometimes more than the stock setup can overcome.
    Sounds like your over grassed, and bolt velocity is to high.

I recommend anyone that enjoys suppressors, or want to learn how they work, to visit silencertalk dot com.
    A lot of information on that website..

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    Does the rifle have a forward assist? I would just get a AR gas vent. Not only will it bleed off excess gas, but will also keep the junk out of your face when shooting suppressed. Should be about $40.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Does the rifle have a forward assist? I would just get a AR gas vent. Not only will it bleed off excess gas, but will also keep the junk out of your face when shooting suppressed. Should be about $40.

I never heard of that gas vent. I may have to try one with the RTV "fix" also. My kids hate shooting suppressed because of the gas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom