Any Cobra fans here - All Cars welcome

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    My new (to me) car - 1996 Cobra, 59k miles, black on black. Only mods are O/R H-pipe with Flowmaster catback (It's Loud) and short throw shifter. She pulls hard for being 19 yrs old and almost stock.

20150724_190934_zpsvunw0bjb.jpg

75b5548c-50d2-4755-9eff-64f39b9582bf_zpsazoieg9n.jpg

20150731_173013_zpsojsgncuc.jpg

She desperately needs new wheels, and I just took delivery of them (black Saleen style).

20150909_170622_resized_zps8za7oabb.jpg

Anyways, I'm excited. Been 10 yrs since I owned a mustang and so far I'm loving it this car. Plans are to change out the tires/rims, tint the windows, add a spoiler, and enjoy her for what she is.

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Nice example of one of the first 300 hp + mustangs. The cobra in the grill is aftermarket. They came with ponies.

I say leave the spoiler off. Love the slick deck look.

Enjoy it!

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Nice example of one of the first 300 hp + mustangs. The cobra in the grill is aftermarket. They came with ponies.

I say leave the spoiler off. Love the slick deck look.

Enjoy it!

I like the spoiler delete as well, but the wife likes a spoiler....so spoiler it is! lol

I also prefer the cobra grill emblem :)

Nice car, nice mileage!

Thanks!

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    I go back and forth on whether or not I want to start doing bolt-on mods or just leave it stock.

Most I would do is cai, 4.10s, and a tune, which might put the car in the low 13's to high 12's (depending on the driver)....so far I've settled on "leaving it along". I don't race it at the track so why bother.

It's loud and fun, which is what I wanted :bravo:

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    I need to give a public shout out and Thank You to - SVTFreak. Thanks for answering my questions and pardoning all of my ignorance :)

fng

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    Accufab 70mm TB + Accufab Plenum+4:10 gears + dyno tune is a must for that car....will make a BIG difference in fun factor/driveability:D

Last edited:

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Accufab 70mm TB + Accufab Plenum+4:10 gears + dyno tune is a must for that car....will make a BIG difference in fun factor/driveability:D

I've read upgrading the TB is a waste and actually causes more issues unless you are going to add a blower or turbo....This could be a spot where my ignorance shows, but I do not think there is a Plenum for this Model.

96_cobra_eng_tight_8001.jpg

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I need to give a public shout out and Thank You to - SVTFreak. Thanks for answering my questions and pardoning all of my ignorance :)

Anytime man. Hot rodding is all about helping.

I've read upgrading the TB is a waste and actually causes more issues unless you are going to add a blower or turbo....This could be a spot where my ignorance shows, but I do not think there is a Plenum for this Model.

That, I can't help much with. The 4.6 4 cammer isn't my strong point of mustang (or hot roddingknowledge in general) knowledge

fng

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish

upgrading the TB without tuning afterward is 100% not a good idea and will actually hurt performance in some cases, you are right. The tune is where you get the gains from a TB upgrade, these cars respond VERY well to tuning. I bought a used, bone stock 99 cobra in 04 and a good buddy of mine who was a mustang guy told me the 410,s, and tune were a must. I joined a couple of mustang forums, stangnet.com and another that I cant remember the name of to do some research and ask questions. The info I got was confirmed 10x over so I ordered the gears online and had a local shop put them on. When I picked it up I was just wow. More research was done and as my funds allowed I got the TB and exhaust, H-pipe w/ hi-flo cats and Borla catback. Wow again. As the weeks went by I finally decided to spend the money !and do the dynotune. Super wow! I would never in a million years believed a tune would make that much of a difference (as all the posters on the forums stated), even after bolt ons, but later learned that it is the tune that maximizes the effects of the bolt ons. It was a totally different car after the tune.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    I love the cobra, nice car you got there.

Thanks!!!

upgrading the TB without tuning afterward is 100% not a good idea and will actually hurt performance in some cases, you are right. The tune is where you get the gains from a TB upgrade, these cars respond VERY well to tuning. I bought a used, bone stock 99 cobra in 04 and a good buddy of mine who was a mustang guy told me the 410,s, and tune were a must. I joined a couple of mustang forums, stangnet.com and another that I cant remember the name of to do some research and ask questions. The info I got was confirmed 10x over so I ordered the gears online and had a local shop put them on. When I picked it up I was just wow. More research was done and as my funds allowed I got the TB and exhaust, H-pipe w/ hi-flo cats and Borla catback. Wow again. As the weeks went by I finally decided to spend the money !and do the dynotune. Super wow! I would never in a million years believed a tune would make that much of a difference (as all the posters on the forums stated), even after bolt ons, but later learned that it is the tune that maximizes the effects of the bolt ons. It was a totally different car after the tune.

yeah everything I read says the sn95's love 4.10 - 4.56 gears and a tune. I've also read deleting the IRMCs wake it up too.

No major plans like that for now tho...but I'm sure I'll start getting the modding itch soon :)

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I'm partial to the original Cobra. Not mustang. Art Colley had a nice one.

Completely different car for a completely different purpose.

Sometimes, either you're a car guy or you're not. You have to enjoy both for their uses.

I have a replica of that also. It's apart for paint right now.

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Fan of the Cobra - YES,
    I didn't have a Cobra but I am apart of the SVT Family. I had a 2000 LIGHTNING, Even though I don't have the L any more, It's being well taken care of a Multiable Lightning owning family in North Carolina that are well known in the Lightning community.

Check out SVTperformance.com it's one of top Cobra Sites on the net. There are a lot of A$$H0les over there, but the amount of info available over there really makes up for the ASSH0les

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Fan of the Cobra - YES,
    I didn't have a Cobra but I am apart of the SVT Family. I had a 2000 LIGHTNING, Even though I don't have the L any more, It's being well taken care of a Multiable Lightning owning family in North Carolina that are well known in the Lightning community.

Check out SVTperformance.com it's one of top Cobra Sites on the net. There are a lot of A$$H0les over there, but the amount of info available over there really makes up for the ASSH0les

I've been on SVTPerformance since about '08...that place is hilarious....plus they have lots of great technical advice

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I always wanted a shelby cobra.... What kit did you build? I was looking at a factory five a while back, but after realizing my limited mechanical skills, I was thinking maybe just saving up and buying a car that's already built.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Any Cobra fans here

SVTP is head and shoulders above any other mustang site for late models put there as far as morons per knowledge ratio. You wanna see an assclown competition, go check out mustang6g.com. Only reason I go is cause we have a pretty on depth information base on the 2015 LE model. I keep saying I'm gonna compile and move to a dedicated site but I have zero site building knowledge lol

I always wanted a shelby cobra.... What kit did you build? I was looking at a factory five a while back, but after realizing my limited mechanical skills, I was thinking maybe just saving up and buying a car that's already built.

Yep it's an FFR mark 4. I built a mark 2 in 2002 after tons of research, the FFR is the best one out there if you intend to drive the snot out of it. The mark 4 makes some very very good improvement especially in foot room and safety. It's not the most correct by far, and not the most comfy (there are stretched ones) but it's by far the safest and best handling. Especially if you do some of the suspension upgrades.

If you buy the complete kit, about the hardest thing you have to do is bend brake and fuel lines. If you can do a in depth brake job and bleed a coolant system, swap a tranny, use a tape measure and a drill and use a rivet gun, you can build a FFR. They have a very good manual and almost all of it is bolt together (or rivet panels). The body work is the worst part (for me anyway). Basic knowledge of automotive systems and how they work definitely helps but people with almost no knowledge has built them. There's also a couple very good forums with very very helpful people. Guarantee you could find someone to give tips. Hell, I would swing by and give pointers if you got stuck.

The offer is always open if anyone wants to see it mid build. The body will be off for a couple months (probably mid December is a rough guess while I finish body work, get it painted and polished, work a turnaround, go on vacation and get some chassis work finished up) so it's a great time to see how it goes together if it would help decide.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom