Torn between Suppressors: Opinions wanted!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LandrysGuns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Addis, LA
    I can't say I am a fan of the Omega. Sure, small and light and lots of bells and whistles, but when I shoot suppressed, or recommend one to a customer, I want quiet. I have heard better things from more inexpensive suppressors than the Omega. Saker is a tank and will take a beating if you are stuck on the Silencerco line. They are great cans and a great company, but so are a lot of others.

2 favorites come to mind.
    Liberty Freedom is one of the quietest out there. Longer than some and a bit heavier, but quiet.
    Thunder Beast Arms 30 series, the 30 P1 and the 30 CB9, while discontinued, still super quiet and light at 16.5oz.

I have also seen cans that were quieter at the 308 caliber and then louder than others with a 300 blackout. Some perform better with certain calibers. I think this is where my dislike of the Omega came from. When fired off a 300 Blackout SBR, I was not impressed.

Dale Landry
    Landry's Guns

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I haven't even got my hands on my Omega yet and y'all have me regretting my choice. I have to stop reading things on the Internet.

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I have the Omega. I bought it because of the versatility, weight, and also seemed pretty quiet compared to most. There are some that are quieter, I guess it depends on what you want to do with it...ie dedicated to one caliber rifle, full auto on an sbr, weight, or just want the quietest can period. I chose the omega because it seemed a good all around can for anything "I" would do....Its light, adaptable, pretty short, magnum and full auto rated, good sound reduction in tests I've seen. I have only used it on my 308 w/ supersonic ammo, but liked it so much, I doubt I'll ever shoot the rifle w/o the can. (just my very limited experience).

US Infidel...I wouldn't sweat it until you give it a go.

Last edited:

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yeah it's a good can you'll be happy with it. It all comes down to what your priorities are. If you want the quietest silencer than you need to get one of the 9 inch ones that are longer and generally speaking heavier. I do a lot of hunting and I want the shortest lightest silencer that still has acceptable sound suppression. I've also found that when it comes to supersonic rounds most of what you hear anyway is the crack of the bullet going down range. Yeah a liberty freedom or specwar 7.62 is going to be quieter than a saker, omega or pretty much any other 7 inch can but it isn't a crazy difference between them. I'd give up a few decibels for a few inches and ounces.

Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    Just curious, Landry. Have you tried the 30p-1 on the 300 blk sbr?

I'll be doing that soon.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    I know you posted this to Dale but I've played with a 30-p1 on an sbr 300blk and it sounds good. Subs and supers. It's a good can.

LandrysGuns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Addis, LA
    I have not personally shot one in that config, but I have a customer that has and I was pretty impressed when I heard it. Thunder Beast has some drawbacks. They do not recommend it on a SBR with supersonic rounds, even running a 223 with an adapter. I'm sure it has something to do with the blast baffle being titanium and the tube being a certain thickness. It is a damn good can on 308 16" + guns and 300 blackout. By comparison I have seen other cans rated for SBR in full auto mode made of titanium baffles and tube with a stronger iconel blast baffle. One would expect a 308 to hold up to at least semi on a 10" 223. But designs vary... What I'm saying is sometimes you get what a suppressor is designed for and sometimes you give up weight and length to gain something more. To each his own as we all have different shooting situations and I won't fault anyone for their choice of suppressor. If someone asks my opinion, well...

Last edited:

Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    Dale, I Just tore through the TBAC forum looking for mention of problems with the 30p-1 on SBR w 300 blk supers. Couldn't find anything. Just the normal warnings about not getting the can to hot. I can only assume you meant 5.56 sbr's? There were some warnings about this... Is that your understanding? Just want to be sure.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    I just pulled the trigger on a Rugged Suppressors Surge 762. Converts from 7.5" to 9" and is rated all the way up to .300RUM. Also ordered the 5.56 endcap to go with it. Looks like a really sweet, versatile can.

Top Bottom