Torn between Suppressors: Opinions wanted!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    Getting my first rifle suppressor soon. Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards either the Silencerco Omega or the Silencerco Specwar. I was told the Omega is lighter & shorter but the specwar is quieter. Who out there has done what and why? Thanks in advance.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I was in the same situation. I decided in a saker. When I get the moolah itll be a done deal. What barrel lengths do you plan on applying it to?

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    My dealer didn't like the saker at all. Something about attachments or something like that. He advised me towards the Omega bc it's lighter but said in his experience the specwar is quieter. I will research the saker though. I'm still learning a lot. I'm most likely putting it on 16 to 20 inch barrels, most likely a Steyr AUG.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    ive experienced a lot of issues with the mounting system on the Saker as well. Si co will send you more mounts but it's a pain to have to call them.

If I were to spend my money with si co it would be on an omega.

IMHO the specwar is really the way to go if you are looking for their most rugged can. Omega is the way to go if you are wanting to shed weight.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    Hold a Specwar and an Omega in each hand and the choice will become clear. Omega is the latest/greatest with weight and mounting options.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just to throw a wrinkle in. I would give the Rugged Suppressors surge 762 a look. Specwar will be the quietest of the ones you are looking at but it's also the heaviest and longest. Depending on your hosts I would go omega or Saker.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have both the Saker and Omega, I've had the Saker seize up after maybe sixty rounds and Could not get it off the gun!! But I love how it looks under the hand gaurs when if functions properly.
    I love the Omega because of weight and size

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just a tip for anyone that has a saker that seizes up. Hit it with your hand on the top bottom and two sides of the can and it should spin right off. Helps to break some of the carbon that is locking it on.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    ive experienced a lot of issues with the mounting system on the Saker as well. Si co will send you more mounts but it's a pain to have to call them.

If I were to spend my money with si co it would be on an omega.

IMHO the specwar is really the way to go if you are looking for their most rugged can. Omega is the way to go if you are wanting to shed weight.
    Why do you say that? Most people seem to think the Saker is their most rugged can.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Just a tip for anyone that has a saker that seizes up. Hit it with your hand on the top bottom and two sides of the can and it should spin right off. Helps to break some of the carbon that is locking it on.

Mine would not turn to unlock it, I had a pair if channel locks with thick rubber pads and all I did was break the rocket bond for the comp

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Why do you say that? Most people seem to think the Saker is their most rugged can.

The modularity (if that is even the word) is its weakest point. Not to mention they have had chronic issues with the mounting system.

Did a shoot a year or so ago when they came to do a LE demo and they were saying the same thing. If you want a bomb proof/grunt proof can, stick wit the SPECWAR.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    I have both the Specwar and the Omega. what you have heard is accurate. The Specwar is a TANK. Full auto till it glows? no problem. Continue to function just as good after end cap strike? Yep! Awesome Customer service? Yep!

All in all, I own 6 Silencerco Cans. I own no more than 1 from any other company.

If you want modular, buy an Omega. It is super configurable. when comparing an Omega to a Specwar 7.62...The omega is a tad louder. The omega is 3 inches shorter in it's shortest configuration(flat end cap and direct thread). The omega is Much Lighter.

The omega is lighter and more quiet when compared to the Saker. The Omega and Specwar use the same muzzle devices.

SpencerSS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Brusly, La
    The dead airs are nice. A little heavier than SilencerCos in general, but performance is great. My old Liberty Black Raven 2 is 27oz, so anything new would be an upgrade in weight.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    So how about dead air vs silencerco?

Based on the product, I think the argument can be made that Mike took what worked/didn't work from his design days at si co and came up with a killer product.

I really like the double redundancy on the attachment system. Weight isn't a big factor to me but some may be turned off by it.

The mask is a sweet little 22 can. If the baffle design works like it's supposed to, you can go waaaayyy longer in between cleanings as opposed to the competition.

meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Aklys defense right here in Baton Rouge has very good titanium .30 cal suppressors you can disassemble work very well and you support a local shop and local support for any little nick nack issues.

REDLINE83

AURIBUS TENERE LUPUM
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 9, 2015
    Northshore
    Aklys defense right here in Baton Rouge has very good titanium .30 cal suppressors you can disassemble work very well and you support a local shop and local support for any little nick nack issues.

Thanks will have to check them out

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rb24
    Top Bottom