What scanners are you listeners using these days???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Been a few years since I last had a scanner, which was a GRE-PSR500, which was great but found complicated. I recently read about the Uniden BCD436HP and Whistler (formerly GRE apparantly) WS-1080 and got me thinking about getting another scanner. Has anybody developed anything to get into encrypted systems yet, like Ascenscion Parishs' system?

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I ordered a Uniden BCD436HP a couple months ago. As far as "plug and play" it's the easiest version out there.
    With that said, to get the most utility from it you need to make up folders for the frequencies you want to listen to.
    I have a buddy that is really into the communication thing and he came over and walked me throughout the set up on the computer. It's nice to be able to know all the frequencies in use without digging through the old book that Radio Shack used to print. The Uniden program for the computer can be updated weekly to add any new frequency users.
    I haven't used the technology, but you can plug a GPS into the scanner and it will tune frequencies for the area you are currently in. Or you can enter the ZIP code.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You cannot access the encrypted systems unless those operations give you their encryption token. The likelyhood is somewhere between none and money.

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    Check out the scanner radio app by Gordon Edwards. For Android. Seems to work well. Used to tune in in jp when I would hear sirens.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    The app doesn't have Ascension parish at all and very little for Baton Rouge...So, I'm guessing not much has changed with the exception of using a GPS or zip code to automatically search/program frequencies for the given area. How detailed is that search I wonder. Have read varying reviews on both radios on radio reference and eHam. Things are still pretty expensive!!

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    You can install the Uniden program and look at what's available without purchasing the scanner.
    It's fairly complete, this info is open for public knowledge and openly shared. Very few secrets here.
    If someone "finds" a new user, it's added and updated weekly.
    Lots of the comms are currently grouped/shared frequencies.
    And yes, encrypted means general pop can't receive it.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Dr. where can I get that program and peruse? Sounds like it might be a forum format you can contribute frequencies to like Radio Reference. I like that.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Yes Doc, it is Sentinel. I read about it and thought it was the name of the program for downloading the frequencies. I guess it would be the same. Thanks!!

chuck_h

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    new orleans
    I have a standard retail marine radio, lets me hear what all the boat captains are saying on the river. Even heard about a bridge jumper on it once.

Top Bottom