Stupid Louisiana Knife Law

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    J. The provisions of this Section shall not prohibit the ownership of rescue knives by commissioned full-time law enforcement officers. The provisions of this Section shall not prohibit the carrying of rescue knives by commissioned full-time law enforcement officers who are in the actual discharge of their official duties. The provisions of this Section shall not prohibit the sale of rescue knives to commissioned full-time law enforcement officers. The provisions of this Section shall not prohibit the ownership or possession of rescue knives by merchants who own or possess the knives solely as inventory to be offered for sale to commissioned full-time law enforcement officers. As used in this Subsection, a "rescue knife" is a folding knife, which can be readily and easily opened with one hand and which has at least one blade which is designed to be used to free individuals who are trapped by automobile seat belts, or at least one blade which is designed for a similar purpose. No blade of a rescue knife shall exceed five inches in length.

Heads up guys. If you own a knife with a guthook/seatbelt cutter or a folding seatbelt cutter (like the Benchmade Houdini), and you are not LEO, then you are in possession of an illegal "weapon."

Boy is that stupid. Since I'm not LEO, these knives are illegal for me to possess :rofl:

BM915SBKORGcnw.jpg

images

But this is legal...

I65OLTEeh6848_P690271_500X500.jpg

image.php

images

latest

#Allseatbeltlivesmatter

Last edited:

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I would like to think that if a cop got you on that they were simply adding to a much greater offense like trafficking or drug dealing or burglary.
    Right?
    I'm right, right?

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I have been carrying a Benchmade Triage for about five years now. Had to use the seatbelt cutter once to free a passenger in a child safety seat after a wreck and rollover into the ditch outside my house. Didn't know it was illegal, but stupid law. Mom of the kid was very glad I had it at the time and would absolutely do the same again.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have been carrying a Benchmade Triage for about five years now. Had to use the seatbelt cutter once to free a passenger in a child safety seat after a wreck and rollover into the ditch outside my house. Didn't know it was illegal, but stupid law. Mom of the kid was very glad I had it at the time and would absolutely do the same again.

You dirty criminal, you!!!!

What if it was primarily designed for use as a gut hook?

which has at least one blade which is designed to be used to free individuals who are trapped by automobile seat belts

So if it wasn't designed to cut seat belts, but rather was designed to cut intestines, even though it is the same chisel ground recurve blade, it's legal? What idiot wrote that part of the law?

15060-2.jpg

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Did they give any reasoning as to WHY they would prohibit civilians from owning rescue knives? I...don't...get it...

Of course not!

The law has always said rescue knife, but that last little tidbit about seat belts just popped up not too long ago.

I was looking at the benchmade triage over the last 2 weeks and was going to get one. This sucks a$$.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Honestly, in my opinion, we should all get together and try to contact Knife Rights and have this bologna taken care of! Doug Ritter has gone above and beyond to help the knife community. His group played a large part in getting Automatic knives legalized in Texas and other states. Not being able to own a knife with a seat belt cutter is ****ing stupid. If anything, it means that this law creates unsafe events for someone trying to use a regular knife in the event of emergency. I was looking into getting a Houdini tool, but it's not worth the hassle. What's even funnier is that they sell knives with seat belt cutters/gut hooks at Academy.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Yes, I'm a filthy criminal and freely admit the realization of it. I realized years ago that we all are in some way or other. So many do's and don'ts have been placed on us over time that I don't think there is any escaping it. Guess if they want me, they'll find some way to get me anyway. Designed that way.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yes, I'm a filthy criminal and freely admit the realization of it. I realized years ago that we all are in some way or other. So many do's and don'ts have been placed on us over time that I don't think there is any escaping it. Guess if they want me, they'll find some way to get me anyway. Designed that way.

:D

I just think it's ironic that it's a law; a stupid law. We all know it's stupid, but we all know it's so petty it will never get changed. You'd really have to **** someone off to get charged for having a safety tool :mamoru:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    La RS 14:95

http://legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?d=78739

I think y'all are misinterpreting what it says.

Please elaborate.

The Benchmade Triage was designed with a blunt tipped blade, safety hook, and a glass breaker. It was solely designed as a rescue knife. On the other hand, the Benchmade Grizzly Creek was designed with a sharpened tip blade and a "gut hook."

There is no difference between a gut hook and a safety hook. It's just different wording, but according to the law, only one is illegal.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Please elaborate.

The Benchmade Triage was designed with a blunt tipped blade, safety hook, and a glass breaker. It was solely designed as a rescue knife. On the other hand, the Benchmade Grizzly Creek was designed with a sharpened tip blade and a "gut hook."

There is no difference between a gut hook and a safety hook. It's just different wording, but according to the law, only one is illegal.

I don't see anything in the statute that states that ownership or possession of a rescue knife by a non-leo is illegal.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I don't see anything in the statute that states that ownership or possession of a rescue knife by a non-leo is illegal.

Neither do I, but I do see where it says that it doesn't prohibit LEO from possessing them. So, if there is nothing saying they are illegal, why say that it shall not prohibit LEO?

I'm trying to clear the air on some common misconceptions about knives in our state. I'm revisiting the subject, because of a conversation I had at work today.

Top Bottom