School me in shotguns, 500 or 870 for house. Also WTB

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    So, I would like a short barrel pump shotgun for the house, but I am not to familiar with the differences in models. I understand the safety is different between the two, but that is about it. I would like to stick with one of these as they seem to be the models chosen by police and military, and I am sure they know what they are doing.

Opinions? Everyone seems to love to give them, so let it out! Whichever model I choose, I would stick with the wood furniture, as I cosmetically like that the best (I'm shallow like that). I would also like the ability to add a light, seems that would not be a problem with either model.

Ultimately, looking to buy, so If you have one laying around collecting dust, let me know. Want it to be classic looking, wood furniture, police style. No plastic.

I should add, I used to have a Stevens pump, so not completely shotgun ignorant, just not educated. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I picked up a mossberg 500 persuader with a light built-in to the pump handguard not long ago and really like it. Of course it's not wood.
    I also REALLY like the Winchester SXP...and the fit and finish is better than the 500...but that's not on your list and I am not sure they offer a short-barrel wood version.

Never owned an 870 but was close a lot of times.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    We have a pretty neat old school wood stocked 870 wingmaster police/ riot model on the used rack at GGW. Its in excellent shape. It without a doubt screams traditional riot shotgun. It was traded in by a retired LE officer.

Heres a simple feed tube light mount by streamlight. Add that and a picatinny mounted LED light of your choice. With the 870 you would probably have to get a tube extension though.

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-Mag-Tube-Rail-SuperTac/dp/B0028LXG5A

Heres another option...see thread with pics
    https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=271484

And another...theres many options! Personally thinking about this one for my Vepr12.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/12/22/rs-regulate-shotgun-light-mounts/

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I prefer the 870's, doesn't hurt that those are what we train on and are issued. Most of them are old as dirt, have been carried for decades, and all run without a hitch with basic maintenance.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Forget about the pump, go with a good semi auto! The pump take a lot more training to run it , trust me on this, in not a cop but have been shooting 3 gun for a long time and have seen tons of pump shotgun crashes

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you've got the cash, go for an auto.

Otherwise, if you're going the 870 route, try to find a Wingmaster. I don't trust the new 870 express pumps, I've had three with issues.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I love coach guns. I made an OU sawed off (sawed the stock too) that I just love due to the simplicity. It's a blast to shoot, but I'll tell you what I wouldn't want to be anywhere in front of it ever...because lord only knows where all the pellets go. I'll pattern it soon to see what she does.

josh62685

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    houma, la
    I recently traded my 870 tactical model. It was a great gun. I have never shot any other shotgun so I can't compare it to anything. But I have never had a failure.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    So, I would like a short barrel pump shotgun for the house, but I am not to familiar with the differences in models. I understand the safety is different between the two, but that is about it. I would like to stick with one of these as they seem to be the models chosen by police and military, and I am sure they know what they are doing.

Opinions? Everyone seems to love to give them, so let it out! Whichever model I choose, I would stick with the wood furniture, as I cosmetically like that the best (I'm shallow like that). I would also like the ability to add a light, seems that would not be a problem with either model.

Ultimately, looking to buy, so If you have one laying around collecting dust, let me know. Want it to be classic looking, wood furniture, police style. No plastic.

I should add, I used to have a Stevens pump, so not completely shotgun ignorant, just not educated. Thanks for the help!

If you want classic, get an Ithaca feather light "slam gun" lol. If you want something more practical go with an 870 or mossberg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I choose Mossberg and here's why... 1. The 500 is just as reliable as the famed 870. 2. The mossberg is less expensive. 3. The safety and slide release placement is far better (at least for me).

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Bar fights have been started over what is THE home defense shotgun. There's two trains of thought about home defense shotguns.

Forget about the pump, go with a good semi auto! The pump take a lot more training to run it , trust me on this, in not a cop but have been shooting 3 gun for a long time and have seen tons of pump shotgun crashes
    This in a competition context is true. When the clock is running is when you default to your level of training. When you short stroke a pump you now you have a nicely configured wood club. Done it myself in practice. With a good semi-auto, good being the keyword, it's pull the trigger and get back on target. Semi-autos do shoot softer than pumps which means that it can be quicker to get back on target.

Negatives of the semi-auto in a home defense setting is that it may set around for months in the back of the closet without getting cleaned or fired. Dust, lint, cat hair, and who knows what else can get in the action and possibly foul it. Another possible concern is that semi-autos are just a bit more picky about what ammo will run in it. You have to run a few boxes of whatever ammo you've chosen through it to make sure it will chamber, cycle, eject, and run as it should. Lastly semi-autos are more expensive than pumps.

I have a FNH SLP MKI. Soft shooting. 100% reliable when fed with decent factory ammo. Only malfunctions have been with my out of spec 12ga reloads. Not the fault of the gun here. I wouldn't hesitate for it to be my home defense shotgun as long as I remember to take it down every couple months for a quick cleaning.

-----

The pump shotgun has been around since the earth cooled. It's thoroughly debugged technology. That is the advantage of the pump. A pump can sit around for months and still run. My 870 sits in the closet and comes out every six months to cycle out the ammo and give it wipe down. Once a year I clean it. (Flame suit is on.) Pumps are far less picky about ammo than semi-autos. If you can get it in the chamber it will go bang. Some of my 12ga reloads were so bad that I really shouldn't have tried to shoot it. The hull mouth where the crimp starts was too large and wouldn't chamber in a semi-auto. Force feeding it into a pump it went bang. The manual of arms in a pump is easy for someone not very familiar with firearms. You can get a pump into the mix for half of what a semi-auto can cost.

Negatives of a pump is that it takes training and practice to be good at it. Pumps are blunt force guns where you can't be gentle cycling the action. Slam/slam isn't a Hollywood thing, it takes that to ensure the expended round is ejected and the next round is chambered. If you have one arm out of action for whatever reason you are in a real bind with a pump. Recoil of a pump is more than a semi-auto. Run a heavy buckshot load in a pump you will know that you sent something serious downrange. A semi-auto soaks up some of that recoil. This translates into that it takes longer to get back on target with a pump than a semi-auto.

What's sitting in my closet is a Remington 870 Express Turkey with the addition of a Tacstar magazine extension. That particular model of 870 is discontinued. In its place is the same shotgun in camo. Another option a bit more expensive is the 870 Special Purpose Marine. Going down in price is the 870 Express Synthetic 7 Round.

-----

I've probably confused the subject for the OP. Yeah I went through the same process when I worked my way through in choosing a home defense shotgun. We all did, or should have. What tipped me toward the 870 was the manual of arms. My spousal unit isn't into guns at all. What I needed was dirt simple guns for her to run if the need arises. She understood the 870, the SLP not so much.

I'm not familiar with the Mossberg 500 line but someone could pour over the spec sheets and find a 21 inch-ish barrel gun that can accept an eight or so magazine extension.

RussnAttitude

always learning
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    UN
    Mossberg. I've had both. Love the Mossberg. More user friendly, to me it feels lighter, and as said above, its less expensive...

Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is
    Either system (Mossberg or Remington) is solid as far as I am concerned. I went with the Mossberg because I prefer the location of safety, but I know others like Remington's setup. At the present, our household has three Mossbergs - a 500 in 12 for me, a 500 Youth in 20 that is the wife's, and a Super Shorty in 12 for giggles. All run just fine with almost any load and we've had zero trouble with them over the years. The only parts I've added are light systems on the two fully-stocked guns, and a sling on 20 because the Mrs requested one.

All that said, one of my brothers has standardized on the 870, both for hunting and HD, and won't even consider another make. To each their own.

Untranslate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2012
    Any decent pump or semi auto shot gun will work. What is more likely to make a difference if your familiarity with the weapon you choose. I like to compare it to typing on a qwerty keyboard. If you have to stare at your keyboard and peck at it with one finger your in trouble. A good/proficient typist on the other hand very seldom looks at their keyboard and can keep their eyes on the screen why typing. You need to be familiar enough with your weapon to operate it while keeping your eyes on what ever is threatening you. If you can manage that then any quality shot gun will work the rest is just preference.

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    Either one will serve you well I have a Mossberg 590 that is about 30 years old & hasn't missed a beat. Handles 2 3/4' or 3", holds 8 or 9 rounds depending on what you load.

Rigolette

Pronounced "Row Gully"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    I picked up a mossberg 500 persuader with a light built-in to the pump handguard not long ago and really like it.

I have this one as well and really like it. The Insight tactical light is built into the pump and has three modes: press to hold on, press twice and release to give continuous light and press twice (holding on the second press) for strobe effect. The light is extremely bright and lights up a large area well. It only holds six (either 2 3/4 or 3-inch magnum), five in the tube and one in the chamber but that's more than enough for home defense. It has an 18 1/2" barrel. Picked it up at Academy a few months ago on sale.

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    I have a KSG for sale:
    DSC_01131.jpg

:P

Top Bottom