Anybody have/use Ubox for TV ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I'm looking to get rid Cox cable and some advertisement for Ubox.
    I'm wondering if this is a good system or are there others that are better or easier to use. I want a system that is easy to implement and actually use with fewest problems.
    Thanks in advance for any info.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    I don't have any smart TV's. What can I buy to hook up to my TV's so that I can get cable type programming. Hulu doesn't carry the Walking Dead. I don't care about 1000's of ancient TV shows except for maybe Westerns.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Get a Amazon Fire Stick ($39 OTF)... then get Amazon Prime ($99 A YEAR)... watch or listen to anything that is free to prime users (plenty). It's also a platform to all other streaming sources... Netflix, Crackle, Hulu, Vudu, and a ton of other streaming apps.

Now... if you're looking for a way to stick it to the man like the Ubox... Then you can "sideload" an application by the name of "Kodi" (used to be XBMC) onto the Fire Stick... Once it's actually configured properly, you can stream nearly anything ever produced for a whopping $0.00... EVER! Better than Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Unfortunately, you need an HDMI hookup to plug in nearly any external "stick"... so you would need to purchase a HDMI to COMPONENT or COMPOSITE converter (not sure if just a Digital Receiver would work as it doesn't have an HDMI in if I'm not mistaken). Unless your TV has an HDMI port.

Ubox is just a generic branded android box that runs the same software (Kodi)... However, from the research I've done, the Fire Stick is a more stable platform and as one of the best (and simple) remote controls. I've experimented with a number of "clones" like the Ubox... even some that are just HDMI sticks like the Fire Stick... and the Fire Stick (even with it's lower hardware specifications) beats them all.

If you were to go the Ubox route... I would research others and get one that comes with just Android on it... and then load Kodi and configure it yourself to your specifications. Usually the devices that come pre-configured have a bunch of bugs and need plenty of updates. It's also much easier to configure it the way you want it the first time than it is to RE-configure something someone else has done. There are even some Intel Sticks now that have Windows 10 or Linux on them. They are the fastest and most robust devices on the market and can just as easily be configured to run the Media Streaming Software.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I don't have any smart TV's. What can I buy to hook up to my TV's so that I can get cable type programming. Hulu doesn't carry the Walking Dead. I don't care about 1000's of ancient TV shows except for maybe Westerns.

I don't have any Smart TV's either. I just have one HD TV and a "Smart" Blu-Ray player. There are tons of electronics you can use to hook up to your TV and stream online.

Can't help you with the Walking Dead. I watched the first episode and thought it was terrible.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    This sounds like exactly what I want to do. I have flat screen TV's with HDMI slots. They are just not Smart TV's with Wifi capability. It'll still cost me $65 to $80/month to get high speed internet to allow streaming, but there is no way around that if I want some kind of TV programming. Still beats $130/month for expanded basic cable with one semi-premium box on one TV and they are getting ready to jack that price up.

Get a Amazon Fire Stick ($39 OTF)... then get Amazon Prime ($99 A YEAR)... watch or listen to anything that is free to prime users (plenty). It's also a platform to all other streaming sources... Netflix, Crackle, Hulu, Vudu, and a ton of other streaming apps.

Now... if you're looking for a way to stick it to the man like the Ubox... Then you can "sideload" an application by the name of "Kodi" (used to be XBMC) onto the Fire Stick... Once it's actually configured properly, you can stream nearly anything ever produced for a whopping $0.00... EVER! Better than Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Unfortunately, you need an HDMI hookup to plug in nearly any external "stick"... so you would need to purchase a HDMI to COMPONENT or COMPOSITE converter (not sure if just a Digital Receiver would work as it doesn't have an HDMI in if I'm not mistaken). Unless your TV has an HDMI port.

Ubox is just a generic branded android box that runs the same software (Kodi)... However, from the research I've done, the Fire Stick is a more stable platform and as one of the best (and simple) remote controls. I've experimented with a number of "clones" like the Ubox... even some that are just HDMI sticks like the Fire Stick... and the Fire Stick (even with it's lower hardware specifications) beats them all.

If you were to go the Ubox route... I would research others and get one that comes with just Android on it... and then load Kodi and configure it yourself to your specifications. Usually the devices that come pre-configured have a bunch of bugs and need plenty of updates. It's also much easier to configure it the way you want it the first time than it is to RE-configure something someone else has done. There are even some Intel Sticks now that have Windows 10 or Linux on them. They are the fastest and most robust devices on the market and can just as easily be configured to run the Media Streaming Software.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Top Bottom