First AR Build and First SBR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Was able to finish this build a couple of days ago. Thanks SpeedRacer for taking all my texts and phone calls.

Have a Micro T-1 with Bobro mount coming from Interstate guns. Silencerco Saker with ASR mount is in jail at the LGS.

Went to the range this past Saturday to test out the SLR Sentry gas block and get the iron sights close. Started at position 5 for the Sentry and was able to get lock-back on an empty magazine. At position 4, there was no lock-back. So, I set it at 6 and will watch it from there. Buffer is the stock that comes with the A5 system (A5H2).

I only ran about 24 rounds through the thing that day. There was a family to my right whose young girl (~11) was shooting for her first time. Didn't want to mess that up with the brake.

So, I get up early Sunday to get back out to Woodworth before the crowd gathered. About 10 or so rounds into the morning, I start getting malfunctions. The rifle wanted to brass over bolt on me. So, I pack up to do some research. From what I can tell, this is usually an ejection issue, so I have installed the o-ring that came with the BCM BCG. That's where I'm at for now. I'll have to get back out there and see how that fixes things. I think that may do the trick as I ran the charging handle on a magazine (ran the magazine until empty). The rounds were ejecting to a neat little pile at the same spot of the bed.

Not the best picture, but here she is.

ETA: Shout out to JCcypress for the trust work as well.

sbr1.jpg

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    For extraction issues, I like to try the MGI Dfender. Its a pretty cheap option that improves extraction rate pretty well. Worked well for my ar pistol.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    For extraction issues, I like to try the MGI Dfender. Its a pretty cheap option that improves extraction rate pretty well. Worked well for my ar pistol.

Ran across that during the research as well. Might have to look into that if I still have issues.

Who makes your bolt/bcg? Maybe the extractor is the issue?

It's a BCM bolt carrier group with their enhanced spring and Crane o-ring. Will keep an eye on it next time I'm at the range. While reading on other sites, supposedly rifle and mid length gas systems work well with just the spring. The carbine length gas system can require the o-ring.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    If you ever make it out to the NOLA area, you are more than welcome and try any part of my sbr's. I think I have 4 5.56 Sbr's and also have 3 sbr 300 uppers. So bunch of different bcg, buffer tube, spring and buffer combos to swap out and try.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    That rifle looks strangely familiar. :D

How much longer till the can stamp comes in?

Yeah. I think they're pretty close to identical except for some of the furniture and barrel (BCM BFH 11.5" here). Which sights did you opt for?

I keep wanting to try a handstop but don't think I'll get away from a vertical foregrip. The foregrips have a bit more utility, IMO. Does the Unity Tactical foregrip mount to M-LOK?

Did all the can paperwork on July 13th. So, I'm thinking around a Nov.-Dec. time frame.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Yeah. I think they're pretty close to identical except for some of the furniture and barrel (BCM BFH 11.5" here). Which sights did you opt for?

I keep wanting to try a handstop but don't think I'll get away from a vertical foregrip. The foregrips have a bit more utility, IMO. Does the Unity Tactical foregrip mount to M-LOK?

Did all the can paperwork on July 13th. So, I'm thinking around a Nov.-Dec. time frame.

First cousins at the least...

47f6a10407aa526233cad3364f175d9c.jpg

MBUS Pro rear and Unity micro hub/folding front with SF Mini Scout.

It doesn't have MLok specific hardware but the VFG will bolt up fine with the standard non-keymod hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Quick update for the issue I mentioned above. The installation of the o-ring fixed the problem. Brass ejected to a predictable location (about 3:30 to 4:00). Rapid fire was no issue either.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom