SBR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If the suppressor was permanently attached (welded), then it would not be an SBR. Would only need tax stamp on the suppressor. Daniel Defense and a couple other companies offer similar rifles from the factory.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Don't do it though, it will be the biggest regret of your NFA life. Seen many people do it and they have all said the exact same thing down the road.

I mean who cares its just $200+getting a lower engraved.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    You are going to spend around 200 to get a barrel cut down and retreaded. And pay someone to weld a suppressor on it.

You may as well pay for the tax stamp. And make it a sbr. Bc NFA isn't cheap. 1000 into the rifle, another 1000 into the suppressor etc, why skimp on the last 200. And you gain modularity, and if anything were to happen to the suppressor, you would be able to take it off and send it in for service a lot easier.

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    So it actually has to be welded, not just pinned? I was considering this for a 300blk build with a form 1 aluminum silencer. Obviously I can't weld al to stainless barrel.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    So it actually has to be welded, not just pinned? I was considering this for a 300blk build with a form 1 aluminum silencer. Obviously I can't weld al to stainless barrel.

Blind pinned and welded is a common term/procedure used to "permanently" fix a muzzle device to a barrel less than 16" to meet appropriate OAL. ATF just doesnt want the device to be easily removed from the way I understand it. Theres a few different ways it can be done, which Im sure other member can elaborate on better than I can. But usually theres a hole drilled into the muzzle device and into the threads of the barrel after the device is aligned and then it is pinned in place. The pin is a one way pin that is covered by a spot weld or a solder of some sort, making it "permanent."

So you could weld the device straight to the barrel, but only if the two materials could be welded. Most people and manufacturers opt for the spot weld on the muzzle device as to not sacrifice the integrity or aesthetics of the barrel for use later on if the device must be removed.

Last edited:

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    not to thread jack, if a child, (shooting with supervision) places an ar15 pistol's, buffer tube against his should while firing, would the atf consider it an illegal sbr at that moment?

G_S

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Shreveport
    not to thread jack, if a child, (shooting with supervision) places an ar15 pistol's, buffer tube against his should while firing, would the atf consider it an illegal sbr at that moment?

Technically..... yes.....
    Once you use the shoulder for stability & increased accuracy... it has now become a SBR...

Also, good call OP on spending the extra $200 on getting the second stamp.
    Please post pictures when it is done!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bbroussard
    Top Bottom