Acadiana conservation corridor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Anyone here ever hunt here? I went ride down the bayou today look around, but honestly don't know much of what to look for. I seen (what I think is) some rubbing. Just wondering if anyone had any luck there, or any tips. I went to the boat launch on 3 seperate occasions and haven't seen anyone else there, probably because you need a 4x4 truck for ramp and a surface drive to get there.

dangermoney

C'est Chaud Peur Lot
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    "The Acadiana Conservation Corridor WMA is a tract of land situated in the parishes of St. Landry, Evangeline, Avoyelles, and Rapides, owned by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. This scenic easement area lying between the I-49 right-of-way westward to the Bayou Boeuf-Cocodrie Diversion Canal, begins just north of the community of Washington, La. in St. Landry Parish and extends northward through Evangeline Parish, Avoyelles Parish, and the southern portion of Rapides Parish. The entire length of this area is approximately 26 miles and comprises approximately 2285 acres."

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/wma/32625

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Will, if you are going north on I49, pass up the Washington exit, pass up the nice rest area with the big lake, you will come to the exit for highway 29 (the second Ville Platte exit). The boat launch is immediately off the exit. I believe it's Bayou Cocodrie running parallel to I49, the WMA is the narrow wooded area between the bayou and I49. It's very narrow and you can see the traffic and the bayou if you stand in the middle. I don't find much info on it since not many hunt it, since the launch isn't great, need a surface drive because the bayou can be real shallow, and bow only all year. Just so happens I live 20 min away, just bought a small go-devil, and don't mind bow hunting. I went check it out today in some parts, and did see what I believe to be rubbing, but don't have much knowledge to go scouting. I have the boat, if someone wants to go check it out.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Will, if you are going north on I49, pass up the Washington exit, pass up the nice rest area with the big lake, you will come to the exit for highway 29 (the second Ville Platte exit). The boat launch is immediately off the exit. I believe it's Bayou Cocodrie running parallel to I49, the WMA is the narrow wooded area between the bayou and I49. It's very narrow and you can see the traffic and the bayou if you stand in the middle. I don't find much info on it since not many hunt it, since the launch isn't great, need a surface drive because the bayou can be real shallow, and bow only all year. Just so happens I live 20 min away, just bought a small go-devil, and don't mind bow hunting. I went check it out today in some parts, and did see what I believe to be rubbing, but don't have much knowledge to go scouting. I have the boat, if someone wants to go check it out.

Take picture's next time of the rubbings/scrapes, I'm sure some on here have seen a few.
    I no longer bow hunt since I would shoot armadillos or rabbit's just for practice, Rabbits I would eat however!

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Driving I-49 numerous times in the past I have seen more than a few deer that come out of those woods to graze in the area between the WMA and the interstate. I have also seen hogs in the ditch rooting.
    I would think that the deer cross back and forth over I-49 to the fields and woods on the east side of the interstate due to the number of deer carcasses I have seen on I-49.
    So, that establishes that there are huntable populations of animals in that area. How to hunt can't have too many options as narrow as the area seems to be. Pick a spot and climb a tree and see what happens.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Sounds simple enough, I have a tendency to overthink things. I may put a camera out, beings I've never seen anyone else there. Will let you guys know how it goes. There's nothing during the day at my lease, might as well try somewhere else.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I hunted it a few hrs ago. If you take your time on the water and look closely, you'll see where they leave a trail on the bank when/where they cross the bayou. There were fields across that they were feeding in the year I hunted it. Put in there and scout inside, looking for trails, intersections, rubs, scrapes, etc. A lot of good trees to either climb or attach a stand.
    The further north you go, the bigger the trees. There's also quite a few oaks in there i.e.; acorns.
    The deer are used to the highway/vehicle noises, and the closer you go east/towards I -49, it will become quite loud and will be difficult to hear them walking if you set up there.
    I may be wrong, but I think the rut there is early, as in, it's already passed.
    Also, make sure you sign in, LDWF DOES go by there, and they do check you.
    Also....there's ZERO light/illumination at that ramp. That is a very difficult ramp for one person to back down and launch in the dark. Good luck and be safe.
    And yes, there's quite a few deer in that little stretch of woods.....
    Hope this helps

Last edited:

LAsportsman27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2021
    Youngsville
    I hunted it a few hrs ago. If you take your time on the water and look closely, you'll see where they leave a trail on the bank when/where they cross the bayou. There were fields across that they were feeding in the year I hunted it. Put in there and scout inside, looking for trails, intersections, rubs, scrapes, etc. A lot of good trees to either climb or attach a stand.
    The further north you go, the bigger the trees. There's also quite a few oaks in there i.e.; acorns.
    The deer are used to the highway/vehicle noises, and the closer you go east/towards I -49, it will become quite loud and will be difficult to hear them walking if you set up there.
    I may be wrong, but I think the rut there is early, as in, it's already passed.
    Also, make sure you sign in, LDWF DOES go by there, and they do check you.
    Also....there's ZERO light/illumination at that ramp. That is a very difficult ramp for one person to back down and launch in the dark. Good luck and be safe.
    And yes, there's quite a few deer in that little stretch of woods.....
    Hope this helps

Have you been in there recently? I plan to hunt it this year. I'm gonna use my 17' aluminum bass boat (40 Merc). Want to be prepared as much as I can. Seeing the spiders are a big deal but I won't let that deter me making hunts. Anything else I might say "hell, I'm not sure about this so much.."?

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Have you been in there recently? I plan to hunt it this year. I'm gonna use my 17' aluminum bass boat (40 Merc). Want to be prepared as much as I can. Seeing the spiders are a big deal but I won't let that deter me making hunts. Anything else I might say "hell, I'm not sure about this so much.."?

No, sorry but 2015 was my last season there. We always ran that bayou with a surface drive due to some very shallow areas. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom