It's hammer time.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    This is for all the guys and girls out there who work hard providing for your families and like to work with their hands. I know this is most of the people on this site, so I know I'm preaching to the choir.
    My family has had this property near Breaux Bridge since the early 1900's and we have been planning to build a camp there for many years. We have finally gotten to a place where we can do this, but it hasn't been easy. Finances are always an issue with any project, so we will build it in a couple of different phases. We needed a place to store out tools so we don't have to haul them back and fourth from home every time. It needed to be secure and plus we wanted it to look like the building had been there for awhile and fit in with its surroundings. We finally decided on a sheet metal roof with cypress siding. The building is 10x10 with 9 foot walls with a 6 on 12 roof. We poured a slab for it to sit on, which is a story within itself as the cement finishers had to tear the form down so we could get a wrecker to pull out the cement truck that got stuck. Well that was no problem but when they put it back up they didn't have the tools to make sure it was level so it's about 2 inches low in one corner. We knew this going in so when we framed the building this was taken into account and we did what it took to make sure our framing came out right. We have it framed, the roof on and sheeting on the exterior of the shed. I was able to get the cypress this week and we put a few boards on today. It will be board and batten with the main boards 12 inches wide and the battens will be 3 inches wide. The cypress is a true 1 inch board and was kiln dried. When we finish it I'll post some more pictures. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445723290.234096.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1445723319.179883.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1445723344.720091.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1445723371.879344.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1445723422.729673.jpg

Last edited:

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    We are gonna go with a winning their hearts and minds strategy. We've had some stuff stolen years ago, but we've been around the area long enough to meet most of the neighbors. They are are all good people and we've tried to be the same to them. In the long run though it is what it is, but we don't sit around worrying about the bad @&$? in life or what may happen. We will prepare, pay attention and forge ahead.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    We are gonna go with a winning their hearts and minds strategy. We've had some stuff stolen years ago, but we've been around the area long enough to meet most of the neighbors. They are are all good people and we've tried to be the same to them. In the long run though it is what it is, but we don't sit around worrying about the bad @&$? in life or what may happen. We will prepare, pay attention and forge ahead.

I also like toe poppers (nutria traps) buried around the front door, That way you just look for the guy with the limp.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The wood came from Bayou State Lumber located on Hwy 71 near Morrow Louisiana,which is near Bunkie. It's the first time I dealt with them and they were very nice. They have lots of cypress products and will work with you as far as the size boards you need. I wish the boards came in 3/4 inch instead of 1 inch but I figure my grand kids will still be using that building long after I'm gone. It's my first time with batten and board, but although time consuming to install, it seems to be going up pretty good.

Top Bottom