post surgery training

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fng

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    im just looking to get some input from any of you that have had shoulder surgery that also lift weights..Im having a torn labram and rotator repair and will continue to lift after PT. For any of you that have had similar circumstances, did you work your way back to heavy pressing or do you keep it light with high reps? Are there any excercises that you were told to avoid? I'm guessing dips are out..what else? Any PT's on the board please chime in or send me a Pm,
    Thanks

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    I started with light weight excercise and babied it for several months. It is the joint stability to be concerned with not the muscles. You will probably be strong enough to lift more than your newly repaired joint can handle. Take it slow and stay below any weight that causes any pain. After a repair, pain is bad!

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    I am over my pre-op weight, but have shifted my training routine from a traditional body building style to more of a tactical/functional style based on Pat McNamara's CST and a few other similar philosophies like SOFlete. I still stay below weight that causes me any joint pain, having had a knee, wrist, shoulder and elbow/upper arm cut on and needing the other knee and shoulder cut on. I am still able to make good gains and actually feel stronger now than I have in over a decade. I look at the joints as my foundation. If that is jacked up, then I cant get a good structure in/around it. I have been pushing hard since early July and have had 0 issues while making gains and dropping 30+ pounds. I'm no doc or PT but I know what works for me. I stay away from pain and listen to my body. If I feel like I have more left I don't increase weight that causes joint pain, I add more reps/sets. My goals are different now than they were many years ago and I want to avoid any more cutting if I can.

fng

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    I am over my pre-op weight, but have shifted my training routine from a traditional body building style to more of a tactical/functional style based on Pat McNamara's CST and a few other similar philosophies like SOFlete. I still stay below weight that causes me any joint pain, having had a knee, wrist, shoulder and elbow/upper arm cut on and needing the other knee and shoulder cut on. I am still able to make good gains and actually feel stronger now than I have in over a decade. I look at the joints as my foundation. If that is jacked up, then I cant get a good structure in/around it. I have been pushing hard since early July and have had 0 issues while making gains and dropping 30+ pounds. I'm no doc or PT but I know what works for me. I stay away from pain and listen to my body. If I feel like I have more left I don't increase weight that causes joint pain, I add more reps/sets. My goals are different now than they were many years ago and I want to avoid any more cutting if I can.

thanks for the input bro.
    im going to undoubetly change my style of lifting, i have always been about doing the heavy triples,doubles, etc. but i know that's not going to be the winning formula going forward. I look forward to a new style of lifting as ive been lifting the same way for 20 years now..

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom