PSA: Wear Your Seatbelts!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    While I can't go into too many details because of ongoing investigation, I was involved in a 20-F (fatal car wreck) recently in New Orleans.

Short version: a driver failed to yield at a stop sign, literally right in front of me. I'm fine, but no one in the other car was belted in; and one of them died as a result despite the relatively low speed of the collision. The investigator at the scene told me,"Mr. XD-GEM, don't beat yourself up over this. You weren't at fault, and if they'd have worn their seatbelt, they would have walked away from this."

I can't tell you how many times I've rolled up on similar scenes where a seemingly insignificant collision resulted in no injury to those in belts and death to those unbuckled.

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    Princess Di wouldda walked away if she wore a seatbelt.
    I've worn mine every time I get in a car since I was a kid.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Dang, crazy that happened. I hope the other family doesn't try to come after you. I've met so many people still try to sue even though they clearly dont have a case.

And I need to be more careful. I usually wear my belt but have been known to leave it off on very short trips

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm glad you walked away without injury!

I always make sure that everyone in the vehicle has their belt on, whether they want to or not. My father always told me "You don't have to worry about yourself, if you drive like you're supposed to... it's everyone around you that you have to look for."

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I did 10 years with a volunteer fire dept. I've pulled few people out of vehicles who would have walked away if they had been wearing a seat belt. That being said, the first fatality I had ever been to, involved 4 dead and one without a scratch. The 4 dead had seat belts on, the one survivor did not. They flipped a convertible and "luckily" the one guy without a seat belt was ejected. But that's not the normal outcome of not wearing a seatbelt.
    Good your ok.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    XD-GEM, I highly suggest that you get with a professional and talk it out. You've been through a tramatic experience. You may be able to deal with it on your own but working it out with a pro will make the process easier.

I was a crew chief on an EMS helicopter many years back. Here and there I rode along and often got after action reports from the flight crew. It really is nuts to see what appears to be nothing more than a parking lot fender-bender and find that there were fatalities involved. On the other hand you'd see a vehicle that you can't identify as to whether it's a car or pickup and the driver is standing nearby going "Gee, that sucks."

In another incident I observed a pickup involved a single vehicle collision that resulted in the driver being ejected from the vehicle. Stopping with a couple other citizens we rendered first aid. He survived long enough to get flown out but if he did survive I'm sure he would be a drooling blob. Once brains are on pavement the game changes.

WEAR YOUR SEATBELT!

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Dang, crazy that happened. I hope the other family doesn't try to come after you. I've met so many people still try to sue even though they clearly dont have a case.

I hope not, too; but you never know.

I'm glad you walked away without injury!

Well, not completely uninjured - but far from dead. Just some neck and back pain that my chiropractor is treating, and some pretty large bruises on my shins that are migrating to my ankles. The doctor said that's normal and should clear up in a few weeks, but until then, no intensive activities that could stress the ankles while they're full of old blood.

I did 10 years with a volunteer fire dept. I've pulled few people out of vehicles who would have walked away if they had been wearing a seat belt. That being said, the first fatality I had ever been to, involved 4 dead and one without a scratch. The 4 dead had seat belts on, the one survivor did not. They flipped a convertible and "luckily" the one guy without a seat belt was ejected. But that's not the normal outcome of not wearing a seatbelt.
    Good your ok.
    You're right to say that the convertible example isn't the norm. I hit the brakes pretty hard, decelerating from about 35 until impact. They were speeding and ran a stop sign, so they had a bunch of kinetic energy to dispel. The deceased popped out of the window right in front of me. Everyone else in the car stayed inside but flew around a good bit. If I hadn't hit the brakes when I did, they'd have T-boned me.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I wasn't adamant about wearing seat belts until I became an auto insurance damage appraiser back in the late 80s. After seeing my first total with scalp and hair material on the windshields and dashes, I decided then and there that I was wearing mine always. Saw plenty more after that and have always gotten on people when I see they don't wear them. It especially pisses me off when I see kids not restrained and/or sitting on an adults lap..Glad you are all right and able to walk away.

Top Bottom