Labor of love. Syrup making time.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    We usually don't make syrup until Thanksgiving but my Uncle wanted to start a little early this year so we cranked up the tractor and squeezed some cane. I know we have some syrup makers here so I thought they would enjoy some pics. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447298420.453646.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1447298446.562380.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1447298473.762405.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1447298491.153112.jpghttps://vimeo.com/145471190

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Man, how bad would your day be messed up if your hand and arm got pulled into that cane press? Scary just thinking about it being powered by the deadliest thing in the farm belt of America; the PTO. ;)

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Yes, the belt driving the mill is way dangerous! We are very aware of this fact and do not let anyone near it except for the person taking the cane out from the mill. The design will be changed when we move our mill which we have plans to do in the future. Let's just say I'm always aware of where I'm standing and moving when I'm removing the crushed cane. For the people who would like to buy some, I'll let you know when we get it bottled. I cannot mail this as we use glass jars so you would have to pick it up in Baton Rouge.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    If you are going to buy some just be warned. Once you taste this you wont be able to eat steens again. This stuff is awesome!!

So I need to buy a couple of gallons?

I learned from my honey order that I need to get more. Only one bottle left.

Sniper56

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    LaPlace
    Takes me back to my childhood. I grew up in south Alabama and in this time of year our cousins made syrup and we would go to their farm and help.
    The used mules to drive the cane crusher and used long metal juice cooking pans on a raised rack, using wood underneath to cook down the juice to syrup.
    It was one of things that is all but gone and am so happy to see it still lives.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Looking good!
    We won't make a batch till near Christmas time. I love to see yall using an old school kettle.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Will you have it ready by Thanksgiving? I have a friend that will be in BR then that can pick me up some.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The Key Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2013
    Gretna, LA
    Please post if you have any surplus or extra syrup for sale. I would like to buy some. Thanks for the pictures. A friend used to live in Mount Hermon, LA and there was a family that used to make their own syrup using a mule to work the machine or crusher. Very interesting for a city slicker like me to watch.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    We have made a bunch on Thanksgiving day for many years. This may be the first year that I can remember that we don't make it.

Top Bottom