Goodyear fires an employee for being a competitive marksman

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I don't know this man personally , but like me , he has earned his distinguished riflemans badge, and is the only foreign national to do so. He is primarily a Palma shooter and represented his country this year at camp Perry at the world championship. Read the link, watch the video.
    Email Goodyear / Dunlop and tell them that is the last batch of tires I'll ever buy from them .
    http://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2015/11/goodyear-sacks-an-employee-for-being-a-sporting-shooter/

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Is it really too much to ask for violent criminals and terrorists to be punished instead of good citizens?
    Excessive gun laws that only apply to good citizens have created a mindset that turns people into criminals.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    The goodyear in Gretna has a no weapons sign on on the front door. I noticed it when I was after some 35"s for my jeep....nope, they can eat dirt.

NickelPython357

Revolverist
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I usually don't do things like this but I visited the Goodyear website and filled in every blank for comments with a statement that I would never use any Goodyear products again for the rest of my life. This ticked me off.

Everyone should do this immediately. Never liked their overpriced products anyway.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Goodrich for me also. The goodyear in lakeside had a similar sign. That was the last time I went there. It ADNM...

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Below is a copy of the message I sent to Goodyear. You can access this page at https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/about/contact-goodyear-corporate.html. I clicked the Global Communications box under the Corporate Email banner. You only have 1000 characters so make it brief and get to the point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reference the termination of Goodyear Australia employee David Waters.

As a competitive marksman I find it disturbing that Mr. Waters was terminated without just cause. Testimony by New South Wales Senator David Leyonhjelm stated that he violated no laws. Yet he was terminated by a corporate policy over which he had no control. This appears to be a case of corporate bigotry against firearm owners and competitive marksmen.

Mr. Waters competes in Palma competition. International PALMA Trophy team shooting is dedicated, "to sustain in its finest tradition the superb competition in long range rifle marksmanship, which since 1876 has engendered mutual understanding and friendship, warm goodwill, and above all good sportsmanship among marksmen."

The termination of Mr. Waters erodes the international goodwill and friendship that is in such short supply these days.

Let it be known that this household will no longer purchase Goodyear or Dunlop tires nor any products manufactured by you.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    One point... and like I said I'm not a goodyear fan.

How would your employer feel if a friend of yours walked into your job for you to work on a rifle while on company time. As a manager I'd be upset also. Just because a gun is involved doesn't make it a 2A issue.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    They want you to believe the company manager walked in and told him he was fired because he is a shooter. He was fired because a friend brought a gun to him at work.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Honestly my company would fire me as well, same if they thought someone had a gun in their vehicle in the parking lot. It honestly makes no sense, but it is their business, I can work elsewhere if I chose, but they pay me enough to deal with it. Also, if I was going to take a gun out of my vehicle at anyone's work, I would make darn sure it was OK with them first!

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    "To clarify and correct some misinformation - Mr. Waters was not dismissed
    for being a shooter.
    Mr. Waters was dismissed for a violation of the company’s policy. The
    incident involved a firearm that had been brought onto company property.
    Mr. Waters is challenging the Company's action before the Australian Fair
    Work Commission, as is his right. As the matter is currently being examined
    by the AFWC, we are not able to make any further comments at this time."

Jennifer - Consumer Relations"You didn't have an appropriate selection for my concern. David Waters, an
    Australian Goodyear Employee, was recently fired. I have purchased 2 sets
    of Goodyear tires in the past but will no longer do so. The situation
    behind David Waters' termination is troubling. I don't know if this will
    even be read or past along but thought it was best to let my feelings be
    known. The online survey which was offered when I came to this website
    will reflect these feelings also." Me

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "To clarify and correct some misinformation - Mr. Waters was not dismissed
    for being a shooter.
    Mr. Waters was dismissed for a violation of the company’s policy. The
    incident involved a firearm that had been brought onto company property.
    Mr. Waters is challenging the Company's action before the Australian Fair
    Work Commission, as is his right. As the matter is currently being examined
    by the AFWC, we are not able to make any further comments at this time."

I received the same reply by e-mail. I e-mailed them back and said he had broken no laws, the gun did not belong to him, the gun was brought to the parking lot without his knowledge and he should not have been fired and I was personally boycotting all Goodyear products until he was reinstated.

If a few thousand people took the time to do this it might make a difference.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Honestly my company would fire me as well, same if they thought someone had a gun in their vehicle in the parking lot. It honestly makes no sense, but it is their business, I can work elsewhere if I chose, but they pay me enough to deal with it. Also, if I was going to take a gun out of my vehicle at anyone's work, I would make darn sure it was OK with them first!

Need to check out Louisiana law about a gun in your car, My company thought the same thing until it was pointed out they couldn't ban firearms in a personal ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom