Got a new bike today.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Its a off of the showfloor 2015 Yamaha TW200. This has been a learning experience for sure. Any tips, tricks, pointers from you riders that have experience would be appreciated.

ldcetPF.jpg

WOJ9t7s.jpg

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Bright colored clothes. Reflective bits especially at night. Take a class or two.

Get real gear (jacket. Gloves. Etc...)

Get some street tires for road use. Knobbies will beat the **** out of you and create dangerous/uncomfortable ride.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When you are approaching an intersection and there is a vehicle approaching the same intersection, slow down as if they are not going to stop.
    When a car is approaching in the opposite lane and there is a place for them to turn left, slow down as if they will turn in front of you.
    These are the most common causes of death to motorcyclists.
    The 3 most important tips are:
    1. Defensive driving.
    2. Defensive driving.
    3. Defensive driving.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Watch for gravel that's been washed out into road, be careful braking on wet pavement, and most importantly watch out for drivers that aren't watching for you. Louisiana has the worst drivers and roads I've seen. I rarely ride my motorcycle since moving back here.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Look into the rider's edge course or the msf course.

THIS. The State MSF Course is cheaper but may be harder to get into, either way it is 100% worth it for the experience, not to mention the insurance discount.

Buy good gear and wear it. All the time. Being sweaty for a few minutes in traffic is not worth months of skin grafts or worse.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Ride like everyone is trying to kill you. Always be thinking about your escape strategy in case something happens because it will happen. I know it sounds bad but it is the truth. It is not so much that they mean to be that way but for some reason people just don't see motorcyclists.

I started riding my bike in California and all I can say is be defensive and treat every car as threat. I was once going through an intersection during broad daylight and the guy on the cross street was looking right at me as he prepared to make a right turn totally had eye contact he waited until I was almost right on him and then decided to turn right into my lane. I had already planned my escape maneuver so I executed it and everything was fine but if I had not been paying attention I would have rear ended him and wound up on the ground. this is just one mild example of bad behavior by drivers. In California there are tons of motorcycles on the road so drivers are more aware of them I believe. Since moving to Louisiana I mostly see them on I10 and right off the interstate but rarely in town so I would especially be watchful riding in town.

Also gear up. Get the best of everything you can afford. Leather works really well. I bought a Hi-Vis Rev'It Fabric jacket and had a low speed get off and the fabric wore through a few places. Switched to a leather jacket after that. Although I walked away from it with the gear I had with just a dislocated shoulder so the gear did its job.

All this advice is based on street riding. If you plan on doing mostly adventure riding the advice will be different but I don't do that so I can't speak to it. Although gear advice is pretty universal.

Good luck have fun I love riding my motorcycle when I get a chance.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Good choice of bikes... I ride a CRF250L so I get the reason why you chose that bike... the TW200 is know to go anywhere you need it too... sadly I dont have knobbies on it currently but will be going back soon... if you wanna ride aome fun roads north of me in Sun and washington parish there are fun places to just ride... I love adv riding the whole "whats down that path?" Thing is great! Ever ridden dirt bikes before?

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I quit riding due to the drinkers here.. Some more advice.. Look with your eyes and head , the bike will follow.. If you turn your head the bike and YOU will go there.. same thing if you are in a turn and you fixate on something at the top of the turn instead of the end of the turn or down the road, you will go right off the top of the curb.. its called target fixation.. I cannot stress this enough, when people drive, they look for things that will hurt them.. You do not pose a risk and they just wont see you.. dibs on your guns..

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    At every stop get back to first gear hold the clutch and prepare to GTFO if necessary.
    Realize how far ahead you can read the road/trail and don't override your capabilities.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Never ride on any public street when there are automobiles present! ;)

I've always had a yearning for buying a motorcycle; but that urge ALWAYS got beaten out by my will to stay alive! :D

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I've always had a yearning for buying a motorcycle; but that urge ALWAYS got beaten out by my will to stay alive! :D

No matter how crappy a day I had when I got home and got off my motorcycle all was right with the world again.

Also once you ride a bike you understand why dogs stick their heads out the car window and get that stupid happy grin on their faces.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Ill admit people on the south shore will try to run you off the road... up north no problem people dont do that onpurpose! They still do atupid things but nothing with malice... I like to ride and ride a lot... I have almost 14k miles in just over a year on my bike. I commute with it. In fact monday I did a large backroad loop around a good part of MS that was fun. When i get knobbies again im tearing up some trails! If anyone wants to ride If I am free I am always up for a ride on my bike!

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    Consider anything that will possibly make you more visable.
    Pulsating headlight mods, flashing tail light, reflective tape strips, etc.
    As mentioned, consider yourself invisible. Watch your 6 as much as anywhere else. Have an escape route planned, always.
    Be safe out there...

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Seems like solid info. Im doing my best impression to act like a sponge and soak up as much as I can. As i know that only so much knowledge can be gained from reading others experiences versus experiencing things for myself.

Keep em comin. Thanks guys!

Also do you guys have any high visibility mods in particular that you would recommend? Certain products or brands. I like the idea of a flashing led tail light.

Top Bottom