SBR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    All of this SBR talk has me wondering 2 things

1. If a longer barrel increases muzzle velocity, range, and accuracy, why would one go short?

2. Why on earth is it illegal without special gov permission. (rhetorical, I know our gun laws make no sense)

I understand that a shorter weapon is better for clearing buildings, but there are pistol caliber carbines that are better suited to the task.

I guess I can understand people wanting them because they can have them, but I can't come up with any other reason why.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    All of this SBR talk has me wondering 2 things

1. If a longer barrel increases muzzle velocity, range, and accuracy, why would one go short?

2. Why on earth is it illegal without special gov permission. (rhetorical, I know our gun laws make no sense)

I understand that a shorter weapon is better for clearing buildings, but there are pistol caliber carbines that are better suited to the task.

I guess I can understand people wanting them because they can have them, but I can't come up with any other reason why.

One of the things you want to consider is fragmentation. Also lower velocity isn't a bad thing when clearing a building. You don't want to over penetrate a target. As far as the pistol carbines, that's a question for the LEO guys that do SWAT. If you'll notice in recent years everyone is switching to carbines from MP5 type sub-machine guns. There is evidently an advantage.

http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/term_fragrange.html

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Also think about suppressor use. If you are doing CQB work inside of a building, entering doors and rounding corners and you have a 20" barrel with a 6-8" suppressor its going to be difficult.

Wheras a 9-12.5" barrel with a 8" suppressor is still shorter than a standard government profile A2 rifle. Even a 14.5" profiled barrel with the average 5.56 suppressor probably being 6.8" you are over 20" total.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Right, Like I said, I understand them being used for building clearing. So how many of you building SBRs are clearing buildings with them since that appears to be the only use mentioned so far?

Remember I'm not against anyone owning them, I dont' even understand why they are restricted. Why would I want one?

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Right, Like I said, I understand them being used for building clearing. So how many of you building SBRs are clearing buildings with them since that appears to be the only use mentioned so far?

Remember I'm not against anyone owning them, I dont' even understand why they are restricted. Why would I want one?

Self-defense. CQB in your own house if you have an intruder. Most people don't need a 20" government profiled barrel to shoot 100 yards, which is consistent with most of the range options we have.

And if you are shooting with a suppressor you don't suffer the consequences of the short barrel as much as without it.

Did I mention a 25" AR that will fit in a tennis case is cool?

Not as much of an effect on velocity as you would imagine. http://counterstrikefox.freeservers.com/mv.htm

There is also more damage from the bullet in its intended fragmentation range.

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge

I can shoot in any direction from my driver's seat with my 9.25" AR. With the suppressor attached I can quickly and efficiently clear my house. Best of all, I can toss the whole rig in a tennis bag for some real low key urban camouflage. After Gustav I kept it on my arm in the tennis bag 100% of the time until power was restored to my house (three weeks later).

The cool thing about an AR-15 SBR is you can make it any caliber you want. Shoot varmints or squirrels with .22LR? Yep. Turn it into a 9mm subgun? Yep. 12 gauge beltfed? Yep.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA

I would figure they are restricted, because as TDH mentions above, you can very easily conceal them, under a coat, in a tennis racket bag, etc...

why would you want one? well for the same above reasons, and the fact that they just look cool, chicks dig them, and if you don't have a SBR you will not stand a chance during the zombie invasion, regardless of how much training/ammo/non-NFA weapons you have ;)

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I would figure they are restricted, because as TDH mentions above, you can very easily conceal them, under a coat, in a tennis racket bag, etc...

why would you want one? well for the same above reasons, and the fact that they just look cool, chicks dig them, and if you don't have a SBR you will not stand a chance during the zombie invasion, regardless of how much training/ammo/non-NFA weapons you have ;)

You won't even need ammo. As soon as they see the intimidating weapon the zombies will turn and flee.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    It's all about a bullpup. :) I think the overall length of a 16" barrel AUG is 27 or 28 inches.

An MSAR or TPD AXR is high up on my wishlist :cool:

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    It's all about a bullpup. :) I think the overall length of a 16" barrel AUG is 27 or 28 inches.

An MSAR or TPD AXR is high up on my wishlist :cool:

Yeah they are nice, but all of the ones I've seen crack eventually. That's what turned me away from them.

I like the FS2000's too but keep turning my nose up at them.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Yeah they are nice, but all of the ones I've seen crack eventually. That's what turned me away from them.

I like the FS2000's too but keep turning my nose up at them.

Crack? Like, the stock?

Just from age or from drops or what?

I gas I haven't read up enough. . .

Top Bottom