Any Ivory experts?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    As part of an inheritance I have this "ivory" carving that the family stated was bought in the 40's or 50's. I actually forgot I had it and it has been safely tucked away in gunsafe for the last couple years. Any information would help as I have no use for it and prefer guns in my safe. Thanks in advance.
    4160f873d41eaaa5485f00c9e5c0a767.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    I've read up on everything to do with ivory over the last few days. Still not even sure that this is real ivory or which type of animal for that matter. I don't plan on getting rid of it or anything but all I have are family stories and I've seen a few pictures with this thing in the backround dated way before the laws and regulations were established. I am wondering if anyone here knows anyone in the lousiana area that is a SME on these things.

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    Couldn't tell you what it is for sure for all I know it could be plastic but the family stated it was bought overseas somewhere and has been in the family since around 40's or 50's. I haven't done any of those home tests to check if it will burn with a needle or smells funny. Not really a top priority right now

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You're pretty much stuck with it, given the new ivory laws, unless you have proof of where it came from and when you acquired it.

If it's not real, then you can just chunk it.

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    Oh yea like white on rice as they say. I still do not know if it is real or not I figured out of all the vast knowledge here at BS someone could point me in the right direction. At some point in the future I will look for all the paperwork and pictures and try to atleast get it certified or something so the kids down the road don't have to. Thanks for input everyone

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    Just going by the picture, It's not made from a Walrus tusk.

Walrus will have splinter's, That could very well be Elephant.
    I've been searching for similar carvings online and you may be right. One similar sold for a few thousand at auction so I'll probably put this back in the safe for awhile atleast until I can find an expert that can confirm and appraise for insurance purposes.

Top Bottom