Tent Camping

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    What are your top THREE favorite places to go tent camping not too terribly far (~<3 hours) from Baton Rouge? My friends and I are considering taking a day or two trip and camping somewhere and I am seeking recommendations. Go. :]

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    What are your top THREE favorite places to go tent camping not too terribly far (~<3 hours) from Baton Rouge? My friends and I are considering taking a day or two trip and camping somewhere and I am seeking recommendations. Go. :]

We camp at the Offroad park in Sicily Island. Cool Place to go even if you have someone with a basic 4x4 (side x side, 4 wheeler, Jeep, truck) to go out and camp, and ride the trails. Some of the stuff out there can be done with a stock 4x4 and you can camp anywhere.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    Up near Woodworth, Kisatchie National Forest, Wild Azalea Trail. Some of the primitive sites are right next to a parking area but still feel like the middle of the woods. Chicot state park has some pretty nice primitive sites as well.
    I don't have a third.

JCU

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    Kisatchie has tons of places to camp, and the wild azalea trail is a good one (You can camp anywhere along the trail as long as you are 20 feet from the center of the trail). Also in/around the kisatchie area are kincaid lake and valentine lake (Opposite side of the Azalea Trail from Woodworth). Both have recreation areas in that area with available campsites. There is also camping allowed at the WMA in Krotz Springs which includes a free gun range.

Pack and Paddle (an outdoors store in Laffayette) has good ideas of places to go on their website as well.http://packpaddle.com/where-to-go/

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Kisatchie

21739067008_afd899d90b_b.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! Keep 'em coming. We aren't sure if we are going or not yet, but now that we have a few more places to decide from, it looks good!

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Stewart Lake, one of the smaller developed sites in the Kisatchie National Forest. Located just North of Alexandria between Pollock and Bentley. Website at http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/kisatchie/recreation/recarea/?recid=34787&actid=29. Review at http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/trails-louisiana/trail/stuart-lake-trail/prd_168146_4551crx.aspx. Images at https://www.hipcamp.com/la/central-louisiana/kisatchie/stuart-lake-campground or just Google for "Stewart Lake Kisatchie" to see additional images of some typical campsites.

I have camped there but usually just bike out there (because we live so close) with the kids and explore, play on the bridge, fish, or swim in summer. We do a lot of picnicking at the day use area.

Last edited:

Danable

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Every year my friends and I canoe 55 miles of the Sabine River. Great scenery, very remote and lots of fun. Rarely do we ever see anyone.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    55 miles downstream ain't bad... 55 miles upstream? Well... You should join the USA Olympic team.

You still ain't got a clue, And that's ok!
    Don't get on that river if your not from there.
    Hell, I would go with Danable down the Sabine, But then again, I lived on it.

Danable

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    It's really not bad. If anyone does plan on doing it just one tip. Do not put in at the boat launch at the actual Toledo damn. Put in on the Texas side in the generator canal. The first year we made this mistake and had to put our canoes through drop offs and chutes. Idk the actual river terms for these but you get the picture. our canoes took on water and I was starting to regret the decision to make the trip. It turned out to be a great first trip. We plan to one day do from Toledo to I-10 which I heard is about 130 or 140 miles. I haven't researched that one yet.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    It's really not bad. If anyone does plan on doing it just one tip. Do not put in at the boat launch at the actual Toledo damn. Put in on the Texas side in the generator canal. The first year we made this mistake and had to put our canoes through drop offs and chutes. Idk the actual river terms for these but you get the picture. our canoes took on water and I was starting to regret the decision to make the trip. It turned out to be a great first trip. We plan to one day do from Toledo to I-10 which I heard is about 130 or 140 miles. I haven't researched that one yet.

I know the place your talking about, Brought my dog there several times to swim.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Kisatchie

21739067008_afd899d90b_b.jpg

We ended up going to Kisatchie, staying a night, then leaving in the morning when it was STORMING. All in all, fun trip! I saw some scorpions...didn't know we had those here!

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Our redneck oasis....Pass a Loutre WMA. Fresh and saltwater fishing, duck, deer, hog, rabbit hunting. Requires a boat and effort to get there. Of course, we don't go so primitive when we go and we feast pretty hard on some good eats. We fed the whole campsite Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights for the second split duck season opener. This weekend was the most I've seen at this one particular campsite....7 tents and a cuddy cabin housing 17 people total Friday and Saturday nights. This pic is our 3 tents for a group of 6 people. One guy is required to bring his own tent....that snoring guy...LOL.
    ecdb9365353219ea23df1f3203677f77.jpg

Most liberals seem to suffer from the same mental condition....it's called stupidity!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom