UPS Holiday Schedule Route?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have two packages en route: Gun Parts/Pew Pew Stuff & a designer handbag thing my wife wanted. The factory/warehouse/store, they shipped from, is entirely in two different cities. The cities aren't even close, but they are in the same state. Coincidentally (perhaps) they both shipped from the same origin facility and are taking the same route. This is the first time I've ever noticed something like that, but I wonder if it's something to do with the holiday schedule. I'm also assuming it is, because it's going waaayyyyy out of the way to get here.

Any of you guys know what's up with that?

OmahaOutdoors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2015
    Omaha Neb
    I've always had somewhat of a fascination about logistics, but I never quite figured this one out. I figure it is as you suggested; they have specific routes that are accepted as being better for this type of shipment. I would be interested in seeing if anyone else has insight though. Hope everything arrives on time for you.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    It's funny how the logistics thing works. I ordered some parts from California. I saw them get picked up and then they proceeded to go cross country to Georgia. Then from Georgia back to Baton Rouge and then to Lake Charles then to my house. I was like wow that was the long way around to get some packages. Seems inefficient to me but it made sense to someone.

Dave, depending on the state the carrier company may have one regional distribution center and that is where all the packages go to be distributed.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    It can get complicated, confusing, and seems to make no sense at times. Unless you are in the business like anything else it's a mystery. Just be glad when it shows up on time and in one piece. Hubs, centers, rail, air, feeder runs, jump service, hot loads. Lots of factors and options to get that box from point a to b.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It can get complicated, confusing, and seems to make no sense at times. Unless you are in the business like anything else it's a mystery. Just be glad when it shows up on time and in one piece. Hubs, centers, rail, air, feeder runs, jump service, hot loads. Lots of factors and options to get that box from point a to b.

I agree. It's actually a day early, since they dropped it off for the local PO to handle. I just find it odd that, even if it went from point a-b-c, it went from point a-b-c-d-e-f-g-h, then through another carrier, and it's still a day early? On any given day of the year, they can't ship something like they are supposed to :confused:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Probably went to Georgia Bc Atlanta has one of if not the busiest airports in America. More flights there means more opportunities for the shipment to make it to that city. Not unusual for my packages to go to Georgia or Dallas Fort Worth before it gets to me. Also tends to be the cities I usually have connecting flights in when I go out of town.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Think air travel. Hub system. It's how current air travel got the idea to work. Makes sense once you understand it only with many more arms on the small end.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Think air travel. Hub system. It's how current air travel got the idea to work. Makes sense once you understand it only with many more arms on the small end.

I suppose.

Funny story; my BCG came in today and she got excited thinking it was the handbag. I let her open it for me and she was not amused :mamoru:

Top Bottom