S E A L S Replacing Sig 226 With Glock 19.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    This past week the Naval Special Warfare Command made a decision to pick up the Glock 19 as the SEALs new sidearm. They will slowly begin to phase out the Sig P226, and replace those with the Glock 19. There is nothing wrong with the Sig P226. It has served the Teams for many years and is a proven reliable system. However, as firearms evolve the military needs to keep pace. In this case the move to the Glock 19 makes sense.

The Glock 19 has a lot to offer in a compact package, and is by far the most popular platform Glock makes. I personally use, and carry the Glock 17 on a daily basis. While the Glock 17 is the full size variant of the 9mm, the Glock 19 is essentially the same, just a bit smaller package. With that said I will give you my reasons for why I believe the Glock 19 will be a solid platform for both the SEALs, and MARSOC (who adopted the Glock 19 at the beginning of the year).

First and foremost what I have noticed with my personal Glock is the reliability. This is extremely important as you want the gun to work when you need it to. I’ve put enough rounds from various manufacturers to know it will cycle just about any ammunition. I recently went to the range and ran though 300 rounds of that dirty Wolf ammunition that is manufactured in Russia. Not once did the gun jam, malfunction, or need the bore snaked due to build-up (I attribute some of that to the Weapon Shield oil that I use). Reliability also comes in the form of maintaining your firearm. Glock makes maintenance on their handguns extremely easy whether you’re on the range, in the field, or at home. Even a detailed breakdown of the gun only requires a punch tool and can be accomplished by most people who use them. For the SEALs and MARSOC this is huge. Not only having a sidearm that is reliable, but also easy to maintain.

The second aspect I’ve noticed is the accuracy I get out of the Glock with stock parts. I’ve only upgraded two parts on my Glock: the sights, and the recoil spring. The stock sights on a Glock are absolute crap. I run with the Ameriglo sights red fiber optic front, and all black rear. When I go to my local range I have no issues pushing my target out to 25 yards and keeping a 5″ group (regardless of ammunition used). I’m more than confident in the Glock 19 and 17 to be accurate out to 25 yards, and being able to easily suppress targets out to 50 yards.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    Government equipment selection doesn't always reflect the best product.
    Military procurement is a strange business.
    I'm not saying the glock is better than the sig or vice versa, but with the government
    Contract details, availability, parts surplus, reliability, and lined pockets are a few factors of selection

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    This does not mean that every SEAL will carry it. It will be issued, but every SEAL will have the option to carry any handgun of choice. Some of them have carried Glocks and HKs and simply left the Mk25 in the weapons locker. One of the SEALs in the Bin Laden raid carried a HK USP 45 Compact instead of the SIG.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom