Semi auto shotgun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZSIB44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    BATON ROUGE
    Looking for a semi auto for hunting and a little sport shooting here and there. Really like the Beretta A400 but also considering a few benelli's as well as the franchi intensity. Really wanting some opinions on them. I've put my hands on a few and liked them all. This will be my first semi and hopefully will last me a long time. Any input is helpful, thanks

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I've been shopping Shotguns as well but we're probably looking at different price brackets from the looks of it. I shot a friend's A400 and it was absolutely great, cycled cheapest 2 3/4" shells we could find and 3" duck loads just fine.

I've shot one Benelli semi, I don't recall which one but for a semi auto gun it kicked like a mule.

I'm shopping either the A300 or the new Remington V3 once it actually starts showing up.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    a400 extreme all the way!!!! I have a couple buddys with the super vinci and sbe2, and the old extreema 2, every now and then we play around and switch up guns in the blind just to change it up a little, it is very obvious how much more felt recoil the benelli's have!!! I have had my a400 for prob 4 seasons, have used old rusty shotgun shells from the salt water or last year and have never had one hang up... don't believe I remember the benelli's hanging up either... but just because of the recoil diff. I would choose beretta all day long, watch some youtube videos, the a400 also claims to be the fastest semi on the market

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a Benelli SBE 2, a franchi, a Remington 1100 and a few pumps of different favors.

the franchi is the best shooter, the Benelli kicks hard but is tough (as long as the magazine tube nut stays tight) and my field gun. I would take a franchi or Benelli any day.

A

apps2

I would take a franchi or Benelli any day.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    I shot an A400 with a kick-off system at a sporting clays event several years back and said to myself, "This is the next auto loading shotgun I will buy." Granted, we were shooting low brass shells...but, it was so smooth, I didn't even notice the gun cycling the rounds...something I was accustomed to "feeling" shooting 1100's and A-5's.

Last year, had the opportunity to pick one up for a deal too good to pass up. It is one sweet shooter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    The A400 is good if you shoot alot of magnum loads as it is much better on recoil. The inertia drive guns like Benelli, franchi, and the a5 are probably going to be a little more forgiving as far as maintenance. For example..if you drop a inertia gun in the mud on the way to the blind the field serviceability should be much easier to maintain in comparison to the more complex gas operated guns. Also the physical weight of the inertia driven guns will be lighter. Just depends on recoil vs maintenance vs weight. Just a few factors to consider.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I have a Beretta 391 Xtrema with a kickoff that is a joy to shoot and reliable as the day is long.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I have a browning maxus. I love it. I had an extrema and extrema 2 but I prefer my maxus. Points well for me eats skeet loads to steel shot. No problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dad-e-o

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Ponchatoula
    B44,
    In my autos I. have Beretta 303's, 390's, a 391, and an A400. I also have an Benelli SBEII. I have had Remingtons, Franchis, and Brownings. I prefer the gas operated guns because of their weight, it helps with my follow-through. The Benelli, although a fine gun, seems like I am waving a broomstick it is so light.

For waterfowl I use a synthetic 390 with a wood 390 as backup. For clays I have the 391. For dove the A400 in 20ga. Quail, Pheasant, Grouse, Woodcock are all hunted with Browning Citori 16 or 28ga O/U's or a Remmie 870 410 bore.

Recoil operated guns shoot harder as most have noted here but are easier to keep clean. Gas ops shoot soft, swing well but need more intensive maintenance. Your choice. With the wide range of guns and prices I am sure you will find one that fits your needs, but remember, you get what you pay for.

Dad

assault

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2012
    feleciana's
    The Berreta A400 is very nice.... But limited to 2.75" and 3".... Remington has the Versamax Sportsman wich used 2.75" to 3.5".... I shoot a standard versamax and a waterfowl pro model.... I prefer gas operated (less recoil)...... But out of ur list, I'd go for the A400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    The A400 is good if you shoot alot of magnum loads as it is much better on recoil. The inertia drive guns like Benelli, franchi, and the a5 are probably going to be a little more forgiving as far as maintenance. For example..if you drop a inertia gun in the mud on the way to the blind the field serviceability should be much easier to maintain in comparison to the more complex gas operated guns. Also the physical weight of the inertia driven guns will be lighter. Just depends on recoil vs maintenance vs weight. Just a few factors to consider.
    Ditto! All great guns so it really boils down to the small design differences.

Dlaw2592

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2018
    Picayune
    I have a benelli Vinci and I bought it when they first came out. I've had this gun for almost 8 years and have been very hard on it. Ive used it as a boat paddle more times than I can count and duck hunt in saltwater for the last 8 years. The only problem I've had is just this year the butt pad dry rotted so I threw a 15 dollar slip on, on it. And I cant complain. I've gotten my money out of the gun for sure. Not downing beretta or any others but this thing has lasted and not malfunctioned through all of it

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Since this post came back from the dead, I'll update my suggestion from up top. I bought a Remington V3 and absolutely love it. It's eaten every 2.75 or 3" shell I've fed it, clean dirty, doesn't matter. If you don't have to have a 3.5" chamber, I highly recommend it.

My hunting buddy bought the same gun and loves it as well, so it's not just mine.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom