2016 Fitness Goals

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I figured I would start a 2016 Fitness goals thread since no one else started one.

My goal is to continue on the Stronglifts 5x5 workout with some slight variations until I can no longer add weight to the various exercises. I discovered this workout after a friend of mine, who happens to be a cancer survivor, told me about it: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ EDIT: My doctor also approved this workout! When I asked him why he didn't recommend it in the beginning, he said he shied away from recommending it because he was worried that I would get discouraged.

Thus far, I am liking it because I found that I made better gains in a shorter amount of time compared to exercising one body part per day and spending two hours in the gym every day. Basically, I spent the first 12 weeks doing the one body part per day thing, then the next 10 weeks doing the 5x5 thing. Oddly, since I started doing this, I noticed others in my gym jumped on the same routine because I have a harder time finding a free rack to use than I did back in July. :rofl:

As for the variations, I'm planning on adding things like curls, triceps extensions, chin ups, and dips to it on the various days. I already added weighted crunches to it.

Last edited:

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    I'll play.

My goals are to continue my path to better health and fitness. I started the first week of July last year at 255lbs. I began walking 4-6 days a week for 30 minutes. After 30 days of that I incorporated a kettle bell circuit after my walk/runs. I did a run/walk in .25 and .5 mile intervals. The KB circuit consisted of swings, 1 hand clean and press, dead lifts, squats, Russian twists and pushups with a 35lb KB. In September I started at the gym. I do a full body Dbell circuit Monday and Wednesday. On Tuesday and Thursday I do a combo of Squat, Dead lift, Clean and press, pull-ups and pushups. I do 12-18 minutes of cardio before and after every workout, usually split between the elliptical and the row machine. I also work core every day, mainly weighted cable crunches and tic-tocs or side sways with 45lb plates.

I'm down to 210 as of yesterday, about 4" of my waist and close to the same off my fat legs and ass. My goal is to hit 200 while continuing to improve my strength and conditioning. If I loose more, great but at 200 I'm happy.

And I'm with easterly..... the resolutioners have the gym all jammed up.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Mine is simple. Lose 15 pounds.

Slow weight gain due to that over 50 thing of your metabolism slowing down. Then I was sent for a 2 week training thing for my employer. Sitting in class all day with all the free snacks during breaks. Then laying around the hotel room. Then the free food at the hotel. I bloated up and felt like hammered dog poop. Stepped on the scale and freaked out. I had never been that heavy.

Guys at work turned me on to an app called My Fitness Pal. Free and put out by Under Armour. Plugging in your food intake is easy with a searchable database. Scan the barcode of your food and it drops that in. Credits for steps automatically dropped in from the fitness app that came with my iPhone 5.

It's working. I can already tell some of the blubber is gone. I feel better and have more energy.

That app has made me more aware of what I'm stuffing down my pie hole. Simple thing of skipping the fries at the fast food joint saves 400 calories.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Used to weigh in at 220#'s.
    Started eating healthy and less of course.
    Current weight 175#'s.

No gym yet, more routine of getting active!

Those that have met me and know me - Thanks for the thumbs up!

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Mine is simple. Lose 15 pounds.

Slow weight gain due to that over 50 thing of your metabolism slowing down. Then I was sent for a 2 week training thing for my employer. Sitting in class all day with all the free snacks during breaks. Then laying around the hotel room. Then the free food at the hotel. I bloated up and felt like hammered dog poop. Stepped on the scale and freaked out. I had never been that heavy.

Guys at work turned me on to an app called My Fitness Pal. Free and put out by Under Armour. Plugging in your food intake is easy with a searchable database. Scan the barcode of your food and it drops that in. Credits for steps automatically dropped in from the fitness app that came with my iPhone 5.

It's working. I can already tell some of the blubber is gone. I feel better and have more energy.

That app has made me more aware of what I'm stuffing down my pie hole. Simple thing of skipping the fries at the fast food joint saves 400 calories.

Samesies. 15# by my bday (March).

It's doable. I wish the people I work with were more into health. One even refuses to take the stairs (three floors mind you) because it causes her asthma to act up. I can't make any sense of it.

I'm cutting carbs and continuing my alcohol-free year. It's crazy what a year of sobriety can do for a person.

Protein shakes, baked chicken and broccoli are my BFFs.

West

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Baton Rouge, louisiana

What I've been on since September. Was at 243, Down 20lbs. Gained a little during winter but was expected. Started out all I could run was a 1/2 mile. Now I'm up to 7-8 miles at a time and about 20-30 miles a week. Haven't started any weights just yet, gonna drop about 15 more lbs then get on the weights. Just trying to be healthier than before. Loooooooot less carbs

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I figured I would post my results from consistently working out since July 03, 2015.

When I started:
    my waist was 43.5", now it hovers between 38.75" and 39.25". I would like to get it down to 36".
    my midsection (around the belly button) was 49" and now I have it between 43.5" and 44"
    my chest was 48" and now it is 45"
    my right arm was at 14" now it is at 16"
    my right thigh was at 21.75" and now it is at 25"
    My weight was 275 and now I am at 235. I would like to get down to 220 this year, and I am going to laugh at my doctor when he says that I should weigh 175 at 5' 11" with a rather large frame. Even at my absolute skinniest, 200 is the lowest I can go, and that will result in some muscle loss to get there.

Here is the crazy thing, I don't think my appearance has changed much, but one of my aunts who hasn't been around since 2013 freaked out when she saw me over the holidays. She said I looked younger too... Also, I didn't think that I would be able to make these kinds of gains at 43 years old, so I kind of surprised myself.

Now for my final goal. In 2013, I had to give up my Subaru WRX because my left knee was injured and would not heal. One doctor diagnosed me with Rheumatoid Arthritis and said I would NEVER be able to drive a manual transmission again. I am determined to prove him wrong! Oh, I did get a second opinion on the RA diagnosis only to find out that the Antinuclear Antibody test that doctor 1 used to say that I had RA was a false positive. I can't believe doctor 1 freaked me out so bad without performing a more extensive test that actually checks for things like RA and Lupus.

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    My plan for this year is to be more active.

I plan to start running on our treadmill again. I will start out at a fast walk and then when I am doing it for 45 minutes I will start adding jogging intervals. Usually start at 2 minute jigging intervals with 15 minutes fast walking pace between intervals. then every other day I add a minute to one jogging interval and decrease the fast walk interval so I keep it at 45 minutes total time until I am jogging for 45 minutes with 5 minute warm up and cool down.

I will also be doing the Spartacus workout which I found in an old Men's Fitness magazine. It is ten exercises total and you do each exercise for 40 seconds as many as you can do in that time frame while keeping proper form. then you rest for 20 seconds and then start the next exercise. then when you are done with the ten sets you rest for 2 minutes and start again. I did this before and got in pretty good shape before I stopped. The exercises are multi body part exercises and for most it is either body weight or kettlebell weighted. You get a very good workout with it especially the push up position row and squat thrust. if I can find a link to it I will post it so you can see what I am talking about.

I did cut out some of the squatting exercises because with running it was messing with my legs and I already have a surgically repaired ACL and did not want to stress it out.

Here is a good YouTube on the workout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mKhMCLN7s8

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Samesies. 15# by my bday (March).

It's doable. I wish the people I work with were more into health. One even refuses to take the stairs (three floors mind you) because it causes her asthma to act up. I can't make any sense of it.

I'm cutting carbs and continuing my alcohol-free year. It's crazy what a year of sobriety can do for a person.

You need to get on the renaissance periodization bandwagon. ;)

2016 fitness goals: Progress.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    No joke on the resolutioners. I have been doing some at-home stuff for now.

I am full time paramedic and full time nursing student, so I don't have much time to recover. Anything regarding muscle hypertrophy is probably going to be minimal for the next 18 months

What I CAN do however, is focus on keeping my caloric intake and marco counts to a certain level as well as focus on cardio. I have been watching my intake and doing some light indoor cardio for two weeks now (light for someone who does cardio, not like for me at the moment) and I have went from 192 to 184 in about ten days. Granted its the initial water weight loss, but my goal is sub-180 to my normal weight. I want to maintain a lean weight so I will remain a flight candidate when I get out of school, as well as a few other things

So I guess I can say: not become a fatass while in school.

dauc43

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    NOLA, BR, Lake Charles
    Been weightlifting for a while and "bulking" through the winter. Currently weigh in at 202 and would like to cut weight while retaining muscle mass down to 185-190.
    Keeping calorie intake around 2000-2500 but through lean meat, veggies, and healthy carbs for breakfast and lunch plus the daily protein shake.
    Have also increased my cardio routine. Previously I was only running a mile/ day. Im focused more on HIT now with rope / sprints / stairs.

Have also started a yoga routine (prepare for flame) to increase mobility, aid in muscle soreness, as well as test its claims to increase strength. Ive started 3x/ week routine and will report back in a month if anyone's interested.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Been weightlifting for a while and "bulking" through the winter. Currently weigh in at 202 and would like to cut weight while retaining muscle mass down to 185-190.
    Keeping calorie intake around 2000-2500 but through lean meat, veggies, and healthy carbs for breakfast and lunch plus the daily protein shake.
    Have also increased my cardio routine. Previously I was only running a mile/ day. Im focused more on HIT now with rope / sprints / stairs.

Have also started a yoga routine (prepare for flame) to increase mobility, aid in muscle soreness, as well as test its claims to increase strength. Ive started 3x/ week routine and will report back in a month if anyone's interested.

Even if the Yoga does not help with strength the flexibility benefits should be great.

mttkyle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    New Iberia
    Thanks for starting this. My goals actually began in November when I went for my pre-op release to have my achilles repaired. At that time I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Sugar and A1C was out of control, surgery postponed. One month later, sugar was maintaining below 100, A1C was at 6.4, had already lost 12 pounds while being in a cam walker and unable to excercise. Surgery completed in early December, out of cast and off crutches ahead of schedule, plan to be out of cam walker soon. Now weight is down 34 pounds. First time I have been under 300 in a long time. Long ways to go but still extremely motivated. Lightest I have ever been as an adult is 225 and plan to get back there. At 225, waist was down to a 36, now just under 300 and size 42 pants slide off without unbuttoning. Good luck everyone and keep up the good work!

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    I don't normally endorse the youtube gurus, but if you're looking for no nonsense, straight to the truth, and just good all around info; Check out AthleanX.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA

If you are up for some unsolicited advice, move your carbs to around your workouts. it's made a world of a difference for me as far as energy and recovery.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you are up for some unsolicited advice, move your carbs to around your workouts. it's made a world of a difference for me as far as energy and recovery.

My fitness goal is to be in better shape than this guy ^^ :mamoru:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom