gun trust notary

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Can any licensed notary notarize a gun/nfa trust?

I was just told over the phone, "we don't do that". In reference to having my trust notarized. I'm assuming it's a personal/political objection on the part of the notary but, wanted to be sure.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Can any licensed notary notarize a gun/nfa trust?

I was just told over the phone, "we don't do that". In reference to having my trust notarized. I'm assuming it's a personal/political objection on the part of the notary but, wanted to be sure.

I run into this every now and then- mostly around St. John Parish. It's silly. Just bring it to me and I'll notarize it for you.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I run into this every now and then- mostly around St. John Parish. It's silly. Just bring it to me and I'll notarize it for you.

Thanks for all your help Joey. You are true professional.

I was able to get it notarized. I did inquire and was told there could be some liability on the part of the notary if they were not the preparer. Some won't risk it. It was also their opinion that some won't notarize due to personal objection.

Anyways, just figured I'd share, thanks.

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I did inquire and was told there could be some liability on the part of the notary if they were not the preparer.

That makes no sense at all. It infers that they would be exempt from liability if they prepared the document. All they are supposed to be doing is certifying that the person who signs the document is who they say they are. The content is irrelevant.

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I went to the local Real estate attorneys office where I live and they notarized it with no issue. Some people.

Mouthpiece

Attorney
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    That makes no sense at all. It infers that they would be exempt from liability if they prepared the document. All they are supposed to be doing is certifying that the person who signs the document is who they say they are. The content is irrelevant.

This. I run into the same thing from time to time. Some folks just don't understand the law. I'm always happy to notarize trusts or CHP applications in the New Orleans area.

Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is
    My local bank notarized mine, as well as a lot of other documents over the years. Beyond making sure all the pages were there and I was who I said I was, there wasn't much too it.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Reviving an old thread because apparently this is still a thing...

I recently had a client bring his gun trust to a notary in Youngsville who gave him flack and refused to notarize the document. The reasons provided were absurd and do not warrant being repeated here.

If anyone has firearm related documents that they need notarized, contact me and I will handle it at no charge.

Armbruster Armory

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Lafayette
    I am happy to offer the same notary services Joey has offered, if you are in the Lafayette area and that is more convenient.

George @ Armbruster & Associates, APLC and Armbruster Armory, LLC

Another Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2020
    Mandeville LA
    I just had Geaux Title on Girod St in Mandeville notarize my CMP WWII 1911 pistol paperwork. $25 per signature, I only needed one signature, they did ask what it was for when I called in.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom