Deer along I-10

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've been living in Louisiana all of my life, and today was the first time I've seen this. I was driving back from Houston, time was about 7pm. And roughly 1.5 miles before exit 187 (gramercy), I saw at least a dozen deer on the side of the highway. At first it was a group of 6-7, I wasn't sure if I saw what I saw. Then 1/2 mile later there were another 4, then 2 then every so often 1.

I don't know if that's a common occurance since I spend most of my time in New Orleans. But I used to drive between New Orleans and Baton Rouge fairly often when in college.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    One ran into the side of our minivan about 5 years ago on I49 near Opelousas. Racked buck hit the passengers side door while I was driving in the left lane. Scratched and dented every panel on that side about $2400 damage.
    Another time I hit a doe that tried to cross in front of me driving around the farm.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Around dusk, between Port Allen and Grosse Tete, you will almost always see 3 - 6 of them on the shoulder

And after dark, MANY more!

Most liberals seem to suffer from the same mental condition....it's called stupidity!

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    All the time.

I drive back and forth between BR/LAF and BR/NO pretty regularly and usually after 11pm. They're more prevalent between the MSRB and the basin but I seen them pretty regularly between BR and Gonzo too. Then again between the "fake spillway" and the real spillway.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    There is not much food left in the woods this time of the year. The clover has started growing on the shoulder, and they are eating it. Never heard about the heat of the highway.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I didn't realize it was that common. If it's a winter thing, it makes since. Bc usually thanksgiving and Christmas is with my family. And usually go to Br to visit my wife's family in the warmer months

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I always thought it was odd that people bought oats, wheat, and the designer food plot stuff when all you really need to do is throw out some asphalt.

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    I can't say that I have seen any deer along I-10 and I have been traveling between Kenner and B.R. everyday for the past 4 years, Now I see Gator, Raccoons, Armadillo and Opossum at least a couple time a week.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I see them frequently just East of the basin bridge on the way to Baton Rouge early in the mornings.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    They are pretty common along I-10 around Sorrento. More so when rains flood the swamp and forces them to higher ground to feed. A few years ago I must have seen a couple of dozen on one trip just before dusk.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    City folk.

I-20 from the river to Tallulah always has deer.

But they are even worse on US Hwy 65 between Tallulah and Transylvania.

These pictures are about 5 miles south of Transylvania right on the highway.

And zoomed in to see the quality of the deer.

Yesterday about 5:00 pm there were at least 100 deer in the field.
    And no I don't get to hunt anywhere near these deer. :wtc:

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    When working in Casper, Wyoming about ten years ago, I was driving through a residential neighborhood and thought I spied life sized lawn ornaments on someone's front yard. Not artificial, it was a group of about six live mule deer, some bedded down. It was a sight to behold!

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I've been seeing a lot on other roads. I saw a nice buck someone hit and killed on Range just down from Bass Pro Blvd. in Denham Springs about a week ago.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There is not much food left in the woods this time of the year. The clover has started growing on the shoulder, and they are eating it. Never heard about the heat of the highway.

This!

Probably due to high water.

And some of this!

Remember, we have had near record rains this fall/winter, the Mississippi is at flood stage, the spillway is open, that entire swamp is connected/affected by the Amite/Comite tributary, Lake Maurepas borders it to the northeast, and yes; the food source is drying up. The rut is over, the does have been bred (except those that will get raped on that late rut - Usually beginning to mid-February for those deer). All of these factors are contributing. The winter grasses and yes, clovers are abundant on the right of way! They are hungry!

If you run N.O. to B.R. enough years and at night, you will see them more often in wetter years than not. Aside from that, much of that swamp has been taken under management from Wildlife and Fisheries as a Mgt. Area. And, it is illegal to park on the right of way on the I-10 to enter that swamp (both for the Mgt. Area and private land). The end result is less pressure and bigger deer populations.

Now, if you think you are going to shoot one of them at night while you are driving, you are in for a surprise! They don't even blink as car after car passes them at 70mph, but if you want to see how well trained they are, try slowing down or stopping by them (like you were getting ready to take a shot), and watch how fast they haul ass! ;)

Top Bottom