Recipe for Deer backstrap ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Looking for suggestions OTHER THAN frying or stuffed with jalapenos . What about a crock pot ? Anybody do that ?

Depending on the age of the deer the backstrap may be tender enough to grill as steak. My favorite way to eat deer meat other than sausage or as hamberger meat is in a stew with onions and peppers served over rice. Depending on what you like it could have anything from carrots to tomatoes in it.
    Sorry I dont follow recipes too well so I normally just wing it when I'm cooking.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Not a crock pot for back strap! That's a waste unless you have plenty. If you want something along those lines, strip the strap into small pieces and make a stroganoff type dish.

Other than what you already mentioned, I think grilling them over a pit is an excellent choice also. Medium rare! If you want to jazz it up a bit, make a nice red wine sauce from a demi-glace.

If, as WB said, it is from a large or older deer, marinating it to tenderize it may be in order. However, marinating usually masks the flavor of the venison. If you can just get a kind of meat tenderizer that has the long needles, that is the way to go. After all, why eat venison if you don't want to taste it! Go buy a cubed steak instead, same ****! ;)

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I always eat at least some of it as soon as I dress out the deer as kind of a celebration. Usually at camp so good to keep it simple with few ingredients. Marinate in orange juice and garlic powder. Poke small slits with a filet knife and stuff each with a sliver of garlic. Salt and pepper generously. Put on a HOT grill and just sear on all sides. If you let it overcook for even a second it will turn too tough to eat. Let rest and slice into medallions. Throw some new potatos, onions, etc. on the grill and you got a slap yo mama meal in the woods.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453230188.907860.jpg

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Don't over think it with back strap. Lightly season then grill it like a steak. Anything else is a waste. Safe roasts and rib meat for the crock pot.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Other than what has already been mentioned we recently tried cutting it into 4" strips about 3/8" wide. Marinatted in allegro and cooked down in a skillet with taco seasoning. Makes awesome tacos and burrito's ! You can also use the tenderlion from inside the back of the deer also. The key is do not over cook it as deer meat is very lean. Also be sure to clean the talo and any membrane from the meat.

Last edited:

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Don't know the exact recipe, but one of my buddies marinated it in some kind of chipoltle' sauce then slow grilled it, my god was it good!

Top Bottom