Starter Recurve

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    So, I want to get started in archery and I want to go the recurve route. I don't want to mess with compounds yet and start learning instinctive shooting. I have very limited archery experience and I want to know what's the best recurve bow to use without spending a fortune. I've seen "starter" adult recurves from $100 - $200. Any suggestions?

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    If you want expert advice stop by Chags on Vets in Metairie, See Sammy, he also has some recurves in the store.

rasputin

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Plaquemine
    Best bet is to find a used Bear Kodiak Hunter. You can find decent deals all day on Ebay. That's what I started with years ago. Just make sure the limbs aren't warped or cracked. Also, keep the draw weight low.... no sense in developing bad form because you're struggling to get to your anchor point.

Last edited:

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I have an old 80s Bear Kodiak compound that feels more like a recurve than a compound. There's no let off. I think it's drawing at around 45lbs. I need to lower that by 10lbs because of my bursitis until I get used to drawing a bow on a regular basis. Only problem is, I'm having trouble finding a cable guide for the bow.

buckedup

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Tylertown Ms.
    Check out the Samick sage or Polaris. With the ability to switch limbs you can start on the light side with a set of 35 or 40 pound limbs to get your technique down and work up to heavier limbs if you need them in the future. Start close say 5 to 10 yards. Once your grouping in the 3 inch range add 5 yards until you reach the range you desire. It takes time but definitely a fun past time.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    You probably can find a cheap compound bow at a pawnshop which will have more let off and can adjust the pull weight down. Bows that are 5-10years old can be bought cheaply for less than $100. Everybody has to buy the newest and greatest bow that shoots 30fps faster than last year's model. You can still learn to shoot instinctively with a compound. Just don't put sights on it or take them off. I'd maybe have the string replaced.

Top Bottom