Any HDTV outdoor antenna users in Ascension??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Looking to get away from cable or satellite and just go with what I can get over the air waves and stream Netflix and Hulu to the smart TVs. I live in the Galvez area and am hoping somebody can tell me what type of antenna he/she uses and how many channels they are getting. Really don't want anything that I have to use a rotor for, meaning omni-directional type. I have looked at the transmitting antenna locations for the BR area and have determined that I have a 54 degree cone to cover all of them in the BR market. That being said I'm not opposed to having a fixed directional that will stay stationary and get the coverage I need. Any help appreciated!!! These damn cable bills are getting expensive for not watching much tv.

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    I've got one of these in my attic:RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_1IdRwbNF68NQC
    I've had it for 2-1/2 years. I'm in Jefferson not Ascension, I get about 30 stations total OTA. If you've got a real wide spread you can hook up multiple antenna to one coax hub and they'll get a good signal. Or fab a multi directional antenna from scratch. It's not hard and works well.

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    I'm in St James and will be getting rid of Cox tv as soon as my year contract is up. I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime for movies and tv series and we usually watch that.

I've heard good things about the Leaf antenna and a buddy uses this in the Lakeview area without issues. Mohu Leaf 50 Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSMK59E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_mLlRwbYF584H2

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    Check out antennaweb.org, and tvfool.

They'll help determine what you need, and where to point it.

I have an outdoor antenna in my attic, and pick up 30 or so channels from NOLA. I've got Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix for everything else.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I cut the cable!!! I live in French settlement, I bought one from target for about $40, claims 40 miles, I can get an average of 13 channels facing Baton Rouge and 30 I'd i face it towards New Orleans but not to keen with New Orleans channels so we keep it facing Br, I was paying prob $190 a month for cable I was only watching 5-6 hours a week, that's horse crap!!! I need to get a better outdoor one but they are well worth it

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I have a metal roof so it won't work in the attic. Will have to be outdoors for sure and probably 30 feet high to get over the roofs on the house. Will check out those sites Kenny..Thanks all and keep them coming!! Have read about the leaf and have a niece in Slidell who uses one and says it works for her but pretty sure it will not work here. Have tried an indoor one and cannot get crap.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I have a marine outdoor antenna will pick up just a few ch's but it is OLD! analog not digital HD, tried the one you can get from wally world "RCA" pita and would not get any more turned it back and put the marine antenna back up as it is just a backup to directTV it is all I need

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I have a marine outdoor antenna will pick up just a few ch's but it is OLD! analog not digital HD, tried the one you can get from wally world "RCA" pita and would not get any more turned it back and put the marine antenna back up as it is just a backup to directTV it is all I need

Don't believe the marketing hype about so-called "digital" antennas. Most of the OTA broadcasts in Louisiana are in the VHF/UHF frequency ranges that a 20 year old antenna can still pick up. The antenna doesn't care if the signal it's receiving is digital or analog. It just cares that it's in the frequency range that it is capable of receiving.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Don't believe the marketing hype about so-called "digital" antennas. Most of the OTA broadcasts in Louisiana are in the VHF/UHF frequency ranges that a 20 year old antenna can still pick up. The antenna doesn't care if the signal it's receiving is digital or analog. It just cares that it's in the frequency range that it is capable of receiving.

I have about a 30 year old ant that my neighbor was throwing away. I just don't tell it that it's receiving a digital signal

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Yes Nolaradio you are correct and as mentioned above, an old one will work. The antennas are dumb and are only looking for signals in the frequency range they are made for. I took a smaller tv out to my shop where I have an omni-directional scanner antenna that is up in the air maybe 20 feet and got most of the channels but for some reason couldn't get the MeTV or GeTV signals.The rest came in better than expected though. Really like the Lava antenna model 8080 if I remember right. Saw it on the TVfool site and is omni-directional. One thing I find amazing is that damn near all of the antennas do not show a reception pattern when looking at the directionals like when shopping for HAM or CB antennas. That would really help in making a decision antenna wise.

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    Good news is that most HDTV signals are UHF, so a large unidirectional antenna, is only about half the size as a conventional analog antenna.

I went with a Winegard, and I'm very pleased.

Use the CEA color chart, and I believe most antennas list how wide of a arc (i.e. 20*) they will cover.

I averaged the azimuth, and set mine at 190*, and pick up stations that are 180*-210* with a unidirectional.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom