Crazy bayou shooter gun prices.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    So I've been gone for a little while from the forums, but good Lord the prices for the individual classifieds have some crazy asking prices. I have of course seen a few that are right in value estimates, but most are asking new prices with others that are asking 30 cheaper than high retail on a very used gun. Just the other day here I saw someone asking $350 for a used gun, that only had a value of $200 NIB shipped to ffl. It's crazy when you can go to Academy, purchase the same guns new and it's cheaper than folks here are asking for used "ultra ultra ultra low round count guns". I do see why the classified reply's had to be closed with the bickering but hell, it seemed to keep everyone in check for price gouging and over inflated values on firearms. In fact, I see less the quantity of actual guns listed for sale than months back. It could be people are holding on to the guns due to the "el presidente" factor or maybe due to the insane asking prices people are no longer viewing the selection as often. I myself have sold and purchased quite a few guns and had many great deals on both fronts in the past. Does anyone else see the same pattern?

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I always assume that such inflated prices reflect the fact that the seller anticipates a significantly lower offer. Therefore the counter offer more accurately reflects the true value.

ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    I do see your point there, but at such inflated prices perhaps they are either delirious or negating a possible sale by doing that at such a high rate. Apparently from the few I have dealt with last week, they are also unwilling to accept a decent offer or even come off of such a crazy listing price.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I concur with the Op., one was posted above new retail in the handgun classifieds yesterday.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    The stuff I've looked at has either been too high or I can't legally purchase. Ive seen some good deals on sbr uppers/ pistol uppers but that has really been it.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Dont be offended if your offer is rejected. You can find a better deal if you shop around. Take advantage of the free market.

ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    Not offended at all. Free market and anyone can ask any price on their item. I am just pointing out my experience with the bayou shooter personal classifieds section.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    So I've been gone for a little while from the forums, but good Lord the prices for the individual classifieds have some crazy asking prices. I have of course seen a few that are right in value estimates, but most are asking new prices with others that are asking 30 cheaper than high retail on a very used gun. Just the other day here I saw someone asking $350 for a used gun, that only had a value of $200 NIB shipped to ffl. It's crazy when you can go to Academy, purchase the same guns new and it's cheaper than folks here are asking for used "ultra ultra ultra low round count guns". I do see why the classified reply's had to be closed with the bickering but hell, it seemed to keep everyone in check for price gouging and over inflated values on firearms. In fact, I see less the quantity of actual guns listed for sale than months back. It could be people are holding on to the guns due to the "el presidente" factor or maybe due to the insane asking prices people are no longer viewing the selection as often. I myself have sold and purchased quite a few guns and had many great deals on both fronts in the past. Does anyone else see the same pattern?

Some inflate the price because of all the low ball offers.

The classifieds here suck now. Have for a long time. There should be a common respect that if you don't like the price of something listed you just pass on it. Not trash the seller's post. We are all supposed to be adults here. I think the fact that we cant communicate with the sellers directly on the thread has really brought the classifieds here way down.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.

The classifieds here suck now. Have for a long time. There should be a common respect that if you don't like the price of something listed you just pass on it. Not trash the seller's post. We are all supposed to be adults here. I think the fact that we cant communicate with the sellers directly on the thread has really brought the classifieds here way down.
    Its not just here it is everywhere used guns are sold. Just look around.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie

+1

I think the mods got tired of having to review the classifieds ads.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Yea I'm guilty of not answering pm'a as fast as I should, but with shift work, and 3 kids life gets really busy lol,but if others could comment on an add with say a question, it would prob be the same questions of sombody else later on ... One thing I have been seeing is a lot of wts adds without a pic or price, unless the mods have changed I thought that was required for a wts but not a wtt, I remember several years ago a add didn't last 15mins is it wasn't up to spec, I have seen adds bumped 5-6 times without the required info, unless that has changed that is...

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I agree with the Op., also. The sellers with reasonable prices are definitely a minority. I usually buy from other sources.

I always chalked it up to the sellers being gun guys who look at their stuff in a different light, and the fact that its an expensive hobby where some try to buy low and sell high to reduce the cost.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Yea I'm guilty of not answering pm'a as fast as I should, but with shift work, and 3 kids life gets really busy lol,but if others could comment on an add with say a question, it would prob be the same questions of sombody else later on ... One thing I have been seeing is a lot of wts adds without a pic or price, unless the mods have changed I thought that was required for a wts but not a wtt, I remember several years ago a add didn't last 15mins is it wasn't up to spec, I have seen adds bumped 5-6 times without the required info, unless that has changed that is...

Heck I even remember mods banning people and/or making shame of the people who broke the rules several times lol,

ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    I definitely do recall that. I too have seen quite a few bumping incorrect or incomplete posts for days even weeks at a time with no recourse or removal.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    it also seems a bit weird to me that there are a couple folks from out of state with ads on here that has been up for months and a lot of them from the same individual. not really seeing that person contribute other than bumping the FS threads every couple days.

One of the functions of this board is connected people in LA.... sooooo how would it be relevant to buy a used gun from oklahoma?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Remember this rule of thumb in sales; "You can't control your competitors prices!" This can apply to selling personal items as well. And that includes whether they are too high. You don't know what he/she needs to make to cover their overhead! Or their needs, even. Aside from those who may just be ignorant about market prices on guns per se, there are a myriad of reasons for varying pricing. Some people don't really need to sell a gun, but will if someone offers to pay them what they are asking. Even if that price seems silly to other gun people who are more market knowledgeable. Conversely, some people don't care that they can go to Academy, for example, to buy a new gun cheaper. You just don't know.

It almost seems that those folks that complain about prices being too high are just mad that paying that price upsets their plans; or have an ulterior motive anyway.

The downside of high pricing is if it stigmatizes the place of business or in this case, this forum; as being a waste of time to shop on. But that's on them and doesn't hurt any private individual, so why even care?!?

Some people just like to barter! But unless you ask, you'll never know. So in the end, if you are perusing the classifieds and you stumble across a person asking a ridiculous price for a lesser "market" valued gun, just shake your head and move on!

ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    I also keep seeing the guy from Oklahoma.. Out of state sales should not be allowed and were not seen back then. I have also seen quite a few dealers selling through the classifieds as well. Quite a while back ago this would have resulted in a butt chewing and recurrent posts would get someone banned. Times are changing I suppose.

Bwalken

Foot clutch hand shift
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    New orleans
    I hate seeing a gun that I would like to buy or let's just say "Bulgarian waffle mags" and it turns out the seller doesn't live in Lousiana. Can we vote them off the island?

ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    I was inquiring whether others have seen this and apparently I am not alone. When nearly everyone listing items are marking up such a huge premium, it then becomes a problem for the site as well as those who visit it. This affects the site, as well as the individuals using it as a great place to exchange firearms at a decent price. When this stops becoming a simple head shaking occasion and becomes the norm, it should be addressed before it loses visitors and regular members. Of course people like to barter, but when going on a gun enthusiast site that contains a classified section, the sellers should at least look around for the going rate of a gun they are selling. We are not talking about a small difference in pricing here. We are referring to a huge markup of sometimes $20+ of new on very used item.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom