Any tech savvy brothers in the house ?????

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    We are having problems with our router and wifi, I think. The equipment is set up in my sons room as he games in between shotput and football practice which means mostly at night. When he is gaming it is always very hard to connect to the Internet with our phones and iPads, but I kinda understand this because he is hogging up all the band width (if that is the correct terminology). The days that get me though are days like today that he is not here, his computer and Xbox aren't on and we cannot connect to ****. The signal on my iPad says I have a strong signal but it cannot connect. We had cox come out and check things twice and it's not their problem so I'm assuming I may need to upgrade my router and wifi. Can anyone suggest some good equipment to help solve my problem. Another option would be for me to pay someone to fix the problem which I may be willing to do. Help me obi-wan kenobi !

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Each router can only connect to so many devices. Whatever you get next make sure it can connect to the amount of devices you need it to.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    We had a similar problem -- but we were on the "wimpy" plan with only 10MB/sec speed -- upgraded to 50MB/sec and we are good -- cost about $15 more a month but a remarkable difference. Maybe your equipment is fine and you bandwidth is the problem??????

What COX plan do you have and what equipment are you using? Before the plan switch I upgraded my old Belkin 54G router to a TPLink Archer C7 that is doing very well. My Motorola Modem SB6121 seems to be doing fine as well.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    We pay more for the high speed also. When it connect it is blazing fast. I'll look at getting a new router And making it more centrally located. I think that is some of the problem as it is in my sons room.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    We pay more for the high speed also. When it connect it is blazing fast. I'll look at getting a new router And making it more centrally located. I think that is some of the problem as it is in my sons room.
    Put the router as centrally located in the house as possible and the higher up the wall, the better. You can also try changing the wifi channel from default to one of the non overlapping channels (either 1, 6 or 11) to see if there is a signal interference issue.

I have this one;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...router&qid=1456018366&ref_=sr_1_3&s=pc&sr=1-3

It works quite well.

If you are on more of a budget, I have one of these as well and don't have any complaints;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...router&qid=1456018366&ref_=sr_1_8&s=pc&sr=1-8

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm using the router/modem combo that cox supplies (I have their phone service so it goes through that also), and also up pay for the fast service, but I will have times where my devices either cannot connect, or will show strong connectivity, but doesn't actually surf the net. Unplugging the plugging in the modem fixes this issue. It's to the point I think I'm going to call them and ask if I can use my own modem and router since I think theirs is defective (I'm on the second one).

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Bee,

I had trouble with this exact same thing. Eatel is my provider. I have been through it all with this wi-fi crap. As soon as they went to HD boxes that were dual role (hard wired/wi-fi), everything went down hill at my house. Even the cable channels. So much so, that Eatel came out and dug up the original fiber optic cable and re positioned it on the other side of my house. They eventually gave me 6 months of service completely free because of the continued problem. But that did not solve the problem. And quite frankly, they didn't know what answer was.

After 5 or 6 technicians and 2 supervisors, I did what I should have done all along. Took my expertise and solved the problem myself. I, like Spanky, just upgraded their router with the addition of my own (as a repeater, if you will).

I went with this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...lack/9241038.p?id=1219701748142&skuId=9241038

Now, before you say; "Why does the customer have to pay for this? Shouldn't it work from my provider?" The answer is yes! The reality is, they couldn't fix it through their own capabilities, and if I had to come home one more night and hear my wife and kids complain about their connections I would eventually be imprisoned for killing them all! :D

As Spanky also suggested, I centrally located that new adapter; and I am telling you without question, my family is now safe! ;)

As a side note, carefully try the new adapter of your choice; if it does not work to a T, then re-package it and try a different one. Whichever you try, should have a least a Gigabit Ethernet standard going in!

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    OP looks like you have some good answers here. Emperor gave you a good router choice. The higher the AC class now the better the Wifi signal. I am a pseudo networking guy so when we built our house I installed a bunch of CAT5e cabling in my walls so that I made sure I had a good connection as my job is 100% online all the time. I do have around 10 wireless devices as well at the moment and it killed my old router. It doesn't sound like you are having a signal strength issue it could just be that your existing router is unable to handle a lot of connections. Also make sure you secure your wireless router I don't know how many wireless networks I have seen where people leave it open with no authentication. This is so bad.... Also make use of the guest network feature and when people come over give them the guest network password so you don't have to reset your main network password. I will get off now as my security side is taking over and don't want to bore you guys.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    OP looks like you have some good answers here. Emperor gave you a good router choice. The higher the AC class now the better the Wifi signal. I am a pseudo networking guy so when we built our house I installed a bunch of CAT5e cabling in my walls so that I made sure I had a good connection as my job is 100% online all the time. I do have around 10 wireless devices as well at the moment and it killed my old router. It doesn't sound like you are having a signal strength issue it could just be that your existing router is unable to handle a lot of connections. Also make sure you secure your wireless router I don't know how many wireless networks I have seen where people leave it open with no authentication. This is so bad.... Also make use of the guest network feature and when people come over give them the guest network password so you don't have to reset your main network password. I will get off now as my security side is taking over and don't want to bore you guys.

Nothing boring about "good sense" security! Unless, you don't know or worse, don't care what the pitfalls can be! ;)

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I think it's my router. For some reason it started working again after having no connectivity ( right term ?) all last weekend. I do have it secured so that makes me feel better. Thanks for all the responses.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I am a pseudo networking guy so when we built our house I installed a bunch of CAT5e cabling in my walls so that I made sure I had a good connection as my job is 100% online all the time.

What shrxfn is saying is to hard wire your sons game console to the router w/ CAT5/6 so he won't suck up the shared bandwidth of the WIFI. New router recommendations are also solid. I have the router on the 2nd floor of 2300 sqft house w/ no problems accessing. I also have my son's game console hard wired to the router. Good thing is my son and daughter are both in college so I don't have any problems...just another option to consider...getting them out of the house. ;-)

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I had similar issues with the new Cisco DOCSYS router, as it was far from my living room. So I took my old Netgear router (from pre-HD days), ran a hardline to the living room, and now use the Netgear as a repeater. Works great.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    It could of been all your neighbors using the internet on your dime if it happens on the weekend.
    I think it's my router. For some reason it started working again after having no connectivity ( right term ?) all last weekend. I do have it secured so that makes me feel better. Thanks for all the responses.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    A new router would not hurt but you can also reboot them when you have issues. Just unplug the power wait 30 seconds and plug it back in. I have connectivity issues sometimes and rebooting it sometimes helps.

I can tell you that some older routers were not made to handle a ton of WiFi connections. Once we start getting a bunch of connected devices in our house I had to upgrade to a newer one. Not having issues yet but am thinking about getting a AC2000 or higher class router.

The other nice thing about the guest network is that I have all of the kids devices on that network so that if it needs to be shutdown because they are being punished with no internet then it does not affect my connectivity. We also get a lot of friends from school over all the time and they want to connect so I put them on the guest network and then change the password every few months.

Top Bottom