Who Has Successfully Used a MS Word Password Revovery Tool? (UPDATE)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I need to break a password on a 2007 Word document I own on my computer running on Windows 7.

I have tried a free version from PCWorld but it gave up after 6 hours of a brute force attack at 6 characters. It is probably time for me to use the method that removes the line of code that represents the password.

My question: Have any of you guys tried any of those methods, and or have a preference as to which method works best?

Thanks!

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Is it read-only or what? I have a program that might be able to get past it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    I've done the code editing approach on an excel file for work. It took me about 5 minutes. Most important thing is to do it to a backup, not the original, in case you Bork it.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I've done the code editing approach on an excel file for work. It took me about 5 minutes. Most important thing is to do it to a backup, not the original, in case you Bork it.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

I have a few options on the table, but this approach is more private and the method I would prefer. Here is my dilemma: I tried to open the file as an HTML in notepad, but the code was still encrypted?!? I could not see the password line of course. What program did you open your Excel doc with to see the line of codes?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Since many of these inquisitive threads die without any resolution or finality, I figured I would update my progress with a locked MS Word document.

Last week I was referred to a computer guru (and fellow gun guy), by a mutual friend. Sent him an email and he went out of his way to try to help. We tried a few things, including downloading a free a HEX editor (which lets you change code, and theoretically lets you remove password protections). Though this did not work because of update patches that enhanced old version of Word's security.

Of course I tried a "free version" of a password un-locker to no avail, and because the document was well worth the money, I went ahead an bought a licensed version of Daossoft Office Password Rescuer and it worked like a charm! $25.00 and 3 hours and 30 minutes later, that software revealed the exact password I used.

It is nice when things actually work!

Now, if this thing can unlock passwords like that, imagine what technology is out there to allow criminals and governments to do it? :eek3:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Emp, when I was first stating out in IT at school we had a floppy disk that you would insert and it had code on it that would allow you to change the admin password on a windows PC. I think it was able to get into the registry and overwrite the key. But my path has taken me a different way than general IT so I have not kept up on that stuff too much anymore.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Emp, when I was first stating out in IT at school we had a floppy disk that you would insert and it had code on it that would allow you to change the admin password on a windows PC. I think it was able to get into the registry and overwrite the key. But my path has taken me a different way than general IT so I have not kept up on that stuff too much anymore.

When I was in highschool I had a USB drive that had a linux operations system on it. I could boot up the computer with the flash drive acting as the OS (basically) and then edit anything on the Windows PC. We used XP or Vista at the time. XP was super duper easy to get past. Vista was a little tougher, but doable. I don't know how the new 8 or 10 hodl up security wise, but I'd be willing to bet that anyone with physical access to the computer could get into it if they really wanted to.

*Disclaimer: I had full, written permission from the school to conduct security tests on certain computers in the computer lab. No illegal activity was done. I did find and lead them to fix quite a few simple problems.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I had a password cracker that worked with Word and Excel years ago, but I couldn't find the CD I put it on. I'm sure I still have it and when I do find it I'll test it on Word 2013 and 2016 and see if it still works. I know I used it on Word 2007 before. Back then all the hackers shared programs, now everyone wants money. Miss the old days.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I had a password cracker that worked with Word and Excel years ago, but I couldn't find the CD I put it on. I'm sure I still have it and when I do find it I'll test it on Word 2013 and 2016 and see if it still works. I know I used it on Word 2007 before. Back then all the hackers shared programs, now everyone wants money. Miss the old days.

I highly doubt it works. The new encryption is actual encryption and is a lot different than the old ways.

Top Bottom