I need more info

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitewater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    Slidell, La.
    I recently took my required CCW class, NRA Basic Handgun . Not only was the class very, very basic for a lifelong hunter/shooter but the course gave very little info on when or where one should / could use lethal force. Nor was any info given about what to realistically expect after the fact. Are there local classes on the Northshore that delve deeply into these issues?

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    If you took a CHP course that didn't cover said subjects, you got ripped off.

Actually no. If the course was the NRA Basic Pistol Course, which it sounds like it was, then those topics are not covered in that course, even though it is a legally approved course to get your CHP. You would want to take a course from an instructor that teaches the 9-hour format that LSP approves. Not sure where you are located, but Bearco, St Bernard Indoor Range, Shooter's Club, and several other member's here teach that kind of course.

Bearco, if he is in your area, is highly recommended.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Much better course at St Bernard Indoor Shooting Center . You might also look into NOLA Home Defense Foundation http://www.hdfnola.org/index.html. NOLA HDF meets on the first Tuesday of every month. Not on the North Shore but worth your time.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Actually no. If the course was the NRA Basic Pistol Course, which it sounds like it was, then those topics are not covered in that course, even though it is a legally approved course to get your CHP. You would want to take a course from an instructor that teaches the 9-hour format that LSP approves. Not sure where you are located, but Bearco, St Bernard Indoor Range, Shooter's Club, and several other member's here teach that kind of course.

Bearco, if he is in your area, is highly recommended.

"I recently took my required CCW class".

As far as I know a basic pistol class isn't required for conceal carry. I was basing my comment off of that.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    "I recently took my required CCW class".

As far as I know a basic pistol class isn't required for conceal carry. I was basing my comment off of that.

Well if that is as far as you know, how would you know he got ripped off? Just asking.

CCW course is actually CHP course. You can read the law where it specifically lists the various "types" of classes that are approved to be used as proof of training to apply for the CHP. The NRA Basic Pistol Course is by far the most common. Obviously, as an NRA sanctioned course, it must follow the NRA guidelines, and none of the info the OP saw missing is included in that particular curriculumn by design. i agree with the other posters and the OP, that the info he saw lacking is some of the most important. That is why a lot of instructors have chosen to go to the 9-hour format rather than the normal NRA course.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I recently took my required CCW class, NRA Basic Handgun . Not only was the class very, very basic for a lifelong hunter/shooter but the course gave very little info on when or where one should / could use lethal force. Nor was any info given about what to realistically expect after the fact. Are there local classes on the Northshore that delve deeply into these issues?

Was this CCW person on our Louisiana State Police Concealed Handgun Permit list? What was the instructor's name?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    OP, if you are looking for someone to definitively tell when you are allowed to defend yourself by killing another human being (and whether that person is a scumbag or not), you are wasting your time.

However, if you sincerely want some advice for peace of mind I would suggest you thoroughly read all the Louisiana statutes regarding personal protection, the use of deadly force, etc. And understand the definitions of each of the acts they are citing too. Then read it again and again. Then print it out and put a copy where you can read it again. Once you understand it thoroughly, it will never leave your conscious thought as long as you have that hand gun in your pants. And you will have as much of an understanding of that law as any attorney or judge, or CHP instructor has. You see, there is no definitive answer. And anyone that tells you differently is blowing opinionated and rhetorical smoke up your ass!

Sure, you can have a thug pointing a gun at your face and yelling that if you don't give him your money he is going to shoot you, and as soon as turns away for a second to see if anyone is looking, you draw and blow his head off! That seems pretty cut and dry right? But even then in this really screwed up world of ours, some prosecutor may find a reason to indict you. Perhaps you "took advantage of him" when you shot him? Look at the way these phony justice groups pour into the street when a criminal (you know, that sweet boy that would never do anything like what they cop is describing), is justifiably killed by a cop!

See, it is really sad that you almost have to be murdered to perhaps not worry about surviving a deadly force encounter. Cause short of that, and being able to prove it, you will be arrested or detained, and if you are free and clear of criminal charges, you still may be sued by the criminal's family after the fact. Though, I am not sure if we wised up in this state and guaranteed a justifiable shooter immunity from civil recourse.

Bottom line, you will know when you should use deadly force. Problem is, will everyone else agree with your decision if you win that fight for your life in the street in the first place?

FWIW: USCCA has some great advice for CC'ers after an incident. And some great insurance if you have one. ;)

Top Bottom