Hello to all from Hammond, LA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I actually joined this forum back in Nov of 2013, searching for something I don't remember now. Been a gun owner and shooter for 35 years. Previously lived in Laplace for 33 years and shot mostly at Nick's Guns and Range in Garyville. Now live in Hammond......no more floods for me hopefully.
    Sure wish there was a nice range closer to me now than Nick's.
    Anyways, great resource/forum you folks have here. Perhaps we shall meet FTF one day.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    You obviously weren't in Hammond last Friday. Welcome to the board from another Hammond guy. Not too many good ranges around here unfortunately. Hit me up one day if you want to go shoot.

I surely was, didn't flood around my house in Hammond. Not even water in the street. I picked location very carefully when I purchased a house in Hammond, researched FEMA flood and topo maps before hand.

I had 13" of water in my house in Laplace 8/29/12, from Hurricane Isaac storm surge. Slept in my attic that Wed night, flood water came about 1230. I watched the water come in while I lifted things, moved items to my attic, emptied my gun safe. And my car got flooded in my garage too. Floods SUCK!

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    That's hard to go through that kind of water in your house. I'm glad you are in a better area now. I've never seen Hammond flood like it did the other day. I live about 1 mile west of the 190 bridge in Robert so I was very nervous, but luckily we didn't get any water.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    That's hard to go through that kind of water in your house. I'm glad you are in a better area now. I've never seen Hammond flood like it did the other day. I live about 1 mile west of the 190 bridge in Robert so I was very nervous, but luckily we didn't get any water.

I'm very glad to read you did ok, jdavid. I attended Crossgate Church services while i was displaced back in 2012, stayed in Ponchatoula and Hammond for a while til my house was livable again. I checked Sunday and Crossgate didn't get any water in the buildings....thankfully. The Crossgate church and Operation Blessing folks are playing a hand in recovery efforts/volunteering right now in Robert.

a few "gems" from 8-29-12.

looking out my front door:

Obama, Jindal, Mary Landrieu, Secret Service agents, and my next door neighbor Trey (back to us) and his uncle, standing in my front yard Labor Day, Monday Sept 3nd, 2012.

Last edited:

EightySix

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Welcome to Hammond and Bayou Shooter. I'm a transplant from LaPlace also. Born and raised there. I left 17 yrs ago after frequent gunshots nearby and a few hitting my fence a few feet from my kids bedroom window. Glad I left.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Thx EightySix. I moved to Laplace in Oct 1979 after I married a woman from Norco. I really enjoyed living in Laplace until Katrina. Katrina changed our world in so many ways.....mostly for the worse IMO. Very happy I left Laplace. We're going to have to meet one day somewhere in Hammond and chat, talk about the old days, Andouille Festival at the former dragstrip kind of days :) Back when there was 2 signal lights in Laplace on the airline. You know better than I for sure. Bet we know some folks in common. Two things I miss in Laplace today are my long time dentist Bobby Ory and his crew, and the chinese restaurant on Hwy 51, Lee Anna owner. And Pier 51 on new 51 too....some good seafood der.
    Where do you go shoot close by? Tallow Creek range maybe? I have not been to Tallow Creek yet, but what I read on line doesn't sound promising. I'm sure TC range flooded temporarily last Thurs-Fri-Sat.

Last edited:

EightySix

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I either go to Bass Pro or Nicks. I'm in the same boat as you hoping to find a place closer.
    I remember riding my bike to watch the drag races and when the Andouille Festival was at the drag strip, it was great. Ah, the good ol days.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I moved out of Norco in 1983.... Born and raised there

Did you know the Jacksons, lived at 541 Goodhope St? John and Mary were the parents (deceased). Scot, Sybil, Tim, Ray and Bob (twins), and David. I was married to Sybil. They lived directly across from RTL's lot, on Goodhope St.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Where do you go shoot close by? Tallow Creek range maybe? I have not been to Tallow Creek yet, but what I read on line doesn't sound promising. I'm sure TC range flooded temporarily last Thurs-Fri-Sat.

Tallow creek is about all we have close to Hammond. It's pretty much the worst shooting range, but it is a place to go shoot if you are in a bind. The best place close is Honey Island, but I think they are still closed due to flooding.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom