Marksman

Suppressed Thompson Encore.

Thinking about purchasing a 16 inch 45 acp barrel for my Thompson Pro Hunter. Not sure how quite the 45 would be out of a 16 inch barrel. I don't reload, so I'm pretty sure I'd just be shooting the standards Winchester white box ammo. Anyone have any experience shooting a suppressed 45 from a 16 inch barrel?
    We few, we happy few. We band of Brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my Brother.

Marksman

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by OtterBob View Post
    Thinking about purchasing a 16 inch 45 acp barrel for my Thompson Pro Hunter. Not sure how quite the 45 would be out of a 16 inch barrel. I don't reload, so I'm pretty sure I'd just be shooting the standards Winchester white box ammo. Anyone have any experience shooting a suppressed 45 from a 16 inch barrel?
    I shoot 45 ACP out of a 16" JRC carbine and 45 LC out of a 16" marlin lever gun. Both suppressed with Octane 45 HD and sound great. Had a 16" 300 blackout barrel for my TC Encore. It sounded good too.

Most 45 ACP loads are subsonic, even +P, at least out of a pistol barrel. I'd assume there's not a enough powder in there to go supersonic at 16" unless you're shooting a real high pressure +P ammo. The cheap plinking ammo I shoot has never cracked out of the long guns.
    Last edited by HogHunter1203; March 16th, 2016 at 04:42 PM.

Weekend Warrior

Premium Member
    Yep. That should be quiet as the grave.

Marksman
    My head is spinning from looking at at all the barrel options. I can't figure out which barrel length to buy. Looking for a threaded 45 acp barrel. Want it short so it can be as quite as possible. I'm sick of studying it. LOL. Any suggestions from you pros?
    We few, we happy few. We band of Brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my Brother.

Marksman

Gold Member

Not a pro, but have shot Encore, Bergara, MGM, and EABCO barrels. All shoot fine, around 1 MOA. Was able to squeeze 1/2 MOA out of the MGM, but that was with 6.5x47. No experience with the 45 acp barrels, but I'd bet they are all worth shooting. If you do decide to SBR the receiver, then I'd go as short as you can and still clear the hand guard. If not, go 16". Several manufacturers will let you do a custom order and can do threads to your liking. Also, I'm no expert, but I'd think the longer barrels would be quieter (more powder burn off before exiting) as long as you don't break the supersonic barrier. It's been a while, but I'd guess price will run from $150-450 depending on manufacturer and options.
    Last edited by HogHunter1203; March 23rd, 2016 at 09:04 PM.

16" barrels with pistol calibers have very low muzzle pressures, they suppress quite well.

People spend to much time talking and not enough time listening or thinking.

Marksman
    eMGunslinger, in your experience would I be better off to SBR my Encore with a 6.5 inch barrel, 10 inch barrel, or not SBR it at all and just run a 16 inch barrel? My over all goal is to get it as quiet as possible. I'd really prefer it to be a SBR so its short and compact with my suppressor attached

45 is great to suppress. There are a lot of lightweight durable suppressors out there. Liberty makes a new one called a Cosmic. You can open it up like the Mystic models and clean it so for those cheap lead bullets, you go it made. You can also put a fixed barrel adapter on the rear for the single shots and a recoil booster for the handguns. Silencerco now has the Hybrid that will do all sorts of stuff up to 45 cal, and is safe for 45/70 and 308. I like the Hybrid, but the Cosmic wins for us lead shooters.

Dale Landry
    Landry's Guns and class 3
    225-694-3376

Marksman
    Thanks, I already have the suppressor, I'm just trying to figure out what length barrel I need for the SBR. I want to keep it as quiet as I can.

10-16" is gonna be the same, if you have a really nice can (Dead Air or Rugged) you could go even shorter in the 5-6.5" range. Remember the gun is only going to get SO quiet

People spend to much time talking and not enough time listening or thinking.

Marksman
    Thanks for the response. My 45 can is a Gemtech GM45. It's nice on my 357 handi rifle. I am thinking really hard about a 6.5 inch barrel.

I had 2 built awhile back to sell. 10" MGM barrel, 45 Colt. Had Bowers CAC 45 on one and Lane LLC Scorpion 458 on the other. Both were loud dry, both were very quiet with a short spray or Rem Oil up the snout.
    Last edited by Landry308; January 18th, 2017 at 09:55 AM.
    Shooting Supplies
    Class 3/SOT/Houma, LA
    Sales, Transfers, Special Orders

Marksman
    got all my stuff finally for my suppressed t/c encore 45/70 20" threaded barrel and silencerco hybrid... that thing is crazy quiet... I got a good load with 13gr of trailboss and 405 laser cast around 1050fps, its so quiet its not even funny!!!!! I know its gonna be hard for yall to believe but I got a 16" .300 aac encore barrel that I tried a couple subsonic loads with an silencerco omega 30, and the 45-70 is actually quieter, and hits like a hammer. I get about 1" groups at 75 yards with it. I can shoot it off my back porch and my wife cant even hear it inside. all you hear is the hammer falling, a large "swooshing noise" and the 405gr slamming my gong at 75 yards like a 10lb hammer. according to ballistics im well over 750ft/lbs of energy all the way out to 250yrds, will be dropping like a rock though, I think im around 970fp/energy under 100 yards. more than enough for the deer and hogs I shoot!!! I cant wait to whack something with "thors hammer"

Marksman
    12 inch 45acp. It's stupid quiet and while I haven't had any luck, a friend of mine has killed one doe and this nice 6 point with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marksman
    my encore 45-70 20" with hybrid shooting 405gr with 13-14 gr trail boss at around 1050fps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gun2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	67805   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gun.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	67806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gun3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	67807   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gun4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	67808  

What load did your bud use?

My buddy had a 338 whisper like the one above. It was stupid quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Marksman
    Factory ammo. 230 grain Winchester Ranger