Open carry with iwb?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler1011

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2015
    Houma, LA
    Im am currently waiting for my chp to come in i got the comformation monday, my question is could i open carry with my shirt trucked in with my iwb holster with only part of the gun showing? I figured i could use these next few days of waiting to break in the holster.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    There is some verbage in the law on what is considered concealed so try and look it up to make sure you know this. They have some very knowledgeable people who hopefully will chime in that know way more than me, but I probably would wait until I got the permit to do what you want to do. No need to put yourself in a tricky spot when you are so close to getting your permit.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If the pistol is visible it is not concealed, and open carry is not wise. Only wear the pistol around the house while waiting for your permit.

Tyler1011

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2015
    Houma, LA
    Thanks for the replys, i went check the mail 30 minutes after i posted this and there was a little manila envelope sitting in there with my chp in it. Lol

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    If u carry in a iwb it is not open carried it is mostly concealed in the eyes of the law.

You are wrong. If you think you are not wrong, please provide where the "eyes of the law" stipulate it. Like a specific statute. Typically we are more concerned with the letter of the law than the "eyes of the law." ;)

IWB is definitely open carry.

Last edited:

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I once had a small town police officer tell me that he could take me in for carrying my pistol in a holster because it was partially concealed. This was YEARS ago but it can happen depending on their interpretation of the rules. How many people get arrested only to have the charges dropped due to the misinterpretation of the rules every day in this state?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If u carry in a iwb it is not open carried it is mostly concealed in the eyes of the law.

If the pistol is visible, it is open carry. But why open carry and draw attention? Unless you have a badge and handcuffs next to a pistol, people should never know it exists until something bad happens that would necessitate someone with said badge and cuffs showing up.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Just like there's opposing views to this topic, it's he same way in reality. It's what ever that officer at the moment thinks you are doing. And if he is on the opposing view, than you will have your day in court trying to prove your innocence. Seems like a lot of hassle for a gray matter

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    If the pistol is visible, it is open carry. But why open carry and draw attention? Unless you have a badge and handcuffs next to a pistol, people should never know it exists until something bad happens that would necessitate someone with said badge and cuffs showing up.

Agreed, but keep in mind there are otherwise good people who cannot get a CHP who still have a right to be able to defend themselves.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Just like there's opposing views to this topic, it's he same way in reality. It's what ever that officer at the moment thinks you are doing. And if he is on the opposing view, than you will have your day in court trying to prove your innocence. Seems like a lot of hassle for a gray matter

Actually it is not that simple. While yes, pragamatically you could be arrested for anything technically, being able to articulate the legalities to your actions in the face of a misunderstanding due to ignorance of fact, could be the best of both worlds.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Moot point, but if you're going to carry open get a belt holster. I have one of these and am very happy for $20. https://www.daltechforce.com/gun-holsters?product_id=175

Don't wear a concealed-carry designed holster with your pistol showing and look like a nerd.
    11924062.gif

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I almost crack up every time I see open carry with a cheap holster. Outside of a range, I never open carry. If I ever did. then I would use a retention holster and an extra mag pouch while wearing slacks and a polo shirt. People do not get alarmed if you look professional.

kj999

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Denham Springs
    Concealed Handgun―any handgun as defined in R.S. 40:1379.3(J)(1), which is carried on a
    person in such a manner as to hide or obscure the handgun from plain view.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I still like the guy that lives in my area that has the Concealed Weapon Permit shield next to his open carry Ruger in his Uncle Mike cheap holster. :doh:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Actually it is not that simple. While yes, pragamatically you could be arrested for anything technically, being able to articulate the legalities to your actions in the face of a misunderstanding due to ignorance of fact, could be the best of both worlds.

Arguing with an officer gets you no where, take your ticket and plead your case in court

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Concealed Handgun―any handgun as defined in R.S. 40:1379.3(J)(1), which is carried on a
    person in such a manner as to hide or obscure the handgun from plain view.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Now if only you would have posted the actual statute that matters. LOL.

You need to read Louisiana Revised Statute 14:95

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    If you're going to Open Carry, please use a holster with some sort of retention capability. Using an IWB or any other holster without retention is asking for trouble. There was a story a few years back about a guy with a concealed carry license who left his cover garment in his car while going in to a gas station to pay. Someone was robbing the place and pulled the guy's gun from the IWB and shot him dead.

As to what Louisiana considers Open or Concealed, the Supreme Court ruled that if any part of the gun is visible, or if it is possible to tell that someone has a gun, then it is NOT concealed under state law. Mississippi held the opposite, saying that even a piece of string tied around it made it concealed (by logical extension, holding it in your hand would, too). Their Legislature was supposed to address this in the last year or two, but I don't recall the outcome.

Top Bottom