Join BayouShooter For Free

Marksman

User Info Menu

Any ATV mechanics?

I have a 2012 Honda Rancher EFI with very low milage.... It starts to cut out and backfire at higher speeds between 25-30mph or so... Other than that it idles and runs perfect. It has fresh clean fuel but has sat up for longer than I should have let it sit up with ethanol fuel in it... I brought it to work with me and was going to try to locate the fuel filter (which I believe is in the fuel pump housing) and check it out.. Do any of you guys have any ideas or pointers? Thanks in advance!
    Baton Rouge, La

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but he'll have to beat you to death with it, cause it's going to be empty."

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Marksman

User Info Menu

Check fuel pressure. If you cant figure it out... www.thebigr.us

Marksman

User Info Menu

Before you tear into anything give some seafoam a shot. Follow the recomended dose for cleaning and see how that does first. Stuff is pretty goo .

Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sksshooter View Post
    Before you tear into anything give some seafoam a shot. Follow the recomended dose for cleaning and see how that does first. Stuff is pretty goo .
    This. Also check the air filter and air intake tube for obstructions like leaves, wasp nest and such.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Very common for rodents to make homes in the air box causing problems or dirt divers build inside the exhaust. Both of which can cause you trouble. Remove existing fuel and replace with some fresh fuel and seafoam.
    Hope this helps.

Not a Fed.

User Info Menu

I use seafoam a lot
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The problems we face today are
    there because the people who work
    for a living are outnumbered by those
    who vote for a living.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I have already ran seafoam through it and air box is clean as a whistle...I literally have under 100 miles on this thing.. I pulled the fuel pump off yesterday and pulled it apart to get to the filter which to me seemed a little dirty.. Hope to pick up a new filter today and see what happens.. Thanks again.
    Baton Rouge, La

"Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but he'll have to beat you to death with it, cause it's going to be empty."

sportsman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Throw in a new spark plug just in case yours may be bad

Marksman

User Info Menu

Think alike

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Diamond View Post
    Throw in a new spark plug just in case yours may be bad
    We think alike... I pulled it off to bring with me to pick up a
    new one while I'm there!
    Baton Rouge, La