Advantage group Concealed Carry Course - short review.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cheese

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    After an embarrassing amount of time, I finally quit procrastinating and took a concealed carry course. I had taken a class with the Advantage Group in the past (it was an introductory class, ½ day medical class and ½ day pistol class) and went back to them for their concealed carry class.

I was not disappointed.

A few things surprised me: The class was 75% women, which I didn’t expect. There really is a need for basic gun education – a few questions were asked that were very, very basic. Things I thought that everyone just “knew”, but that knowledge, for me, was based on a lifetime of shooting and education.

The morning was spend in the classroom and the real value in the class was the discussion regarding “when not to shoot”. The instructor constantly made the statement “you make a better witness for the police than a defendant”. At the end of the day, you have to look at yourself in the mirror and sleep at night. Those reality checks are invaluable, in my estimation.

The shooting portion of the class didn’t disappoint. I was able to work on the basics of drawing from concealment, target transitions, reloads, etc. The newer shooters were able start their own work on these skills. I never consider time spent on the basics to be wasted - you do the small things right, you tend to get the big things right, and I’m not an expert, or even a particularly good shooter. Each class member was able to get individual time with the instructors.

The range time makes this class worth the extra cost. I heartily endorse it.

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    My wife and two other women I know where there also. I chose to send my wife there and pay the extra for the range instruction as I've taken your average chp class and typically all you get is lectured all day. She shoots with me about once a month but that was her first time in a class. She enjoyed it but she thought it moved a little slow being there were so many beginners. She would now like to take more advanced courses which is great.

cheese

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I didn't mind that the shooting portion moved slowly - I knew that there were people there that really needed the instruction. I used the time to really drill down and try to get every movement as correct as possible.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Advantage Group does a great job.
    I have taken their Pistol 1 and Carbine 1 classes and picked up lots of info even after shooting forever and having a CHP for almost 5 years. There are tons of people (not just females) that are new to firearms, this is a great way for them to learn without the gun shop commando filling their brain with crap. They can be comfortable asking questions.
    Us older guys forget how much time and money we have invested in ourselves in learning/training; the newbies have to start somewhere.

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    Spend the day with two of my daughters who were taking the CWL /CCW/CHP class with Advantage Group.
    They both enjoy the class it was nice for them to experience other shooting instructors, then Dad or a Husband.
    I always say a fire arm is like a power tool (chain saw etc.), you would not hand it to some one and say to " go at it "
    There is a learning curve, cut branches ,logs before you can take down a tree. Same with shooting.

If you going to carry, take some classes. I have pay for dance, baseball , swimming for my kids.
    Do this for your self, Advantage Group classes are not for competition but for real world use.

They both came to me and ask for a CCW and I have seen what others offer A.G. is where I sign them up!

PS there was a total of four ladies out there shooting today, and shot much more the the 36 rounds for the state requirements.

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    I always say a fire arm is like a power tool (chain saw etc.), you would not hand it to some one and say to " go at it "
    There is a learning curve, cut branches ,logs before you can take down a tree. Same with shooting.

Wise words. Start at the beginning grasshopper, then work your way up!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom