advanced NVR or IP camera guys step inside please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I know there are some advance users and installers on here.

I have a HIkvision nvr 7608 with POE to cameras.. I have plans for 8, right now I have 5 or 6 working. I currently have local storage only, and am starting to price cloud storage..
    Here is my issue, I have great resolution cameras, 3 meg or higher and I want to store that size at 30 FPS .. who has the best solution for cloud? What price should I be expecting?

I am considering, just hiding the nvr and battery backup in the attic and then snake a nas somewhere else for storage. The fees I am seeing are nearly 500 a month..

What say you?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Not a camera pro, but know a good bit about storage.

The first question is how much data? Total you want to store and added monthly.
    Hi Res video takes up alot of space.

Motion or 24 hour recording? If motion activated, how many estimated hours of recording per camera?
    Do you need 30 FPS?

8 cameras at 3 mag, 30 fps, 8 hrs recording average per camera, at medium video quality is is 3.27 TB per week. :eek3:
    30 fps is realtime. 3-5 fps should keep you from missing anything and brings the storage down to 544.32 GB per week.

Use the storage calculator below to get the storage you need if you haven't yet.
    Then it's just figuring the cost of data storage. There are other ways of offsite storage besides in the cloud.

Storage calculator.
    http://www.supercircuits.com/resources/tools/security-nvr-storage-calculator

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    There are other ways of offsite storage besides in the cloud.

Just wanted to elaborate on this a little while I have a few minutes to spare.

Why are you wanting offsite storage?
    So the thief doesn't take the device? In case of disaster?

If you have another building, friend, or family close by, you can use 2 Ubiquity NanoStation M to create a bridge to that location and have a NAS or even your NVR at that location.
    They make the Nano in 900 MHz to 5 GHz with speeds to 150+ Mbps and a range of 6-9 miles if you have line of sight and a high tower. From a roof top mount with line of sight you should be good for about 1 mile. We use them for much shorter runs to bridge buildings and run ~10 computers and VOIP phones over the connection and it is rock solid.

This gives you offsite storage for very little upfront cost and no ongoing cost.
    NanoStations are $50-$150 depending on the frequency chosen.

This solution will not protect your data in a disaster that affects both location, but will protect from theft or fire.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Mostly for theft of footage is reason for offsite..
    I had considered this, and this is more inline with what I do for work.. I was looking at some options . The NVR really needs to be onsite for POE and primary control of monitor and primary storage.
    I did not consider the network part of the NAS however being wireless. I was considering just network to nas in attic but its approx hot as hell in the summer and I felt the nas would suffer from this.
    My first option I thought of was cloud, but the more I consider things, local to network storage is more inline.. Thanks for input guys,.. keep it coming..

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I'm not familiar with NVRs. Can it stream data live to a NAS or just backup on a schedule?
    It would need to stream live to the NAS to be effective against theft of the NVR.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I'm not familiar with NVRs. Can it stream data live to a NAS or just backup on a schedule?
    It would need to stream live to the NAS to be effective against theft of the NVR.

I think its like most everything, several levels of options depending on what you buy.. I am looking now for my particular nvr..
    It seems my version of the NVR can in fact record to network nas. realtime.
    The data to drive is incremental, I have some things masked off for activity and motion.. Some depending on time, are not masked off..
    I really like this nvr. 16 channels with 8 POE with a pretty big power budget..
    The cameras are a mix of HIKvision with one being a acti I think or a Geo..

Now to find an opensource NAS I seemed to remember existing 5 or 6 years ago.. lol

Last edited:

critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    I completely agree with whitsend. Ubiquity NanoStations are the way to go. I love Ubiquiti stuff - cheap and works awsome. I don't use crappy consumer grade routers with built in WiFi any more thanks to ubiquity. I set up a Mikrotik router with no WiFi and connected it to an Ubiquity UniFi AC Lite access point in my house and get huge WiFi coverage and no dead zones any more. Really great stuff they make. But getting back to your situation. We did pretty much the same set up for my father-in-law. He's got a business down in Delacroix and we didn't want to fool around with running wires for regular analog HD-TVI cameras since his dock is on one side of the street and he has an office across the street. So we just wound up setting up IP cameras around his dock and used ubiquity stations to power them with POE and to send/receive the data from the cameras to an NVR across the street. They are a really good set up. If you have a shed with A/C or some where relatively close by you can store your recording set up you could use this system. Highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom